PDA

View Full Version : OS X.4 - Today Is The Day

Nigel Baker
04-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Hello all,

If anyone has installed the new Operating system.
Would you lets us know how it is working - any problems and the sort.

Thanks.

Darth Mole
04-29-2005, 06:28 AM
It's up and running and pretty much nothing to report. One of my 3D games doesn't work properly (OpenGL glitch) but I've had no problems with LW.

I did a few test renderings and some were a tiny bit faster, some were a tiny bit slower. Also, OpenGL seems a little bit quicker in Layout playback - but nothing to party over.

To be frank, one of the best things is that when you need to load an image, texture or object, and you can't quite remember where it is, there's a search tab right there on the Open/Save dialogue.

Spotlight is useful, the Widgets are gimmicky, doubt if I'll use Automator, like the built-in Dictionary function, love the Apple RSS feed screensaver!

intofx
04-29-2005, 10:51 AM
... but I've had no problems with LW... - but nothing to party over.

Are you kidding. That's definately something to party over. :D

Matt

Captain Obvious
04-29-2005, 11:41 AM
No problems with LW in Tiger here.

Johnny
04-29-2005, 01:57 PM
those of you who are now running Tiger on a G5 with LW 7.5d or greater..did you nuke and pave, upgrade, or archive and install?

J

Captain Obvious
04-29-2005, 03:02 PM
When upgrading the OS, Archive & Install is always the recomended way, IMO.

Darth Mole
04-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I have ultimate faith - I just did a straight update. Always worked for me before :)

Darth Mole
04-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Uh-oh. Spoke too soon. I'm getting weird pixelly trails in Modeller when I move the perspective view around. I also noticed this in Grapher, the built-in 3D graphing calculator.

I'm using an ATI X800XT - anyone else notice anything similar?

harlan
04-29-2005, 05:09 PM
No such problem here Darth, but there's a known issue with the x800 cards causing "kernel panics" and some other issues. ATI is aware of it, and admitted to ****in up a bios update on the card, so they released a new driver with a "bios downgrader" that will hopefully fix your problem (I know it fixed all of mine).

Oh, they're also working on a newer bios rev. that will obviously fix the problem and add more capability, but for the time being the downgrader seems to work well.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/macosx-ati-displays-4-5-1.dm"g"

Copy, Paste, and remove the quotes around the "g" to download.

ciao babe

allanBook
04-30-2005, 01:36 AM
I finally figured out where to put the eve3.framework-thingie, sorry for wasting space :o

Darth Mole
04-30-2005, 02:55 AM
Harlan - already got it installed...

Ge4-ce
04-30-2005, 04:09 AM
AAAAAHH must resist!..... cannot wait any longer ..... will not install tiger .... have to be patient!!....

I have promised myself to wait until july. I cannot afford downtime now. Everything works great as it is. BUT you guys with all the fancy shining storys about how great those new features are, are driving me insane! Oh well... I'll go and cry now.. :(

Nigel Baker
04-30-2005, 04:35 AM
WOW,

Has anyone downloaded the new Quicktime HD movies.
The Quality realy is brilliant.

I think I am going to have to move into OSX 4 quicker than expected.

avkills
04-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I did a fresh install, LW7.5d can not find my hardware key. (I did not have the key connected during any installation)

Re-installing the sentinal does not work either.

G5 Dual 2 and PB 867. Neither one works.

Does anyone have any ideas?

-mark

Nigel Baker
04-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Hello AvKills,

Sorry to hear the news.
You should also have a software License key that goes in your program folder with your lightwave folder.
Is that still there ?

avkills
04-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Hello AvKills,

Sorry to hear the news.
You should also have a software License key that goes in your program folder with your lightwave folder.
Is that still there ?

Yes I have changed that to my permanent key that Newtek sent me. One weird thing is though, the ".key" seems to be the extension for Keynote, so I did the editing from the Terminal with pico, instead of TextEdit, since TextEdit saved it and then the system thought it was a Keynote document. Weird.

I have tried some suggestions from tech support pages, but none worked.

I really hope my dongle did not suffer a mishap.

-mark

Nigel Baker
04-30-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't know if this is anything.
But is LW 7.5 ment to work with OS X Tiger ?
I am using LW 8.2.1 and am awaiting Newteks new Update very soon.

I know this is not how it is.
But would you do a new install again from your Lightwave Discs.
Or have you done this already.

Keep posting back, maybe someone else has or is having similar experiences.

avkills
04-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Yes I usually do complete re-installs on major point upgrades. I also wanted to change my disk partitioning.

It may very well be that LW7.5d will not work in Tiger. It did not even run until I applied the "d" update. Although, it does seem to work ok in Discovery Mode, renders and OpenGL preview seems stable.

I guess it will be a good excuse to upgrade to 8. ;)

-mark

Nigel Baker
04-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Well thats good news if it is working in Discovery.
i thought it was dead full stop.

How about moving your hardkey (dongle) to another USB port.
Some times I find certain USB ports are better than others. I now leave my key in a USB Hub so it is never moved any more.
I don't know your set up but it is a suggestion to consider.
Also try the Ports on the machine not the monitors if they are the ones you are using.

Best of Luck, keep Posting.

avkills
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Does not seem to be a port issue. Green light on the dongle lights up. Profiler knows what it is. :confused:

-mark

Nigel Baker
04-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Hello mark,

Just want to make sure.
the simple text file that is your License.key
While in text edit do you know that if you hold down (command+shift+t) it creats a txt file rather than the RTF version.

There may be something with this.

All the best.

avkills
04-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes I am well aware of the need for it to stay a simple .txt file. That is why I just did the edit inside the Terminal with Pico.

-mark

BeeVee
04-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Have you tried getting a new version of the Sentinel drivers? http://www.safenet-inc.com/

B

avkills
04-30-2005, 02:03 PM
No I have not tried that. Their server is not responding, I'll try later or tomorow. Thanks for the heads up on that.

-mark

kmscottmoore
04-30-2005, 04:15 PM
This is not specific to Lightwave, but if you're using Thursby's Dave to connect Macs and PCs, DON'T! (I repeat DON'T!!) install 10.4 aka Tiger. It screws up the networking big time. Check their website. They don't expect to have a fix until end of June or July.

Captain Obvious
04-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Not really Tiger-related as such, since QT7 is out for Panther too, but H.264 kicks posterior.

avkills
04-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I have an idea now what it could be. I partition my drives as HFS+ case sensitive, which I think is what is causing the problem. I had another problem app, and copying into a disk image that was case insensitive fixed it and let it run.

Hopefully it is a case of I may just have to rename some stuff so LW loads it. Tech support I hope can help. Otherwise I guess I will re-do my system again.

:mad:

-mark

avkills
04-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Ah hah, I was right. I made the license.key file all caps and it worked. :D

Thanks everyone for the help.

-mark

allanBook
05-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Hi,

I know that there are some users (myself included) who did an Archive and Install of Tiger and could no longer launch Lightwave, with the error message stating something about not find "Eve3.framework."

Many have already found how to get past this problem, like reinstalling LW for example, but I got a PM asking how I moved the missing Eve3.framework into the proper place without having to reinstall Lightwave, so I've decided to post the following for any other fellow 'Waver who might find this helpful:

"Assuming you're also running LW [8], this is how to fix it:

1. Go to "/Applications/Lightwave [8]/OS X Dongle" and copy the "Eve3.framework" folder

(note: you might find it easier to copy the whole path I listed in quotes and go into Finder, hit command+shift+G, paste the file path, and hit return)

2. Next go to "/Library/Frameworks" and paste a copy of "Eve3.framework" inside the Frameworks folder.

(note: this "/Library/Frameworks" is at the root of your computer, NOT your user (i.e. home) folder. Place it in the proper Library folder)

3. restart your Mac

4. plug your USB Dongle in and start up Lightwave."

Again, I know that some users have already gotten past this issue or did not have to deal with it at all, but for those who chose Archive and Install and got their LW non-functioning afterwards, I hope this helps.

-Allan

Nigel Baker
05-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Hello avkills

Great to hear your good news. :-)

Chazz
05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Uh-oh. Spoke too soon. I'm getting weird pixelly trails in Modeller when I move the perspective view around. I also noticed this in Grapher, the built-in 3D graphing calculator.

I'm using an ATI X800XT - anyone else notice anything similar?

I get the same problem with my X800 as well. It makes the shaded viewport unusable unless I maximize that to the entire window. I also noticed that World of Warcraft has a similar bug in windowed mode... let's hope the new 8.3 update can address this, or the 10.4.1 patch fixes it.

Just out of curiosity, what version of the ATI displays software are you running?

Darth Mole
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
All the latest - including the ATI firmware upgrade.

In the end I downgraded back to Panther - it's stable, OpenGL works fine, and I prefer the old Mail client. Also, I have no need for widgets or RSS feeds! (And QT7 works in 10.3).

