PDA

View Full Version : Smart Folders and LW

Gui Lo
05-07-2005, 10:49 AM
I installed Tiger and I made some simple Smart Folders which contain all the movies I had. Anoth Smart Folder I have is for presentation purposes. It is contains all the folders I have that are coded red. This means that I can just change the colour of folders to red and then they appear automatically in my Presentation folder.

Since Smart Folders can be shown in the Sidebar I thought it would be neet to have a smart folder that contains all my Objects. This is amazingly useful since I no longer have to hunt for them in seperate folders.

There must be other ways to use spotlight, Smart folders, Automator or even the dashboard to enhance lightwave.

Have you found something that really helps Lightwave on the Mac.

Gui Lo

Captain Obvious
05-08-2005, 11:58 AM
A Screamernet statistics/controller for Dashboard, perhaps?

eblu
05-10-2005, 01:38 PM
smart folders are... well... not folders

they look like folders, and act like folders.... in the finder.
for the rest of the world (apps, networks, etc...) smart folders are text files.

they are text files containing a search string for spotlight.

I guarantee that lightwave and screamernet will have difficulties with smart folders. If not obvious "its broken and don't even work at all" problems then problems with subtleties. ie: network connections have anomalous results opening smart folders.

also smart folders show every indication of getting more fleshed out in the near future, possibly changing how they work.

for now I'd keep my critical workflows away from smart folders, things such as screamernet rendering, file dependencies... otherwise you are asking for trouble.