PDA

View Full Version : Webcasting on TriCaster

bkesting
04-26-2005, 04:32 PM
I am currently looking at purcashing a TriCaster system. I am wondering about specific details on its ability to stream over the web. Does anyone know if there are certain bandwidth requirements that this box requires? How much bandwidth is used per video stream?

Thanks for any information you can share.

ted
04-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Don't hold me to this, but I heard any DSL speed would work. Of course, I would think it depends on how many people are viewing???
NewTek???

I did see how easy it was to do though. Click on the button and it gives you an address to have your viewers watch. Way simple!!!

John Perkins
04-27-2005, 07:01 AM
it depends on the compression settings. This goes for any streaming solution, not just TriCaster.

If you want to go to an Intranet (in house, ethernet LAN) then you can get 10 people without much to worry about. There is enough bandwidth to go around.

If you are broadcasting outside the building, for example, a church with a DSL line, you will want a server at your ISP to handle the load.

For one thing, most DSL or cable connections change their address randomly. Not good for your audience trying to find you. Another is that DSL and cable have great download speeds, but severely limited upload speeds. Usually 128k, 256k, or 384k upload speeds. Just enough for one or two video streams.

It's easiest to think of the webserver at the ISP as a distribution amp. You tell the server, not the audience where your TriCaster is and let it redistribute that to the whole audience.

The viewers will go to your homepage and simply click on a button to stream to them. All the magic happens behind the scenes.

When you choose your compression settings, you have to think about a few variables specific to your audience and location.

1. What is your upload speed to the server? If you have a 128k upload speed, you can't stream at 300k. It needs to be less than your upload speed.

2. What is your target audiences download speed? If the average person in the area has a bad connection, lower the streams kbits per second. If the audience is mainly located in offices with huge fast networks, raise the compression and get a cleaner stream.

It isn't as confusing as some of the streaming companies would have you believe, especially with the TriCaster handling the front end.

bkesting
04-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Good information.....very good information. I appreciate it.