PDA

View Full Version : Poser

xrv
04-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Would anyone know how to import a Poser 6.0 figure into LW3D 8.2?
Mac, OSX 10.309 :)

Silkrooster
04-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I haven't upgrade to 6 yet, still using 5. But you should be able to export the object as a obj file or lightwave 5 file. It may need to be exported as 3ds to keep the textures.
Animations etc. are not supported yet. So I would recommend reboning the character if you plan on animating.
Silk

xrv
04-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks.
I'm a newbie to Poser. Just downloaded Poser 6.0.
Attempts to export the figure in any format makes the program vaporize.
Maybe I should backtrack to Poser 5.0.

Hoopti
04-28-2005, 07:50 PM
You can try the Greenbriar plugins, although some users have posted some problems which are hit and miss in getting items in. You can find their address at www.flay.com

Here's a website that may help as well.

http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/archive/326/

Hope these help.

Hoop

ps. I've been using 6 along with the greenbriar plugins without an issue.

xrv
04-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks.
The CR2 Loader/Rigger looks like the trick.
Are you using the Poser 6 upgrade? How much is that?

Verlon
04-29-2005, 07:18 AM
I have used the greenbriar stuff with P5 without much difficulty. I haven't tried with P6 yet.

Hoopti
04-29-2005, 08:52 AM
If you go to the Greenbriar site, they're offering free upgrades to the versions of their software that works with version 6 of poser.

Hoop

wildr
04-29-2005, 09:56 AM
I've also had good luck with the Greenbriar tools, but I have not tried it with 6. The main difficulty I've had is that some characters that are just geometry morphs of other characters do not allways import correctly, you wind up with just the origonal base geometry. I suspect that this is not the fault of the Greenbriar tools, but instead an error in the morph in poser. But in most casses the object and morphs and textures come across perfectly. It seems to work well with most DAZ models. For rigging, my experience is the Thomas4D rigs seem to work best with the poser stuff. But with all the geometry in the Poser models there are bound to be problem areas when animating.

schnudd
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Poser 6 has a File>Export>LightWave 5... option. I tried it and it put out a lightwave object file (*_x.lwo) where x is numbered sequentially for each frame of a 44 frame walk cycle in Poser. Now, that seems like a good thing, and each "frame" probably has the object with its posture at that point in time. Trouble is, I have no clue what to do with this kind of output. How do we get that into Lightwave? Anyone have a clue?

I have also used the GreenBriar tools. They work fairly well. I have a monster that exported quite nicely, with only some minor tweaking on the bone structure (from Poser 5). However, a crow model from Poser imported all the bones into LW, but they were all over the place. They were correctly named, so I deleted the wing and leg on one side, and fixed the other then mirrored it over to the other side. I suppose it beat building the thing from scratch since the bones were the right size and had their corresponding maps from poser on the model, which ended up working OK. Unless Poser 6 has the ability to do this better, the GreenBriar plugins seem to be somewhat useful.

Thanks in advance.

hulagirl7
05-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Poser 6 has a File>Export>LightWave 5... option. I tried it and it put out a lightwave object file (*_x.lwo) where x is numbered sequentially for each frame of a 44 frame walk cycle in Poser. Now, that seems like a good thing, and each "frame" probably has the object with its posture at that point in time. Trouble is, I have no clue what to do with this kind of output. How do we get that into Lightwave? Anyone have a clue?

You can use LWs "object replacement" section (object properties)
to swap out a new object each frame. any image/procedural textures
will likely be screwy, though.
I have had luck with "mult. target/one evelope" in deform panel
morphing between all the frames, and using first object in sequence
as the master object.