PDA

View Full Version : Setting default camera

stib
05-04-2005, 03:23 AM
I remember reading it somewhere, but I can't find where..

How can I edit my Preferences file so that when I start up layout the camera resolution is set to D1 PAL instead of SVGA?

And while I'm in your face, is there a place for putting scripts so they get executed at atartup. I seem to remember that being possible too. I'd love to be able to do what I alwaysdo upon starting a new scene: set the camera resolution, target the camera to a null, and set my field dominance and AA settings.

SVGA?? Who uses SVGA as a resolution? Maybe it's a gamerr thing I dunno.

Surrealist.
05-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi, you sound like a programer and a mac guy, I am neither but I was working on this last night as there were some, programmer savy tips along this line in the book I own, LW 81001 tips and tricks.

However, two of the ideas didn't work for me(which is why I am not a programer) so I won't bother passing them on, though they both incorporated the idea of creating a scene file with your settings and having it automatically load.

One simple and workable solution is to create that scene w/ your settings and have a shortcut on your desk top and simply open the file and it will launch LW. That one of course worked. How could it not. On the mac of course it's a little different but you get the idea.

The other tips had to do with the properties pannel of the LW shortcut icon on your (PC) desk top were you put a line in the target field that tells lightwave to open a scene. And finally editing the LW8 config file and adding a startup command with a reference to that scene. Along with this one was the idea to enter the name of a generic L script in place of the scene file, so it will lauch at startup.

Maybe this will jog your memory.

Different on the mac of course. According to the book I don't think you can do that last one on the mac.

On the PC side there are things you can edit in the coinfig file - mac is the prefs file -such as default scene length. I don't know about camera default stettings though, but you can check it out in a text editor. (Also you can edit your camera res presets here if you like, add more, get rid of that SVGA even)

Sorry I don't have more, maybe someone else has a better workable tip.

BTW if you want the syntax as the book has it, I'll give it to you or maybe someone who actaually got it to work can help.

Lamont
05-04-2005, 04:08 PM
I know you can add new camera settings in the pull down. I need to open the prefs when I get home and have a looksie. There are a ton of things you can do in there.

stib
05-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I tried editing the prefs to put PAL D1 at the top of the list of resolutions, but it didn't work. There doesn't seem to be any default camera setting in the file.

The idea of a template scene seems like a good one. I'll give it a burl.

Lamont
05-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Found it.

Look in your LW8.cfg file and change the following lines:

FrameSize 720 576
PixelAspect 1.0667

And that's it. When you open the camera panel, it will say "Pal D1" from now on as default.

stib
06-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I've also found how you can easily set up a default scene that gets loaded into lightwave as it opens. Just add the path to the scene file in the lightwave cmdline file, after the other stuff. If it has spaces in the names you have to quote it.
an eg LW cmndLine file:

-2 -c"MacHD:Applications:LightWave [8]:config" -d"MacHD:Applications:LightWave [8]:Content" "MacHD:Applications:LightWave [8]:Content:Scenes:default scene"

I found this out by accident when I copied a LWSN cmdLine file over my lightwave cmdline file, and it kept trying to open the job and ack files.

So now I've set up a scene that has all my ususal default in it: camera targetted to a nul , autofocus null (both with nice labels, like I can't normally be bothered doing), field rendering, motion blur, a sane amount of raytracing steps, three point light rig etc. I've also locked that file in the Finder so I can't accidentally save over it.

toby
06-16-2005, 09:03 PM
That's sweet!

I was just thinking about trying to find how to do start-up commands, and run a script to do that stuff, but this is better! This is what they do at Digital Domain but I didn't know how it was done. I'm setting it up right now. Thanks!