I'll move back to Tiger when Apple sorts it out - though having tried it, I'm in no real hurry.

monovich
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
after seeing tiger on a friend's mac, I wasn't that impressed, so I'm holding off for now, too if even for the simple fact that we have about 10 macs, and it would cost a ton of money for not much quality.

downloaded QT 7 and played some HD stuff and it was great! took forever to download, though.

-s

harlan
05-02-2005, 07:39 PM
after seeing tiger on a friend's mac, I wasn't that impressed, so I'm holding off for now, too if even for the simple fact that we have about 10 macs, and it would cost a ton of money for not much quality.

downloaded QT 7 and played some HD stuff and it was great! took forever to download, though.

-s

I'm sure the download time was related more to bandwidth than anything as the files are only between 20 & 100MB in size (unless you download the 1080 footage which is a little bigger).

All I can say to you who are waiting before upgrading to Tiger, you're sorely missing out. Tiger is without a doubt the most stable release of OSX to date, and it's features are seriously impressive but you wouldn't be able to truly appreciate them if you only played with it for a short period of time. Spotlight, for example, was a complete waste in my opinion - until I started using it. It's now completely changed the way I work, and I can't imagine having to work without it. Automator is just phenomenal, and I've already reduced a ton of repetetive tasks with it.

I can understand the need to toss back to Panther if you're having some issues with the x800, but I've got an x800 on one box and really don't have any trouble with it once I downgraded the ROM & updated to the newest drivers. There are a number of people however who are having trouble with the x800 cards, but it'll more than likely be remedied shortly by ATI.

Tiger's performance overall is improved over previous versions of OSX - even apps that haven't been optimized for Tiger are benefiting from performance increases in Tiger. LW's stability on the Mac doesn't seem to have been altered in anyway (good or bad). If you use Motion or any of the Apple Pro Apps, then you're definitely going to want to upgrade to Tiger as the new versions make heavy use of Tiger functions (CoreVideo & CoreImage).

meanlebh
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
if you download QT 7, do you also then have to re-purchase the pro version? I know when you buy FCP or DVDSP, they give you serial numbers for qtpro, but i have a feeling that they only work for QT 6 or whatever the version of QT is when you purchase them, can anyone shed some light onto this for me?

-Brian

Chazz
05-02-2005, 09:54 PM
You're right about it having a lot of amazing features (Spotlight and Automator are fantastic!), but if you can hold off upgrading it might save you a lot of grief. Tiger has quite a few rough edges, probably moreso than the first Panther release. Check out some of the mac sites like MacNN before you update.

I'm coming off a weekend with Tiger and am now on my third clean install, mostly resulting from a Mail and Safari crash that hosed my system, as well as a day lost trying to get my iPhoto library updated to no avail. Besides that, there are a lot of little bugs, like icons not staying in the dock, display prefs resetting for no apparent reason, and so on. OpenGL with my X800 messes up Modeler for me as well, so until the 10.4.1 patch comes out, I'm going to go back to 10.3.

harlan
05-02-2005, 11:20 PM
if you download QT 7, do you also then have to re-purchase the pro version? I know when you buy FCP or DVDSP, they give you serial numbers for qtpro, but i have a feeling that they only work for QT 6 or whatever the version of QT is when you purchase them, can anyone shed some light onto this for me?

-Brian

Hey Brian. Yeah you'll have to purchase a new QT Pro activation for QT7. It may seem inconvenient, but 7 is the first major upgrade for QT in quite a while and the activation fee isn't that steep. If you hold off on updating until you update to FCP5 or DVDSP4, I'm sure you'll get another "free" activation of QT Pro with them.

Darth Mole
05-03-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm with Chazz. I'll wait for 10.4.1 - or possibly later. There's enough wrong with Tiger on this machine to make up for the right stuff. There has been an awful lot of criticism of it on the Mac forums... And in terms of stability, I've had zero problems with the latest build of Panther.

Nigel Baker
05-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Hello Meanlebh,

I downloaded the new QT7, WOW it is amazing having HD film in a QT movie.
BUT STOP. I am using OSX.3.9 now not all my quicktime movies play with sound.
All my old movies that I have no longer output sound, even though there is sound within the file. So move with caution.

Also yes, you loose your QT Pro License, you will have to purchase a new one.
The list of new features that come with QT7 is good.
The only other thing I wish it had is on screen recording and sound capture.

crpcory
05-03-2005, 09:23 AM
I see I'm not the only person with Tiger/X800 issues. I, however, just bought a new PM and don't have panther to resort back to. I didn't notice the problem with my 9600 that came with it but it won't feel right having a $500 card sitting on a shelf waiting for an update. Lightwave using multiple viewports is the only issue I seem to have (the gray artifacts and funky open GL all around). I suppose i can do single port switching for a while, too bad because going from a dual 533 G4 with 700mb ram and a 32meg geforce 2 to a dual 2.3 G5 with 2.5 g ram and an x800 which is so spendid otherwise...i can't go back ;)

Is this something apple needs to fix more or ati? For me my 9600 was okay but apparently those of you using an x800 in panther aren't having any problem. Anyone have an idea when a tiger update would be released? (i know apple recruited a bunch of open GL masters a few weeks ago, i wonder if this had anything to do with ti)?

