PDA

View Full Version : Best new toy!

WilliamVaughan
04-24-2003, 08:32 AM
I had the honor of playing on this new IBM monitor while I'm here in NY......This thing is amazing...(specs to come)

When I first loaded Modeler and Layout they looked like they were the size of a post it note......I was able to open every window at once and I even tested having 1 modeler open, photoshop, and 3 Layout windows open.....and standing 3 feet away from teh screen every icon and bit of test was very readable.....Holy Wow!

This is a must have for any DCC. I've asked them to send me some more info on it....there is even a better one then this according to the IBM rep.....I will be uanted in my sleep by this thing until I have one :)

Elmar Moelzer
04-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Holy Moly!
How large is that thing????
You need to tell us more!
CU
Elmar

extrabyte
04-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Here's a link to a bulletin about it over at CNet News.com.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-269081.html

4dartist
04-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Crazy hehe! I need 2 of those side by side and then ill be in heaven!

handron
04-24-2003, 11:08 AM
ummmm, widescreen.

ChrisBasken
04-24-2003, 11:21 AM
It must have a kick-butt vidcard, too. What kind of system?

Beamtracer
04-24-2003, 11:50 AM
The monitor is still a shadowmask CRT. You can see the curvature of the screen reflecting the ceiling lights (the bright spot top-left).

I'd prefer one of these...

Rei
04-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Nice.

I dont like Mac things, they dont look functional enough.

Im still going to get a projector though, he he 10 foot screen!

Rei

Matt
04-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm using a 19" Dell UltraSharp DVI TFT display here at work, perfectly sharp picture, no dead pixels, and large enough for what I need, very impressed with it.

:)

WilliamVaughan
05-24-2004, 09:11 PM
This monitor isn't a CRT and the curvature is from my camera...and teh light is teh flash from my camera....killer monitor is all I know!

Originally posted by Beamtracer
The monitor is still a shadowmask CRT. You can see the curvature of the screen reflecting the ceiling lights (the bright spot top-left).

dhath45
05-24-2004, 09:58 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=36083&Sku=I74-1544&CatId=1410

tokyo drifter
05-25-2004, 02:15 AM
Wow, they've really come down in price. That Cnet article (dated 2001) had the monitor going for $22,000 and now you can get one for $4,000. Very nice. I also like the new Sony and Samsung 22" monitors, they have a lower res then that IBM one but they are about half the price.

Beamtracer, that's a nice monitor but they still have the G4 plasticy look, wouldn't that clash with your G5? How can you work with such a design faux pas?;)

Danner
05-25-2004, 03:12 AM
Ahh those large 23-inch flat pannel Apple monitors are nice.. they look really pretty sitting on my desk altho neither of them work anymore (they both died withing 2 months of warranty expiring) So I'm back to my trusty old 17 inch NEC multisync I've used for 7 years now..

danilo
05-25-2004, 05:09 AM
Danner,
huh,you scared me now(I just got mine 23").Was that extended Warranty,or 90 days?
danilo

js33
05-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

The IBM monitor resolution is 3840 x 2400

The Apple Cinema display 23 inch is only, from the Apple web site, "an astonishing 1920 by 1200 pixel resolution".

Don't you love the hype. Hehehe

It would take 2 23" Apple monitors to equal the resolution of 1 IBM monitor and thats only horizontally and still only half vertically. Of course the IBM is twice the price but is actually 4 times the resolution of the Apple.

Cheers,
JS

js33
05-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Danner
Ahh those large 23-inch flat pannel Apple monitors are nice.. they look really pretty sitting on my desk altho neither of them work anymore (they both died withing 2 months of warranty expiring) So I'm back to my trusty old 17 inch NEC multisync I've used for 7 years now..

So you paid $4000 for Apple desk ornaments. How much would it cost to have them repaired?

Cheers,
JS

theo
05-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Proton's really "chained to his desk" travelling to NY playing with monitor candy- I wish I could get my chain to stretch that far....

Capt Lightwave
05-25-2004, 12:14 PM
I'd still love to have THIS baby on my desk:
http://www.go-l.com/monitors/grand_canyon/features/index.htm

Imagine having:
76", 81"and 92" Screen Sizes.
Resolutions from 5120 x 1024 pixels to 25X VGA
at 6400 x 1200 pixels.
All-aluminum custom-built construction.

Drooooool.

harlan
05-25-2004, 04:46 PM
God people are stupid...sometimes I wonder why I even bother reading this stuff.

A simple thread about a nice monitor has dwindled down into another platform war by the idiots. Thanks for wasting more of our time - idiots - you know who you are!! ;)

Nice monitor Proton - get IBM to send all us wavers one (save for the idiots that is) and we'll rep it! ;)

js33
05-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Gee Harlan if you can't take the honest comparison between monitors I guess you are too cranky. :D

Cheers,
JS

jamesl
05-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, Harlan is no idiot, but this hadn't quite eroded into a platform war (yet). He's just cranky... you know how those mac users are... (sorry Harlan!). ;)

j

js33
05-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Hey James,

What's up with your website? That is some whacky flash on there. Hehehe. Ok so where's your real website?

Cheers,
JS

danilo
05-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Harlan didn't name anybody,,,,,

Idiots named themselves.......he,he
I like that.
danilo

js33
05-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey Danilo,

Harlan said "js33 = idiot" and he took it off.

Actually I think he owes me an apology but since he took it off I guess that will do.

I don't consider pointing out differences between monitors to have anything to do with being an idiot.
Also I did nothing to promote a platform war. I all did was point out the differences in resolution between two monitors.

Get a hold of yourselves guys. Jeez.

Cheers,
JS

jamesl
05-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by js33
Hey James,

What's up with your website? That is some whacky flash on there. Hehehe. Ok so where's your real website?

Cheers,
JS

That's a placeholder for a site I'm going to be putting up. But foofybunny is staying...

j

harlan
05-26-2004, 09:51 PM
well...I'm actually a bit surprised that folks got bent out of shape as the comments were clearly in jest - as evidenced by the huge f#ckin Winky Smiley face located next to it.

it was just funny to immediately jump in and claim platform war - I don't know. My sense of humor doesn't always come across very clearly over the net - I'm the one guy that keeps Frankenstein continually wasting a minute of our time.

The "js33=idiot" was simply to annoy you - which it did, and I removed it afterwords. ;) <--- Note the winky smiley.

Not that I give a rolling rats arse, but your comparison of the two monitors is a little assanine however. How long have the Cinema displays been out? A few years. So let's all compare old technology to something brand new.

Better yet...let's just compare the image quality of The Honeymooners TV Series to The Lord of the Rings films - same basic idea of comparison - you can't (well...idiots can). Not only that, but for the price difference, the IBM damn well better have a better picture.

Jamie's right too though - I am a little cranky, but how could I not be? I live in a country where families gather around their TV's to watch shiite like American Idol & The Swan while quality programming like Futurama gets canned.

jamesl
05-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by harlan
Jamie's right too though - I am a little cranky, but how could I not be? I live in a country where families gather around their TV's to watch shiite like American Idol & The Swan while quality programming like Futurama gets canned.

Alright, you've gone too far this time, Harlan. The Swan changed my life. :eek:

j

harlan
05-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I noticed, but I didn't want to say anything about your new boobies in public...oh...whoops.....

:cool:

Imageshoppe
05-26-2004, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tokyo drifter
[B]Wow, they've really come down in price. That Cnet article (dated 2001) had the monitor going for $22,000 and now you can get one for $4,000. Very nice. I also like the new Sony and Samsung 22" monitors, they have a lower res then that IBM one but they are about half the price.

It's important to note that the 23" Sony PremierPro has the EXACT display panel as the 23" Apple Cinema Display... plus both VGA and DVI outputs, and front panel controls for contrast, etc. It also wall mounts a bit better than the Cinema Display.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/-/-/-/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs&ProductSKU=SDMP232W%2fB

Both the Cinema Display and the Sony are the perfect HD displays for HD NLE applications.

Jim Arthurs

harlan
05-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Yeah I use the Cinema HD panels for camera monitoring on my varicams. works great.

jamesl
05-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Eh... nobody can beat my dual Dell 20" 1600x1200 LCDs *plus* Wacom Cintiq LCD tablet running one glorious desktop. Once I get a bigger place, I'm gettin' 2 more Dells... woopee!

cheers,

j

js33
05-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by harlan
Not that I give a rolling rats arse, but your comparison of the two monitors is a little assanine however. How long have the Cinema displays been out? A few years. So let's all compare old technology to something brand new.

Better yet...let's just compare the image quality of The Honeymooners TV Series to The Lord of the Rings films - same basic idea of comparison - you can't (well...idiots can). Not only that, but for the price difference, the IBM damn well better have a better picture.

Actually that IBM monitor with 3840 x 2400 res has been out for a couple of years now. But as has been said it was really expensive at first. Something like $22k but has now come down to a reasonable $4k. I would hate to have been one if the early adopters. :(

The only problem with the Cinema display is you should have the option of going higher than 1920x1200 on a 23" screen but they are nice for what they are I suppose.

Well I agree with the crap on TV but of course you have the option if watching something better than the masses do.

Cheers,
JS

benhaines
05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Hehe,

we (HS&T, IBM UK Hursley Labs, UK) were playing with similar screens back in '99. At the time they were made of four seperate screens though. Good to see they have finally made it on to the market... I'll have three please :) 1 for viewing in bedroom and 2 for 3d!

Regards, Ben