PDA

View Full Version : Particle effects hang my system up and is compleatly useless.

eadint
04-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Recently ive noticed that when i create a simple emitter and set the attributes the system compleatly hangs up and wont work anymore it takes about 30 minuts to calculate a particle system. then if i change even one variable the system hangs up for another half an hour. at this point its starting to look like any kind of particle effects in LW is impossible. has anyone else run into this problem and is there a fix for it.

toby
04-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Your whole system hangs? You're not using OS9 I hope! :p It's not unusual for particles to take a while if there's a lot of them, how many are you using?

meanlebh
04-27-2005, 10:27 AM
i haven't had this particular problem with particles, but i do get full system crashes every now and then when using lightwave, i haven't quite figured a patern to it yet...lightwave is the only application that i have ever had crash my computer ever since osx was first introduced....kinda weird....

Darth Mole
04-27-2005, 11:15 AM
I've certainly found ParticleFX to be a sure-fire (if unpredictable) LW killer. I also noticed that when adding a Wind object, sometimes I can't select it or move it - anyone else had this problem?

eadint
04-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Your whole system hangs? You're not using OS9 I hope! :p It's not unusual for particles to take a while if there's a lot of them, how many are you using?

the current model i am using has 26 particles.

Darth Mole
04-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Woah! 26!? Are you crazy? You could melt your whole machine doing mad stuff like that...

toby
04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
the current model i am using has 26 particles.

I don't understand, the *model* has 26 particles? You mean 26 particles coming out of an emitter, or 26 emitters coming from the points in your model?

In any case, if you have more than like 5,000 particles it's normal for it to be dog slow. If it is only 26 particles that's a problem, I would try a fresh new scene without collision to see if it works - and if you're still using OS9 then god help you! It's pretty bad with Lightwave.

Ge4-ce
04-28-2005, 05:34 AM
I never had problems with particles and LW using OS X and LW 8.2

I keep the number of particles as low as can be.

Try to open some of the scenes in the content directory, and see if those scenes crash your LW as well...

Be carfull with .mdd files for saving motions. I do have had some bad experiences using those. LW crashes sometimes when you recalculate a motion and forgot to clear the motion. LW also has trouble finding the .mdd file when reopening a scene the next day. I always reload the .Mdd file manually.

What kind of an emitter are you using? If you apply an emitter on an object for example, a very complex object can help you crash LW.