PDA

View Full Version : Can LW pause or batch render? Can we have this feature?

schnudd
05-01-2005, 10:31 PM
The title kind of says it all. I am a former Strata CX user, now moved up to the "bigs" (leagues that is). One feature that I really liked with Strata was that I could pause a render and then save it at its current point, and then add this and other paused renders to a queue (?spelling, sorry) that I could render at a later time. Now, don't tell me about render farms, and all that, I only have the one machine and would like to render off a bunch of stuff when I leave town for the weekend. Can LW do this, and if not, can we get it as a new feature? I am sure there are a lot of hobbiests like me who would appreciate this feature.

Conrad Hoy

AdamAvenali
05-02-2005, 12:11 AM
i also render myself for all my projects and have found that the best way to do things is to render as RGB.. this way you are rendering a bunch of still images (jpegs, psds, or whatever), so if something were to happen mid-render then you can go back in and start from the last frame that was rendered and pick it up from there.. then just go into after effects and import the images as an image sequence and there ya go!

hope i explained that well enough :eek:

UnCommonGrafx
05-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately, you seemed to have inherited the same initial thought most LWers have, I've noticed. That is to say, you are under the misconception that one can't have a render Garden, not a farm.

To that end, one can do exactly as you said using the same mechanisms that those with many more machines can use: lwsn. It takes a bit of time to set up, but it's mostly patience and following the literature.

Having said that, for singular machines, NewTek would do well to 'enhance' the tools they include now to make this type of process easier.

BeeVee
05-02-2005, 07:08 AM
There's a fantastic batch render control panel available for free from DStorm: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/other.htm

B