Anyone using vga or dual monitors with this problem?

Chazz
05-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this is an Apple/ATI fix. There were reports of Apple working on a 10.4.1 fix about the time that Tiger went gold master. I noticed that World of Warcraft has similar artifacts in windowed mode, so with any luck there will be a quick fix coming.

Haven't had much time to play with all the reinstalling I've been doing (thanks Mail!) but I've not seen any other OpenGL artifacts in Maya or modo.

Chazz
05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
message removed

meanlebh
05-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Nigel, thanks for the response, after i posted the question i found out the answer for myself, I had upgraded to 7, but then i went back to 6 when i realized that i had to pay again for it, I think i will just wait until i upgrade to tiger in a few weeks and pay for it then, because i am in the middle of a project right now and don't wanna have to worry about things screwing up on me at the last minute. anyways, thanks for the reply, i can't wait to be able to play around with it some more when i get some more free time.

-Brian

PG-13
05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
AAAAAHH must resist!..... cannot wait any longer ..... will not install tiger .... have to be patient!!....

I have promised myself to wait until july. I cannot afford downtime now. Everything works great as it is. BUT you guys with all the fancy shining storys about how great those new features are, are driving me insane! Oh well... I'll go and cry now.. :(

I would suggest adding a second HD to your G5. (Hard drives are cheap.) It will give you great peace of mind. I have 4 120gig HDs in my aging 1.2 ghz G4. HDs #3 & #4 are just for video storage. HD #1 is my OS X system drive. HD #2 has a "Carbon Copy Cloner" clone of my OS X system and my OS 9 classic environment. Upgrading (any major upgrade) then becomes painless.

Step 1: Make sure my CCC clone on HD #2 is up to date. It will be unless I have recently installed another upgrade.

Step 2: Install Upgrade (With OS 10.4 I did a normal upgrade since I don't want to reinstall any apps or reset any preferences.)

Step 3: Test all apps and hardware. If there is a problem I can boot to HD #2 and be back in business. I can then take my time solving the any upgrade conflicts, or if it is a total disaster - CCC my HD#2 OS X back to HD#1 and revert to the previous state. (There were no problems with my setup and Tiger)

Step 4: Give the upgrade (Tiger) a real shakedown cruise for a few weeks while I leave HD #2 with the last stable version (10.3.9). After I am absolutly sure the current upgrade is stable I doesn't break anything I'll update the CCC clone on HD#2 and be ready for the next upgrade! :)

riki
05-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Just picked up my copy of Tiger, haven't had a chance to install yet. Any nasties to watch out for??

dssstrkl
05-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I completely reformatted my hard disk when I installed Tiger (way too much bloatware), and have reinstalled [8.0], but when I try to enter my registration key, it tells me that it is in a incorrect format and must be 1234-1234-1234-1234. However, this is the way I typed it in. Any suggestions?

Chazz
05-08-2005, 03:49 PM
The Ligthwave 8 installer is broken; I had the same trouble with my install last week. Just tell the installer that you'll register later and manually paste your license key into a text file and save it as license.key in the programs folder.

Riki, Tiger seems to be breaking a lot of things so it's probably a good idea to check to make sure all your peripherals have Tiger-compatible drivers available. For instance, if you use an X800 video card, you should probably hold off until the drivers are fixed.

Captain Obvious
05-08-2005, 04:27 PM
I completely reformatted my hard disk when I installed Tiger (way too much bloatware), and have reinstalled [8.0], but when I try to enter my registration key, it tells me that it is in a incorrect format and must be 1234-1234-1234-1234. However, this is the way I typed it in. Any suggestions?
If you have a backup of the old installation, you can just copy the Eve3 framework from your old /Library/Frameworks into the new one. That seems to work perfectly, no reinstallation required.

allanBook
05-08-2005, 05:04 PM
The Ligthwave 8 installer is broken; I had the same trouble with my install last week. Just tell the installer that you'll register later and manually paste your license key into a text file and save it as license.key in the programs folder.

I'm not so sure that the installer is broken, because I had no problems installing and entering my registration key during the LW[8] install process after my Erase & Install of Tiger.

