PDA

View Full Version : DVD Workshop vs Vegas+DVD

inquisitive
04-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Perhaps the answer to the question is just to obvious.

I currently have an older version of Vegas and the upgrade to Vegas6+DVD would be a little more (but not a lot) than the upgrade to DVD Workshop 2 from the VT bundled version.

Just looking at the DVD writing capabilities of Vegas6+DVD (ie. DVD Architect) is that program a lot more flexible and full featured than DVD Workshop 2?

In other words should I just upgrade to Vegas6+DVD? Granted Vegas6 also offers a lot of other functionality that resembles the VT4 in some aspects.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

:confused:

jimtruelove
04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I think either program would work well. It seems that for the past two revisions DVD Workshop had an edge on main menu layout and ease of use.
The main pro for DVD Arc is the new improvements in PSD support as well as full Dolby Certified AC3 compression for audio. DVD Workshop can compress AC3 but it is not a certified version. I have now started using Sony's DVD arc for all my authoring of disks. :rolleyes:
Niether of these programs compare to some of the upper priced Authoring packages like Composer etc. But if you are not on Apple then either package gives good bang for the buck.
Good Luck ;)

Dark Knight
05-12-2005, 04:47 PM
The only thing I would watch out for is that DVD Architect (packaged with Vegas) has a habit of being incompatible with some DVD burners. A glance at Sony's website or a call to their tech support could be a good idea, saving you some possible headaches up the road.

Rob
ADK Video Editing

inquisitive
05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks you all,

So far i have not made a decision. The first project i render to avi looked like pretty bad, which turned out to be even worse after DVDWS encoded it.

The second one was rendered as DV2 from within VT4 but the encoding done by DVDWS didnt do justice, so i figured i would try using tempenc next, and that is where i am right now.
Would be nice to see a DVD that looks the same way as when i output miniDV directly into the TV.

edmellnik
05-18-2005, 07:36 PM
I have had great luck with Vegas and DVD Architect.
I load my Toaster project into TMPGE and render out a high quality MPEG 2 file
and send it over to the DVD Archect machine. SOmetimes I render the video then separately render the audio so that I can load the audio into Vegas and render a AC3 5.1 surround audio file.
I find DVD Architect very easy to use but both Architech and Workshop could have more intuitive interfaces and better manuals. I hve never liked Workshop but I know some really like it.
What you have to watch out for is making sure that DVD Arch does not re-render.
which means it takes the mpeg you did in TMPGE and rerenders it.
IF the audio and video files are the same length and the mpge file is good it wont.

We may be using Vegas 6 a lot more now that we are shooting HDV. Since Newtek has not deemed it necessary to pay attention to the HDV audience.( SOny sold 37,000 of these cameras so far this year).
ed

billmi
05-20-2005, 08:32 AM
The second one was rendered as DV2 from within VT4 but the encoding done by DVDWS didnt do justice, so i figured i would try using tempenc next, and that is where i am right now.
Would be nice to see a DVD that looks the same way as when i output miniDV directly into the TV.

Just curious.... Did you use the default settings in DVDWS? I'm tweaking with different settings to see the effect. I know with Ulead's Disk Creator there is a night and day difference in the encoding (largely motion artifacts) between the "high quality" and setting a custom quality at bitrate of 800, and 100% encoding quality (i.e. more encoding time needed to process.) Seems pretty illogical that Ulead doesn't put their best foot forward by making their "high quality" option the highest quality their software can produce, but I'm betting their typical customer is Joe Sixpack burning shots of his neice's baptism, who will think that the product sucks if it takes too long to do the encoding.

As I type, I'm burning the same project encoded by TMPEGENC and DVDWS as separate chapters on the same DVD to see how they compare.

billmi
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
To follow up on my own reply....

DVDWS's codec didn't have problems with blocky artifacting when adjusted to the highest quality levels (though it did at it's "high quality" defailt setting.) However, subtle tones were reproduced noticably better in TMPEGENC.