PDA

View Full Version : Fix the Content Manager Please!

Jockomo
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Will you guys PLEASE fix the **** content manager. I am so sick if getting object conversion failures.

BeeVee
04-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Scott,

What problem are you having exactly?

B

Jockomo
04-30-2005, 08:27 AM
The error is: Object Conversion Failure

I have had this problem ever since this plugin came out.

It has happened on totally different scenes and objects.

Sometimes this plugin works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess I could spend all day trying out different scenes to see if i can figure out exactly what causes the problem, but then again, imo that's newtek's job.

I asked them about this problem once, and they told me that maybe my objects were too big. Ya know if I was building million poly objects with useless polygons everywhere I could understand. But this object has <20k polygons.

I am just really getting frustrated because it seems like every time I work on a complex scene, something that should work does not. I can post here about the problem and I get no answers.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=14755

And how about the scene editor, it still crashes if you look at it wrong.

I'm just getting tired and frustrated with all of these little bugs.

UnCommonGrafx
04-30-2005, 08:59 AM
CRASH-O, baby!

Don't know what triggers it but it makes it frustrating enough not to use it. Darned fine concept; crazy when it works on 5 out of 100 scenes. :mad:

Jockomo
02-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Bumping this, because the **** thing still doesn't work. (3 years later)

gjjackson
02-08-2006, 09:08 AM
you may want to post a scene file and see if anyone else has the same problem.

Jockomo
02-08-2006, 09:11 AM
you may want to post a scene file and see if anyone else has the same problem.

It's a known issue. It's been a known issue for 3 years.

gjjackson
02-08-2006, 09:46 AM
You could always try Eki's Plugpak. I think it does something like what you're wanting.

Jockomo
02-08-2006, 09:48 AM
From what I can tell it occurs when the objects in your scene are loaded into the scene from a location other than what the content directory is set at. They are considered "external" and regardless of how you set the destination path, when exporting it will give the error: Object Conversion Failure.

Of course I can go through and find those objects, make copies of them and force lightwave to find them in the directory that the Content Directory is set to, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of this plugin?

The ONLY thing I can even find about Content Manager in the Lightwave8.pdf is:

Note: The generic Plug-in, Content Manager, discussed later in this section, can be used to collect a scene's supporting files and ensure correct compliance with your content directory.

Then the manual goes on to never mention Content Manager again.

colkai
02-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I'd also add, when you get "object conversion error", what usually happens is it actually fails to save the scene in the new area. Yet does save the objects, wierd!

Matt
02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Yep, we need a one action 'Package Scene' saver that pulls all content (and maybe plugins?) and saves it to a location of your choice (obviously re-linking all paths to the new location).