PDA

View Full Version : Creating safety glass

meanlebh
04-26-2005, 06:27 PM
I am not sure if that is what it is called, but I am trying to create that glass that has the wires in it to keep it from shattering, I have it all modeled and everything, I am using 2 point polys for the wires ,but for some reason in the renders the wires do not seem to be showing, up....if anyone has had any experience creating this effect, i would really appreciate some help....i am sure that there is something really simple that I am missing, but i can't seem to figure it out....

thanks for any help.

-Brian

meanlebh
04-26-2005, 08:36 PM
hmm, alright, i moved the 2 point polys in front of the glass this time, and got them to render....do 2 point polys not show up behind transparent objects? I had never noticed this before, but it is the only thing that i can see or think of....

byte_fx
04-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Try making the glass panels as one object and the wire mesh as a second object.

In layout set the render prperties for the glass object to not cast shadows.

Try checking the 'render tranparent' flag under render options.

Lastly - unless this part has been changed - some light types won't 'shine' thru transparent items. I think the default type is the one. So try experimenting with the light type.

Once you get it to render correctly you try fiifling with stuff in case you need a specufic setup.

byte_fx

meanlebh
04-26-2005, 11:49 PM
thanks for the tips, i will give them a try and see what happens. it seem kinda strange to me that you would have to create them as two separate objects though...., afterall you can see a normal polygon behind the glass just fine...., just not a 2 point poly...

again, thanks for the reply.

-Brian

byte_fx
04-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Try checking your settings for surface - I'd go more with luminosity than diffuse in this case.

Also - check out things like edge/poly size etc. That's another reason for modeling some things as a seperate object or layer - it gives you much better control in layout.

Don't how soon it'll be but I'll try a few things out to see what else might help - I haven't done this type of glass since - well - a couple of versions ago.

byte_fx