PDA

View Full Version : To Bake or Not to Bake

shockwave
04-28-2005, 10:13 AM
I have been going through my copy if ILW8 and have inserted my Starbug model into a scene from a tutorial in it. The scene has baked surfaces but my model does not. I uv mapped all the surfaces and have my bump/spec/diffus and colour all set up. It takes 2-1/2 minutes to render a frame on my comp. I was wondering if I should bake my surfaces to it and if I should , should I do it in different passes such as one for colour then one for bump and so on..? Also what seems to be the best format to save to?
Thanks in advance :)

Silkrooster
04-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Since your using UV's I don't think you need to worry too much about baking. Where you would need to worry, is if this is an animation, and your using procedurals, and/or you have radiosity turned on. Then baking will reduce your rendering time.
Another instance would be a still image you plan on rerendering later. By baking the textures, you don't have to worry about the cpu calculating procedurals, reflections, specularity, transparency, etc.
Should you move an object that makes say the specularity change, then that would have to be rebaked, so certain channels you know will be changing from frame to frame, you don't need to bake, as it will be recalculated anyways.

@everybody
If I have any of this incorrect or am missing anything, please reply.
Silk