PDA

View Full Version : OSX losing connection to plugins

natcoll
04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
:confused: I have just recently changed the name of my Mac and now the plugins wont load automatically in lightwave. I have to manually load them each time I open Lightwave or Modeller.

I am using 10.2.4 and LW7.5. I am using the first generation G4 tower.

Is there a way in which I can redirect the plugins? I have tried the config thing and replacing the preferences. Don't work.

royL
04-24-2003, 02:44 PM
the llightwave and modeler cmdLine tells the apps where the preferences are.

If you've changed the name of the HD, then you have to open the cmdLine files in a text editor (notpad for pc/textedit for mac) and delete the content.

If you read the text inside the file, you'll find that contains a directory path to where the preferences are, delete all text inside both layout and modeller cmdLine and save them empty, don't worry, as soon as you launch the app, it will generate the correct path to the preferences:p

Julian Johnson
04-25-2003, 06:01 AM
royl - I'm not sure that that's right :-).

The Lightwave and Modeler cmdline files are only optional. By default, if there's nothing in the cmdline files (or if the -p reference is pointing to the default location for your preferences) Lightwave and Modeler look in Users:You:Library:Preferences for the Preference files (which include paths to plugins etc.).

If you change the name of your Hard Drive it just means that the Preference files that reside in Users:You:Library:Prefs now contain invalid paths. To fix that you can either run InitConfigsX, or go to Plugins:Edit Plugins and rescan your Plugins and LScript folders. Then quit Lightwave and/or Modeler.

No need to touch the cmdline files. If you do delete the -p entry in the cmdlines, Layout and Modeler will still look in Users:You:Library:Prefs folder and will still read the preference files that contain the wrong paths. The only way to regenerate those paths is to run InitCofigsX and/or rescan. Both methods are quicker than opening up the LightWave Extensions 3 Prefs and manually doing a find and replace for the root hard drive name - but you can also do it this way if you wish.

Julian

royL
04-28-2003, 03:29 PM
But you may also try booting with the cd and make a repair privileges with the disk utility.

natcoll
04-28-2003, 10:00 PM
hi all.
Thanks for your advice so far.
I tried deleting the preferences and allowing the software to create it's own, and running configX but the plugins are stil not there when the program starts up. We still have to manually scan for them through edit plugins.
Bit of a bother really.
The only thing I haven't tried so far is that last suggestion of resetting from the disk.
All else fails I'll try reloading the software.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Blubone
05-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Also having troubles.... But I am having the extra annoyance that when scanning the plugins directory or even selecting specific files it comes up with "0 plugins found in xx files". Not useful.

I am running 10.2.5 - could this be a problem with the plugins as well as OpenGL?

royL
05-01-2003, 08:05 PM
I made some tests and I reproduced your problem, I changed the HD name and the problem begun, no matter what Layout and modeller cannot find the plugs, then I opened the cmdline for each app, and edited the path.

The path begins with your HD name (in my case is CORE) then I've changed the name in the path with the new one, and... it worked, every thing was back to normal.

on your last issue, there's have been lots of reports of bugs between LW, ATI and 10.2.5, everything caused by the os update.

Until ATI release new drivers for 10.2.5, the only solution is downgrading the OS to 10.2.4.

But you shouldn't worry much for that, cuz LW 8 it's on its way, along with panther, the new os release

Cheers!:D

CoMetX
05-01-2003, 08:51 PM
I ran into the same problem. It does not have to be from your HD name. The only fix, was to duplicated the plugins, from each folder, into all the other ones. This way, no matter where the program looks for the plugins, it will be able to find it. This is how i fixed it on my computer. Hope it helps.

Blubone
05-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Nice one. That duplicate fix has sorted it for the minute....

Hopefully there'll be an 'official' fix sometime soon.

Thanks Comet.

Julian Johnson
05-02-2003, 03:58 AM
I really have been talking total tripe. My bad. Here's what should be happening:

It *is* important to change the cmdline if you're using cmdlines. If you run with the Hub on and don't physically have Lightwave and Modeler cmdline files then none of this is an issue.

If, however, you do have cmdline files and you change the name of your HD there are two things that go wrong: a) your cmdline reference after -p points to an invalid path [it has your old HD name in it] and b) your path references in your Lightwave Extensions 3 Prefs are all wrong. If you run InitConfigsX you get a new set of valid paths put into the Lightwave Extensions 3 Prefs file but without altering the Lightwave cmdline file Layout will still be looking for plugins from an invalid path. So, altering the cmdline as well is a must. I'd guess InitConfigsX needs to be updated to check the Lightwave and Modeler cmdlines if they exist and adjust the -p parameter.

Funnily enough, the Hub seems to detect when a hard drive name has changed and update its own cmdline.

I think it's only since 7.5 that the -p entry has been placed in the Layout and Modeler cmdlines automatically and I can't see any valid reason for doing so. It only happens after you've used the Hub to switch between applications - and only then to the cmdline of the application you're switching from. If you never do that and you have completely empty cmdline files, nothing gets written to them.

Before this feature was introduced, InitConfigsX didn't need to worry about it and would guarantee a clean set of prefs. Now, it's a two stage process (if you use cmdlines) when you change your HD name - InitConfigsX (or a Plugin and LScript scan) takes care of the plugin paths, changing the cmdline (if you have one) takes care of where Layout and Modeler actually look for the listing of those paths. It does seem to have become spookily complex although I'm sure there isn't any need to create duplicate plugin directories etc. if you do it right......but then my tripe quotient is high at the moment.

Julian

pixym
05-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Hello,

In the former forum, I have posted a solution that worked:

1- launch the modeler
2- load the plug-ins (if they are not loaded)
3- create any object (a box for exemple)
4- save this object
5- send this object to layout
6- close the layout
7- close the modeler
8- close the hub
9- re-launch the layout
You normally be happy to see that all your plug-ins have been also loaded, now you can work without the plug-ins problem.
;)