PDA

View Full Version : smoothing groups of polygons?

malikai666
04-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Is there a way to smooth out lumpy parts of a model.
for instance I am working on my second human head model, wich is much better than my ist I must say. but where the jaw and ear and side of the head meet I have some bumpy parts where I didnt line up my polys right or where they were facing in slightly different directions. Ive tried to go in individualy to smooth out the points and pollys but as Im sure you know is harder than it seems. so is there a way to select all the pollys in that area and have them smooth over?

wizlon
04-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Try a smooth shift with no ofset, then merge points.

toby
04-24-2003, 10:50 AM
are you modeling with Sub-patches?

malikai666
04-24-2003, 12:29 PM
here are some pics of what Im talking about

malikai666
04-24-2003, 12:30 PM
its the part by the ear where its all lumpy

eblu
04-24-2003, 02:28 PM
get rid of some of those polys.
too many polys on the jawline between the ear and the mouth.
chances are that with a few techiques you can just eliminate the wrinkles by eliminating the polys.

now i know 3 point polys aren't exactly good for subpatching, but lets face it... done right, they work. and even if you dont want triangles, you dont need a grid of polys. try selecting the whole offending area, deleting the polys, creating one giant poly from the hole thats left and smooth shift that, creating 4 point polys in the shape of the hollow behind the cheek, then when you have modeled the space, you can delete the poly that you have smooth shifted, and close the hole by building 4 point polys using the points on the edge of the hole. this makes it much easier to match the shape you are trying to catch.

jasonwestmas
04-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I know from experience starting with fewer polys in subpatch mode when starting your face works better. Also consider adjusting the number of times modeler sub divides each poly in the general options dialogue box under options. I usually start at a subdivision level of 2 and then increase it if need be but that will double your poly count when you finish.

JPWestmas