PDA

View Full Version : This is driving me nuts! Stupid filebrowsing bug!

Ge4-ce
05-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Ok, I don't know if this is caused by the OS or by LW. I think it's the OS, but I wanted to check if someone has a solution for this.

When you have set your content directory, and open a scene, an object, a motion,... Why the heck does the filebrowser allways jumps back 2 or 3 levels??? I always again have to click in the scenes folder, then in the subscene folder wich I keep for organisation. Also when importing objects,... etc. etc.

I know for sure that this used to be different! Once you set your content directory, and opened up a scene, you jumped right into the scenes folder.

are there other people who have this problem?

Captain Obvious
05-04-2005, 06:40 AM
If I hit 'open', I start in the 'Scenes' folder. If I hit '+', I start in the Objects folder. If I load an image, I start up in the Images folder. What OS are you running?

Ge4-ce
05-04-2005, 07:38 AM

Yes, that should be the case. Well, but Now, I tried something different!! I used the VBS filebrowser. That browser DID show the right directory. And now I swithched back to the OS filebrowser and it now works perfectly!!

Looks like the OS browser could not stand the competition (it was jealous ;) )

however, is it normal that if you have subdirectorys in your scene folder, that each time you open a scene, you still have to open the subdirectorys? I mean, shouldn't LW remember the last place where you have bin? that should save me about 300 clicks a day I guess.

Photoshop is even worse!! It always starts at the Macintosh HD! I always have to click my way trough 10 folders! But there is no structure in this behaviour. Sometimes, it DOES jump to the last folder, and sometimes it doesnt..

Matt
05-04-2005, 07:49 AM
I've had similar misgivings in Windows too, Content is set to a specific directory which has the objects, images and scenes sub-folders.

Yet occasionally it will go elsewhere! Very annoying! Some artificial AI would be handy here, or the ability to tell LightWave how you've organised your Content directory so it can 'second-guess' where to look.

Ge4-ce
05-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Yeah, let's call this "the annoying thing" Oh wait! This name was allready taken :rolleyes: ;)

BeeVee
05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
It is normal that you will have to navigate to a sub-folder of Scenes - that is what the content directory is set to. If you wanted to avoid the problem, you could make a load of different content directories...

B

Ge4-ce
05-04-2005, 08:33 AM
It is normal that you will have to navigate to a sub-folder of Scenes

B

Oh, yes, I can live with that! That's not a real issue. My problem that even the content directory was not found, has now been resolved. (miracle-wise :) )

Ge4-ce
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM
While we're at it anyway...

is it normal that you have to specify the place where you want to save the images each time you make a new render (save RGB via the renderoptions panel"

When I open a scene, LW tends to save the renders in the "images" folder. But I don't want to. And normally, it used to save those renders only in the location I programmed it to via the saveRGB panel. It used to save this location with the scenefile. But when I reopen a scene, it still saves the images, back to the "images" directory. Or at least, when I click the browse button to check where LW would put the renders, I end up in the "images" folder. Is this also normal?

eblu
05-04-2005, 10:32 AM
instead of saying "normal" I'd like to use a different term. "appropriate". I've found that Lightwave does things its own way. in some cases, breaking the visual UI metaphor of the OS (whichever OS) can be beneficial, but more often than not, Lightwave does things that go against the grain, to no positive effect. Every OS out there, has been researched, planned, and developed carefully to present the user with the most advantageous, helpful, consistent, and comfortable interface.

Lightwave breaks serious interface conventions throughout the entire app, and in many cases it is Inappropriate.

example: normally when saving changes to a file, Lightwave first wipes out the original file, and then writes new contents to that file. This is "normal" but not appropriate. Why? because if Lightwave crashes after it begins saving, then you've lost all of your data! and surprise! there is a bug that can cause such a crash. Appropriate behavior, would be for Lightwave to save a temp file, check the temp file, remove the old file and move the temp file to the location of the old file and change its name to that of the old file. This is how almost every OS INsists you do things. Its boiler plate, its standard, its a more global "normal" and I don't see any reason why I should lose my data.

JML
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I've had similar misgivings in Windows too, Content is set to a specific directory which has the objects, images and scenes sub-folders....

if you have problems with those kind of things, check this thread..
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=35320

you may already know this trick .. but it's really useful..
you basically set your own shortcuts in the file dialog.
really timesaving when working with lots of different folders..