PDA

View Full Version : Error - No Visible Layers were found...

tommymamn
05-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been having a very annoying problem lately. When starting a session of LW I get the following error message: "No visible layers were found" and then after clicking ok a few times getting the same message each time I click, my scene comes up with half of the polygons missing! The last time I worked on the scene (a few hours ago) it was working just fine. This has done this to me on two different occasions now and I'm getting miffed. The last time it happened, it just started working again for no apparent reason after a few hours. Reboot doesn't help either.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Tom

Surrealist.
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Do you knbow about the layers visibility pannel? I don't want to assume you don't but whenever I try to load a scene in which I have dissabled visability for all layers on an object, I get that message.

Just in case to cover all ground:

Check out each object in modeler: Windows/Layers Pannel. On the right hand column are supposed to be dots representing "visability" of the layer in Layout. In otherwords if the dot is not there Layout hides the object even though you can see it in modeler.

You may know of this allready, in fact I would think you would have to to be getting that message, (unless someone is supplying you with objects) but you might check just to make sure that none of the objects have visability turned off on all layers for some reason.

tommymamn
05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes - all layers are marked as "visible" in the layers panel. I still have the problem. I am pretty new to LW - I absolutely love it. This is frustrating though. Thanks for the idea - I'll keep plugging away at it...

Tom

John Fornasar
05-05-2005, 09:37 PM
did you move any layers in Modeler? Layout is going to look for polys in the same layers that they were in when you last saved the scene.

The first thing I would do is open the object in Modeler, see that it is intact.

If it is, you can either "Replace" the entire object in Layout (select the Object - then Replace (with Object) and select the same object from the file folder, or use Load Object Layer to just bring in the missing layer(s)

Surrealist.
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM
That's a good point. If the object is different, i.e. you saved it from modeler with geometry in other layers WITHOUT going back to Layout and saving the scene, this would make sense. Good thinking and yea replacing the object, resaving the scene, would fix it.

In theory, let us know how it goes.

tommymamn
05-06-2005, 06:16 AM
What the.....

I cleared my object from the scene and found that I had like 10 different instances of my object on top of itself? How did this happen??? I must not be doing something right in going between modeler and layout. Any pointers?

(Thanks for the tip by the way - my object is corrected!!)

Tom

mrunion
05-06-2005, 06:29 AM
When going between Modeller and Layout, and if you are using the Hub, are you using "Send To Layout" every time, or "Synchronize with Layout"? Using "Send to Layout" each time would probably cause "duplicated" copys of the object.

That's just a guess, though.

theo
05-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Don't let this faze you- the hub was designed to assist, course, but I find it actually hinders in a lot of cases.

Couple of things- Just load in the layers that are missing manually or KILL every modeller object (or layer in other words) and do a complete reload of all of your objects (or layers in other words) into that scene and then save it. **THEN if you are planning on making more adjustments to this particular object load it into a fresh Modeller FROM LAYOUT by using your handy dandy F12 button.

No biggy. Relax all is well in the fight against the evil force hordes.

I squeegee my scenes all the time like this just to make SURE that objects and layers are updating properly.

By the way rebotting isn't going to make a pint of difference here with this problem. The way to fix this is to fix the hub or integrate the two binary masses into one writhing mass of digital hubble-bubble.

tommymamn
05-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks a million guys. I'm sure I used "send to layout" a few times...

I will be much more careful from now on when using the hub. I will most assuredly be using the F12 key too from layout. :)

Thank you to Surrealist, John Fornasar, mrunion, and theo!

Tom

Surrealist.
05-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks a million guys. I'm sure I used "send to layout" a few times...

I will be much more careful from now on when using the hub. I will most assuredly be using the F12 key too from layout. :)

Thank you to Surrealist, John Fornasar, mrunion, and theo!

Tom

Good deal, glad you got it fixed!