PDA

View Full Version : Audio in Layout

gpaulin
05-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Ever since I've installed LW (8.2.1; dual G5 2.5GHz w/ NV6800) I have problems with audio in Layout. Whatever I do it won't play at normal rate, but about 75% speed.

It has something to do with OpenGL refresh since it sounds perfectly normal only when I drag Layout windows around, preventing refresh.

I've tried previous LW installations - problem remains. OS doesn't matter also: 10.3, 10.4 - same thing. :(

Any idea what's wrong?

gpaulin
05-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Can someone, please, confirm that he or she has no such problem in Layout (meaning: can actually import and play audio in real-time)?

I cant' find any advice on the web and NewTek support didn't reply to my mail sent couple of weeks ago. :( In the mean time, I've tried LW on other Macs (mostly single G4 machines) and there is always the same problem. Maybe I'm using "wrong" audio files (although they sound OK when running Win version of LW).

Heeeelp.

Lewis
05-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi Goran !

OK As I mentioned earlier on e-mail that works fine on PC (win XP SP1) this works normaly - no play problems. I now even tried to animate simpler object (rotation trough time) and it still plays audio normaly.

'Cmon guys Try this on MAC. Load any WAV file in scene editor (should be showed on timeline) and click play on right corner to see is Audio plays slower than normal ? Don't RENDER preview - just play.

I tried every single thing on PC but it works normally and i don't have MAC to try :(? It looks like MAC Only BUG and if it's true then we need to report this to NewTEK so that they can work on it for next patch or ASAP.

cheers

noiseboy
05-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Sooo, on a PC when you load audio and play it back it's all glitchy right? but it plays back at the right speed, what happens if you change the framerate of the scene, Does the audio still playback correctly? just checking here because I've never used LW on a PC so I don't know how it should work. For me ( on a Mac) the audio playback has been rubbish. If you set the frame rate in options to play at exact rate and the frame rate to 30fps then the audio appears to playback at about the right speed. However if you set the frame rate to 15fps, the audio then plays back at half the speed even if the playback is set to exact rate.
so in answer to your question yes in my opinion the audio playback on a Mac is broken and always has been, unless someone can prove me wrong.
one thing that does seem to be a bug in LW8 is that the fixed frequency option doesnt toggle as it did in 7.5

Paul Goodrich
05-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Well,
Just took advantage of the 3d world Mimic deal and I have to say the audio playback inside Lightwave is as an earier poster put it "Rubbish". I found it fairly useless to do lip sync either inside Mimic or Lightwave. I'm wondering if this is just the way it is.(Crappy) Or if it's a Mac only bug again. I found scrubbing and playback to be very slow and glitchy. This is on a Dual G5 2 gig with the stock video card and 3.5 gig of ram. Thanks.
Paul Goodrich

gpaulin
05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Finally something useful! :)

Now when I know that it doesn't work at all I'll go back to square one and pull NewTek's sleeve to fix it.

Thx guys.

Lewis
05-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys for participating in this :)

BTW noiseboy - On PC when you load audio and hit play ALL is OK - playing well on eacact fps you want but On MAC it is a problem, that's why i asked someone on MAC to test it since I don't have any MACs and Goran had problem in his MAC(s).

Now we know 99% it's MAC only problem (another one :( )

This needs to be posted in BUG workshop for 8.3.

cheers