PDA

View Full Version : Sasquatch Lite

gary3dtobe
04-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Does Sasquatch Lite come with LW8?? If so, where is the plug-in?

MrWyatt
04-27-2005, 02:43 AM
might be a good start to search the plugin folder ;)

it is called saslite not sasquatch lite btw.

Silkrooster
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM
2 places -
Object Properties>Deform>Add Displacement>SasLight
Window>Image Processing...>Add Pixel Filter>SasLight
Edit: Must be turned on in both places for saslight to work.
Silk

hrgiger
04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Does Sasquatch Lite come with LW8??

Yes, unfortunately it does.

harlan
04-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Yes, unfortunately it does.

My sentiments exactly!!!

Saslite is fairly half-assed, and should in no way be considered a comprehensive fur & hair tool. It's useful for some things, but useless for most. The full version of Sasquatch on the other hand is fantastic, but it's pricey (not that pricey, but it's more than the free Saslite).

Saslite is nothing more than a horrendously limited, demo version of Sasquatch that was included in LW just so they could advertise the inclusion of Hair & Fur. Saslite was added around the same time that all the other apps began implementing & advertising their own Hair & Fur systems - the difference is that the Hair & Fur systems in the other packages are complete, useful, and full featured products. Ironically, a majority of the Hair & Fur packages found in the other apps are from Joe Alter (Shave & Haircut) - who first released Shave & Haircut on LW, but it's strangely absent from LW these days... hmmm go figure!

Give us a full featured Hair & Fur package, or start advertising the inclusion of Saslite with LW for what it truly is "nothing more than a limited piece of trialware from a 3rd party product".

Weeeeeee....

I love Lightwave!! Lightwave angers me sometimes!!!

harlan
04-27-2005, 10:09 PM
This quote from the LW Product information page has always bugged me:

"Sasquatch Lite: Hair and fur rendering using Sasquatch rendering engine, also excellent for grass and foliage. The Sasquatch engine is the fastest, highest quality hair renderer in the industry"

It's a shame that Saslite doesn't truly use the full Sasquatch Engine, as is implied here in the marketing nonsense. Try rendering decent looking fur on moving objects with Saslite and tell me that it's "the highest quality hair renderer in the industry" - It's more like "The lowest quality, no render control, flickering garbage hair renderer in the industry".

FiberFactory that was out like centuries ago for LW was a more effective Hair & Fur system for LW than Saslite is today!

Baaah... Screw you Saslite... Screw You!!!! :)

Okay, I'm done ranting. It's been fun.

nickej
05-31-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm not yet in rant mode, but I've just run into a limitation with SasLite that's really got me frustrated: you can only use eight instances of it per scene! I'm working on an undersea bug-like thing, and need to apply fibers to parts of it, so I need a hair/fur/fiber generator. I don't need a powerful, full-featured expensive hair generator, just something that can make spikey stuff like lobsters, crabs and spiders have in spots. SasLite was fine, but Sasquatch is complete overkill. Fiber Factory and its company seems defunct, but if it still works (version 7.5d, Win2K) and someone would point me to a place I can get it free, I'd really appreciate it. Visible splines doesn't look too good, unfortunately. Really, any old hair plugin might work. Does anybody have some old favorite sitting in a bottom drawer somewhere?

private
05-31-2005, 11:46 PM
I really have my hopes up this Siggraph. I really think Sas Full will be included in Lightwave. It's because...they have to to stay competitive.

Kvaalen
06-01-2005, 12:38 AM
I really have my hopes up this Siggraph. I really think Sas Full will be included in Lightwave. It's because...they have to to stay competitive.LOL! I have my doubts about that! :)

In anycase, I too really hate Saslite. I never use it. The full Sas is good, and that is the reason why LW will never (in the close future) have a good fur&hair system. NewTek has said many times that it's not 3rd party tools that will stop them from developping their own, but I don't think they can afford pissing Worley off.

