PDA

View Full Version : Super/Smooth Shift

ednachman
05-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I can't seem to understand what the difference is between the two tools.

pauland
05-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Have you tried reading the help descriptions of the tools? It's explained there.

Paul

ednachman
05-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Yes, I have and it's not clear to me.

pauland
05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Interactively they work differently. Super shift gives you an interactive combination of shift + scale. It is possible to do that in one step using smoothshift and the numeric panel, but not through the mouse.

Super shift is like a multi-polygon bevel. It's also got a few variants on the numeric panel.

I'll agree they are very similar, but supershift is giving you two interactive operations at the same time.

Paul

lardbros
05-07-2005, 06:24 PM
The biggest difference i've found is that supershift crashes alot on me! I'm sure it works great but using it on a golf ball object didnt work at all! Shame really.

ednachman
05-07-2005, 07:48 PM
JPaul,

Thanks for the explanation. As I understand it, "Smooth Shift" takes a polygon and brings it out or in.
"Super Shift" not only goes in or out but expands or dimishes the face of the polygon.

Thanks for the patience. I really do go to the "Help" file first.

Ed

pauland
05-08-2005, 03:05 AM
The thing to do when looking at tools like these is to make a flat box with plenty of polygons, then select some polygons from it. try out bot h tools and see what happens when you move the mouse in either direction. Then do the same thing after hitting "n" to see the numeric requester.

Don't wait for a real model - play with a simple mesh and just throw it away afterwards. Do this with any tool you're not sure about.

Have fun!

Paul