PDA

View Full Version : Good defragment utility?

mgrusin
04-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Can anyone recommend a good 3rd party defragment utility for NTFS? (Win2K SP4).

Seems like whenever I try to optimize my array, the built-in Windows defragmenter can't handle it for some reason. No errors, it just quietly doesn't defragment many of the bigger video files (as listed when it finishes). Don't know if this is because it doesn't have enough RAM (1G), not enough free space (60GB), or what. I don't ask anymore. ;)

Needless to say, any candidate needs to be rock solid - I backup the important bits from my array to external drives, but I'd still be <darth vader>displeased</darth vader> if anything trashed the array.

Thanks, Toasternauts! -MG.

Rich Deustachio
04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Executive Software Diskeeper. http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp

ted
04-28-2005, 11:31 AM
I know some people hate it, but I LOVE the norton utilities defragger.
I usually buy the Norton Systemworks yearly.

Scott Bates
04-28-2005, 12:08 PM
O&O Defrag - www.oo-software.com (http://www.oo-software.com)

Matt
04-28-2005, 12:45 PM
I second O&O Defrag, tried the demo and it works brilliantly, pretty fast and a lovely easy to use user interface.

mgrusin
04-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll try them all out.

Best, -MG.

Jim Capillo
04-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Diskeeper seconded ! :)

DonN
04-28-2005, 10:35 PM
PerfectDisk6 has been my stand alone defragger for years.. Smart analysis, mapper, scheduler and optimizer. My video drive un-studders when defragged and optimized. So I am a believer.
And don't let the video drive get overly full, another good rule to follow.
Don

Mark Patrick
04-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Though I realize some here use Perfectdisk without a problem. On two occasions I have had to entirely reformat and reload everything after using Perfectdisk. It knocked out some kind of boot up file. Eventually they just had to refund me.

eon5
05-02-2005, 06:46 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Diskeeper

DennisL
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
- Diskeeper keeps my two 500 GB arays defraged -

Diskeeper 7.0 Pro will work with NTFS arrays up just under 500 GB if you have arrays bigger than that you have to go for the Server version. I don’t know about the other products but Diskeeper will also Dfrag your Master File Table and swap files with there Boot time option. If your MFT gets Fraged it will really slow things down. It also has a neat utility called “Frag Shield” that will analyze your system and make recommendations on how much memory to allocate for your MFT and Swap File, and allows you change there size to prevent there becoming Fragmented.

Dennis