I dare NewTek to say that isn't true and actually include a good full hair&fur system with LightWave! ;)

MrWyatt
06-01-2005, 01:05 AM
I really think Sas Full will be included in Lightwave. It's because...they have to to stay competitive.

Yeah riiiiight. and why not adopt mental ray a superior rigging system and syflex at the same time, not to speak of a crowd simulation solution and a shake like compositing program all integrated. Wait no that was xsi, rats.

i really think statements like yours might let new users of lightwave expect too much from next releases and make them unhappy when they find out that none of it happened. making statements like that is pure speculation and has therefor no purpose at all. itīs all just wishfull thinking. unless your name is worley, you really cannot backup what you said can you?

gjjackson
06-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Maybe LW ought to check into buying the source code from this company. They were willing to sell it awhile back. They asked me if I had any contacts at Newtek. I don't. I checked out their demo videos and they looked great. If enough people wanted it maybe, just maybe Newtek would consider it. It wouldn't hurt if Worley had some competition. I don't know of any, since Shave is no longer available for LW.

The link for it is.

http://www.fxrealm.com/products/furistic/lwdesc.htm

DANGER!
06-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm with harlan on this one, Saslite is practically useless. I would however be willing to pay a little extra for an 'unlimited' version of Saslite. Something that was simple to use but did'nt have the stupid poly limit or the 8 instances limit (I thought it was only 4) and maybe slightly improved rendering options. Is this asking too much?

hrgiger
06-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I really have my hopes up this Siggraph. I really think Sas Full will be included in Lightwave. It's because...they have to to stay competitive.

Yeah, right. And George Bush knows his a$s from a hole in the ground when it comes to being a good president.

joeldberry
06-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Dang. Looks like we won't be seeing the full version in Lightwave at SIGGraph '05.

;)

lardbros
06-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Yep, have to agree STRONGLY to every comment here. I WISH every day that lightwave was up there with the rest of the competition when it comes to hair & fur, but quite simply it's nowhere near.

Even if Worley was to allow Newtek the whole version of Sasquatch, where would that leave LW? Newtek would then have an outdated hair and fur system. No offence to Worley and his amazing team, but sasquatch hasnt been updated for years, and although it works great im sure, it doesn't have the features of the latest offerings in other software.

Anyway, i'll keep things crossed for something nice in a year or two! :confused:

LSlugger
06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Sasquatch has to be one of the most popular plug ins for LightWave (rivaled, perhaps, by Worley's own F-Prime). Personally, I think Saslite is better than nothing, but it does feel a bit like an advertisement. After paying this much for the program, it seems out of place, like a Pepsi ad. in the middle of a Sopranos episode.

I would love to see Sasquatch (and F-Prime) integrated into LightWave, but let's put it in perspective: would you pay $500 more for LightWave Unlimited?

Dodgy
06-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Yep, have to agree STRONGLY to every comment here. I WISH every day that lightwave was up there with the rest of the competition when it comes to hair & fur, but quite simply it's nowhere near.

Maya hair/fur only comes with unlimited ... $7000
XSI hair only comes in Advanced .... $7000
3dsmax... shave and hair cut only on subscription .....$3500
Cinema 4d.... No hair.. Have to buy shave and a hair cut: $400

saslite....free
sasquatch...$500

As you can see that's still quite competitive. Even stand alone shave is $400, and I'm not sure that's a good deal. I used shave on LW and found it to be flakey at best. I would hope it has got better (That's what XSI Advanced uses after all).

http://www.ephere.com/ornatrix/
Apparently this guy is thinking of doing a port of his max hair plugin to xsi. Maybe LW users would like to write to him to get it to be ported over here too? It's only $150 for it on max...

nemac4
06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
To me,.. it seems that we are given a CHOICE to buy Full Sas or use the limited version... or even some other options,.. like meshpaint or shaders and polys. I don't see that as bad. I like having an inexpensive 3d package that is affordable enough to add plugs that I need when I need them, rather than buying a grand ultimate package when I don't need X features. I also like the idea of having third party developers out there focusing on X features and giving us cool innovative choices rather than,.. Newtek saying,.. well here is what we have for hair,.. it cost this much more now.

hrgiger
06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Apparently this guy is thinking of doing a port of his max hair plugin to xsi. Maybe LW users would like to write to him to get it to be ported over here too? It's only $150 for it on max...

