PDA

View Full Version : OT: Photoshop CS2 supports HDRI's

Ztreem
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I think it's a great thing that we finally can create and edit HDR images in PS. :cool:

monovich
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
have you played with the feature yet? Can it do panoramic transformations like HDR Shop and others?

-s

phrick
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm going to go OT on the OT here.. I hope you don't mind.

Does anybody know if CS2 finally has a Nikon RAW (NEF) importer that doesn't screw up the image quality?

Ztreem
05-06-2005, 10:57 AM
have you played with the feature yet? Can it do panoramic transformations like HDR Shop and others?

Nope, I don't think so, but you can load and make HDRI's and blur and exposure them in PS CS2.

Does anybody know if CS2 finally has a Nikon RAW (NEF) importer that doesn't screw up the image quality?

I don't know, look at Adobe's site for more specific information.

geoff3dnz
05-06-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm going to go OT on the OT here.. I hope you don't mind.

Does anybody know if CS2 finally has a Nikon RAW (NEF) importer that doesn't screw up the image quality?Don't know, but here's an interesting article about Nikon's decision to encrypt the white balance information in their NEF format and how Adobe don't like it:
http://photoshopnews.com/?p=226

Mr_Bester
05-06-2005, 08:01 PM
You can download the CS2 trial @ adobe.com and it will work for 30 days without any restrictions.
Dug

barnabythebear
05-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Hiya,

Yes, I though the HDRI support looked interesting but i'm sure i read it only supported 32bit HDRI, not 96bit. Does this limit the use, or am i getting the wrong end of the stick :)

ta

nige.

geoff3dnz
05-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I think that's 32bits per channel.

Ztreem
05-07-2005, 04:09 PM
I didn't know that there was two kinds of HDRI ???

I did a test in LW, I rendered a ball with a HDRI as reflection map. First I rendered with the orginal stpeters_probe image, then one with the same image but saved as a 32 bit HDRI from photoshop. And theres no difference at all.

Captain Obvious
05-08-2005, 11:51 AM
There are no 32-bit HDRIs. Like goeff3dnz said, it's per channel, meaning 96 bits (or 128 bits) in total.

jhopfenblatt
05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
So, is the process similar to what you'd do in HDRshop? i.e. grab a bunch of different-exposure pictures you took and then composite them into one HDR image? Or could I somehow make a "fake" HDRI using features in photoshop out of whatever picture I want? If the latter is true, that'd be cool as ****.

Anyway, I'm just gonna wait and upgrade my Adobe CS through my university. Educational versions = awesome. :P

Captain Obvious
05-08-2005, 04:34 PM
My guess is that it's simply a Photoshop that can load (and save) HDR images. That means you can render a scene and save the output as HDR, open it in Photoshop and do gamma adjustments and such in full floating point precision. Awesome.

Theoretically, this could also be used to 'increase' the dynamic range of a certain image. Make some of the whites darker and some of the whites brighter than 255/255/255.

barnabythebear
05-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Hiya,

Sorry for the confusion, im a bit thick :)

I read this without thinking:

"32-bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) support

Create and edit 32-bit images, and combine multiple exposures into a single, 32-bit image with expanded range from the deepest shadows to the brightest highlights."

It does look like u can use multiple exposures to create an image like HDRShop?

ta

nige.