PDA

View Full Version : Clouds that render quickly...

wacom
05-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Hypervoxels are great- and you can get great clouds out of them, but they render oh so slowly. Baked voxels seem to take almost as long to render...and don't look good. I need some ways to make clouds that are convincing, but they don't have to be uber real like Hypervoxel clouds. It would be nice if they had some movement though...

The problem is compounded by the fact that is has to work from fairly close up, not just far away. I have a scene where things have to be living on top of the clouds. I can get by with a lot in in DF using FN and what not...but I'm not like'n it as much. Anyone with a motion blur solution, or something as simple as multilayered objects that point at the camera etc.- please post. I've been looking around and just can't seem to find anything that suits my needs/taste.

Thanks in advance-
Gideon

mgrusin
05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
You know this, but close clouds are hard. ;) The Ogo-Taiki plugin makes gorgeous clouds, but I've had clipping problems when getting too close with the camera, which I haven't been able to solve yet. Most of the time I'll comp in photos of real clouds due to time constraints; if you do this in a few layers it can look surprisingly 3D - from a distance.

Do you need to move the camera? If not, you could try comping in a real picture, with some sort of shadow-catching object for your characters. Even pans and tilts will work with this. But if you want to fly the camera, the cloud needs to move, and you're back to a real 3D object...

Good luck! -MG.