That looks like a quality plug-in. I sent him an email asking about a possible port to Lightwave, others should do the same. Would be nice to have some competition for Worley. Here's the email address I used: [email protected]

EDIT: This email was bounced back to me so perhaps there is another address on the site somewhere? I didn't see one...

By the way Dodgy, I just got sasquatch back. I bought it and another seat of Lightwave for under $500. I couldn't pass it up.

retinajoy
06-02-2005, 02:49 AM
By the way Dodgy, I just got sasquatch back. I bought it and another seat of Lightwave for under $500. I couldn't pass it up.

The correct email can be found here: http://www.ephere.com/index.php?dest=info

Don't want to list the email directly here because of the spambots.

lardbros
06-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Maya hair/fur only comes with unlimited ... $7000
XSI hair only comes in Advanced .... $7000
3dsmax... shave and hair cut only on subscription .....$3500
Cinema 4d.... No hair.. Have to buy shave and a hair cut: $400

saslite....free
sasquatch...$500

As you can see that's still quite competitive. Even stand alone shave is $400, and I'm not sure that's a good deal. I used shave on LW and found it to be flakey at best. I would hope it has got better (That's what XSI Advanced uses after all).

Oh very true... :o We are still lucky, but it would be nice for a more fully featured version of sasquatch. Its VERY cut down, and more like a free trial than an extremely usable feature. (although, i have used it to get some nice things, so maybe i'm just moaning for the sake of it?).

Sorry, i guess i went into rant mode. I am almost 80% certain that Worley and his gang will be working on a new sasquatch for LW, that'll definitely be one to buy!
The reason i'm holding out and not buying the full sasquatch is because it is reasonably old now.

Gui Lo
06-02-2005, 09:43 AM
I think Saslite does some stuff very well but when it comes to changing the look you have some difficulties going far from the defaults.

When a feature of the app is that it has built in hair and fur capability it needs to be able to do just that to a professional level, since LW is advertised as professional.

retinajoy
06-02-2005, 09:52 AM

I got a reply from him to my email. He seems interested and thinks that Lightwave would be a good platform to develop for, though they have a lot on their plate at the moment, but maybe sometime in the future they may do so.

I hope they do get around to developing it sometime in the future, as it would be another good option for us Lightwave users.

Dodgy
06-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Congrats HRGiger :)

Yeah, choice is always good, and that hair system does look very nice.

hrgiger
06-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Sorry, i guess i went into rant mode. I am almost 80% certain that Worley and his gang will be working on a new sasquatch for LW, that'll definitely be one to buy!
The reason i'm holding out and not buying the full sasquatch is because it is reasonably old now.

Don't let it's age fool you, Sasquatch is still a great program. Once you use Sasquatch, only then do you realize how limiting (and in my opinion worthless) saslite is.
I hope for a update to Sasquatch but I just got an email from Worley saying that it wouldn't be anytime soon. But that still leaves it completely open to interpretation. 6 months away isn't anytime soon. So is 2 years. Who knows?

It just needs to be a very small update in my opinion. It's a pixel filter. I think they really need to instance geometry (or another volumetric medium) which of course would solve the no reflections issue and several others.

EDIT: By the way, I wrote Worley to ask about a Sas 2 because I was just about to buy sasquatch again and did not want to buy it and then 2 months later, a new version of Sasquatch comes out and then I have to buy it again. Here was their response:

"Hi Steve,

The next generation of Sasquatch is most likely going to be a paid upgrade
for current Sasquatch owners....but there's no danger of it being released
any time soon. :~)

-Worley Labs"

Well, at least it seems like they are planning on another version anyway.... :)