PDA

View Full Version : LScript vs Lightwave SDK

zecryan
04-29-2005, 07:27 AM
I have another post about the SDK but i have another question. What benefits do i get out of programming with C++ verse using just compiled LScripts? I mean there is much much more info on LScript than the SDK so I want to know what i will missout on on doing LScript than C++. Are there some things i can't do in LScript and can in SDK that with help my plugin greatly? I want to make sure that if i put alot of time trying to learn and find info on the SDK it will be worth it.

art
04-29-2005, 08:26 AM
I do not have much experience, but I can tell you that one thing that forced me to move to C++ was the ability to create interactive tools in modeler which is not possible in LScript. The are some semi-interactive workarounds, but its not the same thing. LScript is great for many things as it is easier to learn and understand. If you write a plugin where performance is not the top priority it is more than sufficient. I noticed that LScript's performance suffers if you try to use more complex data structures and what not, some say it has something to do with LScript's memory management.

Karmacop
04-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Lscript
- easy to code
- fast to code
- cross platform
- can't write pixel filters
- can't write volumetrics
- can't make interactive tools
- can be much slower when run

SDK
- can do everything lscript can do
- harder to write
- must be recompiled (or recoded) for other platforms
- can be very fast
- can have interactive tools
- can do volumetrics and pixel filters

I think that's about it.

Titus
04-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Lscript is an interpreted language, some taks can be really slow to acomplish using it.

C language is very complex, you have to manage memory and things like that, but this is the reason it's more powerful and fast than Lscript.

My advice is to start with Lscript first.

TheDAve
05-01-2005, 04:27 AM
IMHO It really depends on what your level of programming knowledge is.

My day job is as a coder, lightwave is my hobby, so I actually find LScript harder to use than the SDK. I've tried writing LScripts, but generally get so fustrated I end up writing a plugin instead.

If you are a reasonably experienced C/C++ coder I would say go with the SDK although there is a bit of a learning curve you need to climb to get your first plugin working.

DAve