PDA

View Full Version : good camera matching for images ?

Pavlov
05-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Hi all,
as above.. i need to match camera position of a photo for compositing.
Worley has something in Taft, but i heard it's quite limited.. i'd like to have some advices on professional tools for camera matching.
I mainly need to match cameras in photos, not movies, so Realviz would be a waste of money for me.

TIA
Paolo Zambrini

bjornkn
05-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Realviz isn't a program, but a company.
They happen to have several programs, among them MatchMover for matching cameras to movie, and another called ImageModeler, which is for stills.
You will need more than one photo though.
Photomodeler is similar in many ways to Imagemodeler, and it does allow you to use one photo under certain circumstances.
It's quite pricey too, but I believe now it's cheaper than IM.

I have never use the Taft plugin though.
How is it supposed to work? With one photo only?

Pavlov
05-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Realviz isn't a program, but a company.
They happen to have several programs, among them MatchMover for matching cameras to movie, and another called ImageModeler, which is for stills.
You will need more than one photo though.
Photomodeler is similar in many ways to Imagemodeler, and it does allow you to use one photo under certain circumstances.
It's quite pricey too, but I believe now it's cheaper than IM.

I have never use the Taft plugin though.
How is it supposed to work? With one photo only?

Yes i explained badly, i referred to Matchmover. Image modeler is useless for me.
Taft seems to work with a photo only, but several people reported it's very unprecise. I need a reliable tool to get camera info from a single photo.
I discovered a freebie (FI's camera match) it seems good but still not what i need.

Paolo

bjornkn
05-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't think you would get very good precision from a single photo.
If you use a singlephoto in Photomodeler I think you need to use several "known" constraints, like 2 lines being perpendicular etc, and you need a reference distance between two points.
If you can take the photos yourself it shouldn't be a problem needing to have several photos, and then you'd be able to get very precise camera positions using either ImageModeler or Photomodeler, which are the two programs I'm using for such jobs.
Attached is an image of a model where I used IM to grab several camera positions from both aerial and ground photos. It snapped right in place in all photos. It took very little time, and then I had several cameras ready for rendering. :)

Pavlov
05-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi, i think i solved it ;)

look here:

http://f23.aaa.livedoor.jp/~fisjunk/plugin/plugin.php?platform=1&code=3&type=Layout&version=4

Download FIsCmatch... AMAZING !
It does a one-step camera matching from one photo, and its **** precise.
Just look at the instructions (you have to click on Layout/genericbinary on the left, and translate it).
You can zoom and pan in the window, and with 6 or more points you get an instant camera matching. 2 of these points should not be on the same plane of all other, so it can derivate correctly camera infos.
I think lot of people will benefit from this... i'm daily on flay, cannot understand how i missed it.
Awesome.

Paolo Zambrini

bjornkn
05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the tip :)
I just downloaded it, and also translated the text on Infoseek. The "manual" didn't make much sense though, but maybe it helps if I try it first (which won't be today..)?

mduerr
01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,

just came over this thread, because I need that plugin. I was able to download it from an Italian Lightwave page, but couldn't find any description on how to use it. Anyone has translated it, or could send me a link where I could find one (in English).

Thanks

Martin