PDA

View Full Version : Where's 8.3?

Lottmedia
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
not to start anything here, but I haven't seen anything about 8.3 in a week or so and the last official mention I saw was "a few days"
No Speculation. I just wanna hear from NewTek if there is any more release info?

J-Rod

Wade
05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
:D :confused: :( Hopefully your query will pop it out -O- the oven. :eek:

-NG-
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
It's released when it's released. :D

Ztreem
05-02-2005, 01:00 PM
It's released when it's released. :D

Totaly true! :D

Lottmedia
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
I thought it was obvious from the post, I'm asking NewTek, not people who don't have any idea. I can guess on my own. I was wondering what NewTek had to say about it.

J-Rod

-NG-
05-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Relax it whasn't offensive. :)

robewil
05-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Ask away, but keep in mind that Newtek will say something when they have something to say. I doubt they will post anything here concerning further details about 8.3.

Jockomo
05-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Didn't you hear? Newtek moved it's offices to planet Texas.

A day there = approximately 72 of our hours.

A week = 12-15 days

Soon means 6 months

and Christmas is in May

hrgiger
05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I thought it was obvious from the post, I'm asking NewTek, not people who don't have any idea.
J-Rod

I could tell you but it's a secret.

And I resent that you think I have no ideas.

Wade
05-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I thought it was obvious from the post, I'm asking NewTek, not people who don't have any idea. I can guess on my own. I was wondering what NewTek had to say about it.

J-Rod

All in good fun - but we to would like to know and well maybe it is our (my) way of weighing in with you, and saying ya I would like to know as well in a nice way. :)

Peace, Love, Joy... :)

Wade

pauland
05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I think it would be better if they hadn't mentioned 8.3 at all until it was ready to download. The "soon" and "few days" thing has always come back to bite them.

Paul

robewil
05-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Then the complaints turn the other way around. Newtek doesn't keep its customer base up to date on updates, Newtek doesn't provide a roadmap, etc.

Chuck
05-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Still putting the polishing touches to the update; we hope to have it out soon, but your patience will be appreciated as we continue our final testing!

kcole
05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Still putting the polishing touches to the update; we hope to have it out soon
Oh noes! He used the 'S' word!

Soon means 6 months

T-Light
05-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Jockomo: Yesterday 09:33 PM: "Soon means 6 months"

Chuck: Today 12:06 AM: "we hope to have it out soon"

kcole: Today 12:36 AM: "Oh noes! He used the 'S' word!"

Now that's funny :D

parm
05-02-2005, 11:06 PM
That puts an end to the speculation then

trick
05-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Here we go again:

I can only hope for a solid release: I'm already waiting years for it (still on 7.5) and would be prepared to wait some more.

Just installed the latest MAX7.5 (so finally I had both MAX and LW on 7.5 :D ): It didn't take a day before I had to deinstall it...better bug next time :D

Chuck
05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Jockomo: Yesterday 09:33 PM: "Soon means 6 months"

Chuck: Today 12:06 AM: "we hope to have it out soon"

kcole: Today 12:36 AM: "Oh noes! He used the 'S' word!"

Now that's funny :D

LOL! Yes, it is! :)

Sorry didn't mean to alarm everyone, please rest assured I'm not using Jockomo's definition of "soon". Whose definition exactly, is classified information, however. ;)

Wade
05-03-2005, 09:54 AM

Sorry didn't mean to alarm everyone, please rest assured I'm not using Jockomo's definition of "soon". Whose definition exactly, is classified information, however. ;)

So Chuck confidently toys with us, Then I would think he knows what his hand is, and just when to play it. Seems he may have a card up his sleeve yet.

You got to know when to hold them know when to fold them know when to lock it down and send it on its way.

Nemoid
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
hahahha next time Nt will make an announcement :

Dear Lw users, one week ago, we just released 8.4 ! tons of features ! (
a long list follwing )

unfortunately u didn't pay enough attention,and lost the news !!

so now time for free update has expired. :D

cheers.

moral : don't be impatient : 8.3 will be there soon for real :)

Para
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh noes! He used the 'S' word!

"Oh noes", you say? Here's onos for you:
http://www.hot.ee/naturalselection/images/aliens/onos.jpg

(if you get this joke, you seriously need a life...if life doesn't sound interesting, come to Voogru hive 2 for fun :))

janoverust
05-03-2005, 01:55 PM
(if you get this joke, you seriously need a life...if life doesn't sound interesting, come to Voogru hive 2 for fun )

Puh....! I have a life...

Jockomo
05-03-2005, 02:29 PM

Hook... Line.... and Sinker. :rolleyes:

No worries Chuck, I think most of us have learned to take these announcements in stride. (Kurtis is an excitable boy, poor thing just probably jumped the gun on that announcement) I think it's also safe to say that most of us realise that you want to get these updates out to us quickly as much as we want to see them.

That being said, stability trumps an early release in my book so take your time..
I imagine you guys should be done sometime by... say... Christmas right? ;)

ufo3d
05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
What I concern is not Lw8.3, but what NT will release in Siggraph ;)
Since Proton said: I'm excited about what the team has been doing and can't wait for Siggraph 2005
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=231048

Para
05-04-2005, 04:48 AM
What I concern is not Lw8.3, but what NT will release in Siggraph ;)
Since Proton said: I'm excited about what the team has been doing and can't wait for Siggraph 2005
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=231048

LW vX? Start the hype machine! :cool:

hrgiger
05-04-2005, 05:06 AM
LW vX? Start the hype machine! :cool:

I'm guessing 8.5. If anything.

mattclary
05-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Or Video Toaster 4.5 (or wherever that's at...) :(

pauland
05-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Hey, Modo Toaster 1.0 would be even better - LOL

Verlon
05-04-2005, 06:33 AM
to risk a guess...

