PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet possible without ethernet?

Johnny
04-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I am having 15,000,000 cubic furlongs of headaches with this linksys router, and the fine tech support folks in india just don't seem to be able to understand how to help me...I'm getting nowhere fast.

I have a 5 port Dlink switch that handles ether net fine, but not with my dsl modem.

I need ethernet. I also need Internet.

Is screamernetting possible using Firewire? Just seems that having DSL AND a router isn't working out.

thanks!

J

Scazzino
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
ScreamerNet doesn't know or care about networking... It's really not a "networking" rendering system... As far as ScreamerNet is concerned, it's accessing the job and ack files (and content etc) all locally... it's up to the underlying OS to have all the host paths mounted locally for each remote render node...

So this means that any way you can mount the host paths on your remote node's desktop should allow ScreamerNet rendering, regardless of how they got there...

Here's some info on setting up a ScreamerNet render on the Mac... the same concepts should work no matter how you mount the paths...

http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html

So if you can mount the host Mac's HD on each render node through any means, it should work...

-MikeS

Matt
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
As Mike says, SN is just accessing files, so long as all the nodes can access the same files across a network the actual method of networking is transparent to it.

But in order to share these files you have to employ some kind of networking for the computers to access each others hard drives.

Johnny
04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
As Mike says, SN is just accessing files, so long as all the nodes can access the same files across a network the actual method of networking is transparent to it.

But in order to share these files you have to employ some kind of networking for the computers to access each others hard drives.

OK... on modern macs, our choices are firewire, ethernet and ____? USB isn't for networking, is it?

kinda sounds like ethernet is the only real candidate here with the above-mentioned requirements...

Scazzino
04-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Ethernet's usually the easiest (built-in) method... but you could try something like this if you want to try using FireWire instead...

http://www.unibrain.com/1394_products/1394_networking/firenet_mac.htm

-MikeS

Nigel Baker
04-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Hello Johnny,

If you decide to travel down the Firewire road, for Screamer Net.
Will you keep us posted please. Sounds really good, and very well priced.

Thanks.

Johnny
04-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello Johnny,

If you decide to travel down the Firewire road, for Screamer Net.
Will you keep us posted please. Sounds really good, and very well priced.

Thanks.

Will do. turns out there are FireWire routers out there. this dsl/router thing is really in my craw..if I can't settle it and make them all play nice together, I will do the firewire thing..

I need both dsl and screamernetability