PDA

View Full Version : Emulating the TriCaster

Ahmed
04-28-2005, 01:41 AM
A customer of ours cannot wait for the TriCaster. While waiting for the PAL version, we are willing to lend him a VT4 system. All he wants is to stream live video to their campus. Nothing less, nothing more.
I am just wondering, if we build a new machine (Shuttle casing) with a VT[3/4] and use it temp as a streaming device; what will be the best configuration to run this streaming?

One issue, the streaming can only be seen if you are inside the campus and not outside it and may be only less than 100 will watch at any time. Do we need a dedicated streaming server?

Thanks.

radams
04-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi Ahmed,

FIrst I would touch base with Jef about the shuttle stuff he has done many systems and test with them. He also may have info on the streaming side as well.

From where is the streaming location going to be and how will they be connected to the Internet?

If you are looking at that many users watching then yeah you should be sending this to a web server for distribution...the server would access the VT stream and then distribute across.

Cheers,

Ahmed
04-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks Ray for your reply.
The idea behind this is temporary, as when the Tricaster is release in PAL we would give them the Tricaster.
Any way, we have done plenty of streaming demo, but on our team were the viewrs.

Faraz
05-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Correct me if I'm wroung, but the TriCaster and VT4 are limited to streaming upto 10 people. After that it's up to the stream server.

Ahmed
05-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Faraz,

I am not sure that how it is only limited to 10 people only.
We have tried streaming through the VT machine only. We also tried streaming to another dedicated media server (Dell Optiplex machine). Is the 10 people limitiation related to Microsoft not giving you more viewers if you encode and stream using the same machine?

We will be testing this week.

pnelson
05-01-2005, 09:36 PM
It's more of a realistic limit based on your internet connection and the speed of the system.

Ahmed
05-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Inside the campus, there is at least 100Mb bandwidth. In fact in some instances there is 1Gb bandwidth. The streaming for internal viewers and not outside viewers.

But having said that it would be great if NT posts a guide to streaming under different situations. What hardware and software is needed in addition to the TriCaster or VT based. That will help us NewTekasians sell more of it.

For example, last year NAB when NT streamed the event, what was used during that event. Maybe Aussie can help if he was involved.

One last question, I know the PAL version is not out, but for streaming video only, is it already PAL compatible? I am assuming that it is, if the Tricast card is actually VT Based.

I think the TriCaster may just be the hit we have been looking forward from NT. It is great, specific, and very portable.

Thanks Philip.

ted
05-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Even though the TriCaster wasn't of interest to me upon it's announcement, I've been entertaining the idea of using it to open new avenues of revenue.
Really slick. OK, I admit it. It's a great idea. There, I said it! :rolleyes: