PDA

View Full Version : crack Effect

zyhsu
05-04-2005, 09:19 PM
I am trying to make a crack on the ground, and it will crack like the effect on "Ice Age"!

Is there a plug-in exists for this? (non_comercial Prefered,but commericial is ok as well)

or, can I do that without using plug-in?

prospector
05-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Do an object replacement.
with each object just a tad wider and new cracks forming.

jds580s
05-04-2005, 10:50 PM
What I have done in the past is set up the ground object, then make a morph of the entire crack open as wide as needed.

Then in Layout add a null.
Apply Normal Displacement to the ground object
and change it to use morph map, and select your morph
For the texture make a gradient with distance to object
Choose your null as the object

now animate the null moving over the crack and it should
open as it passes over.

Follow that with the camera and you have a nice animated crack.

Justin

mrunion
05-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Pawel Olas has a plugin that does this sort of thing. I don't know how much it costs, but he has a tutorial cracking ice using the plugin:

http://www.polas.net/tutorials/index.php?section=SM

zyhsu
05-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Thanks you all! I will give all the suggestion a try!
I will offer an method of my own!
I am using a crack bump map with a null, and use a Alpha gradient set to distance to object, and I will move null to move texture, but the effect is not so convincing as morph!

spec24
05-09-2005, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=zyhsu]Thanks you all! I will give all the suggestion a try!
I will offer an method of my own!
I am using a crack bump map with a null, and use a Alpha gradient set to distance to object, and I will move null to move texture, but the effect is not so convincing as morph![/QUOTE

do we have any way to control a morph with a null/object? That would be very cool. The morph could be controlled via distance to null/object and the morph points would move relative to the distance of the null/object. I guess the effect would be somewhat like an effector object but you'd have more control. There must be a way to do this.... No time to try it over here though :)

hmm - I guess smartmorph takes care of this huh? Looks like a goog plugin.

jds580s
05-09-2005, 09:20 AM
do we have any way to control a morph with a null/object? That would be very cool. The morph could be controlled via distance to null/object and the morph points would move relative to the distance of the null/object. I guess the effect would be somewhat like an effector object but you'd have more control. There must be a way to do this.... No time to try it over here though :)

hmm - I guess smartmorph takes care of this huh? Looks like a goog plugin.

look at my post a few up. You can control a morph with a distance to object (null) gradient using normal displacement

Justin

jds580s
05-09-2005, 09:21 AM
and here is the scene and object