PDA

View Full Version : edge straightener

pauland
05-07-2005, 05:41 PM
It would be really cool if you could select a row of points (vertices) and have modeller straighten the points into a straight row of points between the first and last selected (the first and last selected points don't move). This would save a lot of eyeballing for edges not lying on a vertical or horizontal axis. This would be dead easy to do too (hey maybe easy for an lscript developer).

Paul

lardbros
05-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Hmmm, i agree, this could be handy. Although, i am slightly tentative about seconding this request because it's very likely someone will go ... "god you're so dumb, this has been implemented since version 1" :D :D I'm sure there is some way of achieving this already, just gotta find it.

Karmacop
05-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Search on flay for taut ... I think that's what its called.

EDIT: Ok, try this out http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=370

pauland
05-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Thank you!

lardbros
05-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Search on flay for taut ... I think that's what its called.

EDIT: Ok, try this out http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=370

I'm sure there is some way of achieving this already, just gotta find it.

What did i say?? :D

pauland
05-08-2005, 08:19 AM
The plugin is dated 1997 - I can't beleive I've never heard it mentioned before. Ever.

It's gone into my modeller config and works great. Thanks again Karmacop.

Karmacop
05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I think there's also a uv taut plugin that someone has done recently. But yeah, it's an old over looked plugin :)

And don't thank me, thank lardbros for saying there's some way to do it :p

pauland
05-08-2005, 10:18 AM
A particularly nice feature is that you can constrain the effect to two rather than three axes, so it's possible to create a straight edge but keep a curved profile as well.

It's a hidden gem!

Paul

lardbros
05-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I think there's also a uv taut plugin that someone has done recently

Oh my god.... it feels like my birthday. Like my parents hid my prezzies away since 1997 and have got them out for me all at once. YAY. That would be highly useful.

And don't thank me, thank lardbros for saying there's some way to do it :p

hahaha, i would love to take the credit, but it's all yours! :D

Wade
05-08-2005, 10:47 AM
NT - offer something to guys who put this together and add it in, give it a button, document it! I think perhaps 1/2 or 3/4 or what LW can do (with added plugins) is buried, or just not having had to dots connected as they should be. -Pun intended- ;)

Karmacop
05-08-2005, 11:45 AM
This would actually be really easy to code, so I'm not sure why Newtek haven't made their own version. It can be very helpful, and as Wade has said, a lot of helpful plugins are often ignored by users. I know that I would never use an lscript before I started coding them myself. Now I know lscripts can be just as good as real plugins :)