I think perhaps the release of 8.3 is to coincide with the release of LW 64 bit.

LW64 bit cant come until safenet releases sentinel drivers that will work with WinXP for 64 bit systems.

Safenet inc can't release a sentinel driver that works with Win XP for 64 bit systems until they learn that it is different than Itanium version (if you believe they know the difference, try sending a VERY SPECIFICALLY worded email or talking to them on the phone. Try expressly mentioning the differences. Then have aspirin on hand for their response. Finally, FINALLY after going so far up the safenet ladder I thought I was going to have to play golf with the CEO, I got a response that amounts to "We have a beta driver that we won't let you test, and we do not know when it will be released." It took about 40 minutes to get the first part, and several more hours to get the release information--no joke.).

UnCommonGrafx
05-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Chuck's got humor in his posts...

Hmmm... conspiratal minds become curious.

Personally, I hope they step back a bit, look at the gauntlet thrown down by Maxon and wipe their arses up with an 8.4 release of LW and Inspire Gen 2. Elmar said some interesting things over at CGTalk that really work for me.

I hope they shove all that experimental stuff they've got working into an 8.4 and then, ring a bunch of bells at SIGGRAPH. None of'em are talking, though. grrrr

{They always said, hope for things out of your control. This is one of'em. ;)}

Oh, and let ME announce Inspire over at CGTalk in the Cinema forums. :D With a 'deal' for Cinema 4D owners: we'll charge'em twice as much as everyone else but still give them the full package of Inspire; it'll still be a bargain. :cool:

hrgiger
05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Elmar said some interesting things over at CGTalk that really work for me.

Oh, do tell...

UnCommonGrafx
05-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Go look.
Something about internal fixin's for the future; stuff is in the code but not activated, yet.
I won't repeat it here as someone would run amok with it as gospel. :eek:

Jirapong
05-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Why you guys need the update, want more bugs than waht we have now?

NT gave you tha update and you guys complained it's buggy and did not fix bugs you had before. Nt can put 8.3 today and 8.4 tomorrow and you guy just will update it and complain that it's buggy and need newer update.

By the way, if the software has no bug, it means that software has nothing innovative.

UnCommonGrafx
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Chuckle,
That blanket's spread too far, my friend.

I want bugs in the innovative sections, not the old. I want documentation on SOOOO many of the hidden gems in the software. (Look at the "Addpoints..." thread)

I want LW and VTEdit to behave as one. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Karmacop
05-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh, do tell...

He bsically said they had to rewrite a lot of code to get subpatch interpolation working well, and in doing so made it possible to implement more cool things in the future without more massive rewrites.

mattclary
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Looks like someone is violating their NDA. You realize newtek can probably track your IP address right? :rolleyes:

Librarian
05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Looks like someone is violating their NDA. You realize newtek can probably track your IP address right? :rolleyes:
The list was official available for everyone a few days ago, so itīs ok.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw83/index.html
Itīs down now or has been removed.

electropulse
05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
The list was official available for everyone a few days ago, so itīs ok.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw83/index.html
Itīs down now or has been removed.

404, anyone have a new link?

hrgiger
05-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I also posted it over at Spinquad.

Signal to Noise
05-05-2005, 01:03 PM
The list was "available" a few days ago but it was unintentional. Thus the 404 error because NT have rectified the problem. So if you did have some form of NDA with NewTek then watch out! ;)

Cman
05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
All I know is my CC is warmed up for buying LW 9 at Siggraph!! ^_^

Chuck
05-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes, looks like it's just a repost of an obsolete (mostly meaning "incomplete" because we've since done additional fixes; I'm not aware that we've had to drop any of these fixes from the list, but it's possible) list for a pilot version of the 8.3 download page. This has been posted a couple of other places, and while we hadn't intended to release the info until 8.3 was released, it seems the poster is a bit paranoid about sharing it - creating a new account for the post. :rolleyes:

Brian Arndt
05-05-2005, 02:08 PM
It was my fault and i accidently had a page i was working on up live for a few hours and hence all the people posting about it. This information is not live yet so just stay tuned. when it is live youll see it on newtek.com on the front page and so forth.

Thanks!

-NG-
05-05-2005, 03:02 PM
It was my fault and i accidently had a page i was working on up live for a few hours and hence all the people posting about it. This information is not live yet so just stay tuned. when it is live youll see it on newtek.com on the front page and so forth.

Thanks!

Uhhh a newtek webmaster. :) Another new newtek staff member i see on the forums, is it me or is newek one of the few companies who shows themself on there own forums?(wich is a good thing offcourse:))

UnCommonGrafx
05-05-2005, 03:09 PM
ya know, I wanted to say,

Even when making mistakes, youse guys is cool.
But I thought it too much.

Now, I've said it. :p Now, back to work.

Para
05-06-2005, 02:01 AM
what the ****?

You do understand that moderators can access the IP logs of the forum and immediatly see who you really are? :)

Karmacop
05-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Dam, it sounds like I missed some cool info! :(

EDIT: must remember not to write dam with the n because it looks like I said a really bad word :p

hrgiger
05-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Hey Karma, as Chuck said though, it's an obsolete list.

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6059&page=1

Karmacop
05-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Oh is that all it was? I've already read that :p I was hoping for something more :D

Brian Arndt
05-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Uhhh a newtek webmaster. :) Another new newtek staff member i see on the forums, is it me or is newek one of the few companies who shows themself on there own forums?(wich is a good thing offcourse:))

Fairly new, yes.. and what good is a company who doesnt support their userbase? :) we can be fanboys of our own software too :D