Chazz
05-08-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm not so sure that the installer is broken, because I had no problems installing and entering my registration key during the LW[8] install process after my Erase & Install of Tiger.

You might be right about that, I don't remember if it worked when 8 first came out. In any event, you can still add the license key manually with Textedit. The eve3 framework won't help with your license key however.

Darth Mole
05-09-2005, 05:43 AM
From Mac OS Rumours:

"Another key change in 10.4.1 involves graphics card drivers for recent nVIDIA and ATi GPUs in addition to updated OpenGL libraries which promise significantly better 3D performance on those cards as well as fewer display artifacts with Apple's Quartz 2D Extreme technology."

Fingers crossed for our ATI X800 hassles then.

dssstrkl
05-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Riki, Tiger seems to be breaking a lot of things so it's probably a good idea to check to make sure all your peripherals have Tiger-compatible drivers available. For instance, if you use an X800 video card, you should probably hold off until the drivers are fixed.

I tried doing that, but both modeller and layout are still in discovery mode. I'm really not sure what to do about this.

mrxd
05-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I upgraded to 10.4 and I have LW7.5d and now I get this "cannot find Eve3.framework" message any time I try to launch modeler or lightwave. My dongle light is still on. I guess I'll re-install LW and see if it helps. Any ideas about what that message means? I guess I should do a clean install next time when OSX 10.5 comes along.

Dual 1GHz G4
2GB RAM
ATI 9800 video card

allanBook
05-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I upgraded to 10.4 and I have LW7.5d and now I get this "cannot find Eve3.framework" message any time I try to launch modeler or lightwave. My dongle light is still on. I guess I'll re-install LW and see if it helps. Any ideas about what that message means? I guess I should do a clean install next time when OSX 10.5 comes along.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=269340&postcount=29

This earlier post in this thread should help.

TheMartian
05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I also had the issue with OSX10.4 and LW8.0, where it refused the license key during the installation.

in my case adding a space on the end of the license key, actually fixed this one

BeeVee
05-12-2005, 02:34 AM
It may well have fixed the problem, but it really has no bearing at all! :) The license.key *must* be those digits plus hyphens, so adding a space will do nothing (likewise, adding in the name of the computer at the end of the license key to differentiate between multiple keys in a single file does no harm either). It must have been something else you did that made it work - saving as plain text rather than RTF perhaps? :)

B

mrxd
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
sorry to re-hash an old topic.

My fix was to download the eve3.framework folder from a website specified by Newtek, stick it into the 'framework' folder in the library and it worked right away.

yazan
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I as well didn't have a backup of the system and have been looking for the fix for quite a while. Here's a link to the site that I googled for that fixes the problem. I hope it does for the rest atleast.
http://c3.safenet-inc.com/eveESC.asp
download
place it in the Framework folder in your Library (not user's library)
restart
Install Lightwave
It'll restart automatically, if it doesn't, restart
Make sure your dongle is connected from the start of procedure (I don't know if it would work if it wasn't, try it at your own risk, it took me enought time to get it to work in the first place)
and double click on your lightwave icons. Hope it works for you.
Yazan

Jmvolpe
10-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi Allan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to send detailed instructions for those experiencing the same issue. I up-graded to OS 10.3.9 for the same thing happened. NewTek tech support did not provide the necessary steps to get the “Eve3.Framwork” into its proper location. Your a LW saver :)

~Julia :)

Hi,

I know that there are some users (myself included) who did an Archive and Install of Tiger and could no longer launch Lightwave, with the error message stating something about not find "Eve3.framework."

Many have already found how to get past this problem, like reinstalling LW for example, but I got a PM asking how I moved the missing Eve3.framework into the proper place without having to reinstall Lightwave, so I've decided to post the following for any other fellow 'Waver who might find this helpful:

"Assuming you're also running LW [8], this is how to fix it:

1. Go to "/Applications/Lightwave [8]/OS X Dongle" and copy the "Eve3.framework" folder

(note: you might find it easier to copy the whole path I listed in quotes and go into Finder, hit command+shift+G, paste the file path, and hit return)

2. Next go to "/Library/Frameworks" and paste a copy of "Eve3.framework" inside the Frameworks folder.

(note: this "/Library/Frameworks" is at the root of your computer, NOT your user (i.e. home) folder. Place it in the proper Library folder)

3. restart your Mac

4. plug your USB Dongle in and start up Lightwave."

Again, I know that some users have already gotten past this issue or did not have to deal with it at all, but for those who chose Archive and Install and got their LW non-functioning afterwards, I hope this helps.

-Allan