PDA

View Full Version : Does the Linux MAC LWSN from 7.5b work?

HowardM
04-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Finally got our screamernet working on our MAC network and was wondering if we could get our LINUX boxes working?
Even though the MAC 7.5b upgrade was screwed, will the linux LWSN still work if we try it?
Otherwise, how can we get our Linux boxes working with our Macs?

Thanks!

wapangy
04-24-2003, 07:30 PM
When I tried it, the linux nodes would not show up in the network rendering window at all, I don't think NewTek even tested the linux nodes on mac at all.

You can try the -3 mode by them selves, but even that can be tricky.

Ade
04-25-2003, 02:07 AM
wat linux for ppc u using?

wapangy
04-25-2003, 07:42 AM
not on ppc, redhat on athlon

HowardM
04-25-2003, 11:59 AM
after hours and hours we got linux lwsn to see the MAC, and vice versa...and even got screamernet to recognize the linux node...but of course once I hit render the linux node just rifles thru and doesnt render a thing!...and we even made a separate config file for linux!
I seriously doubt Newtek tested the Linux LWSN with a MAC!
its impossible to get both to understand correct naming conventions...
im pretty damn pissed after wasting a day with 2 IT guys...getting it to almost work, and then nothing!

Thanks alot NT!
:(

Hiraghm
04-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Howard, are you sure it didn't render anything, or maybe it put the renderings somewhere obscure?

First time I tried a render with normal screamernet, I couldn't find the file it had supposedly rendered, either.

HowardM
04-25-2003, 04:26 PM
yeah im sure...the linux node would just start rendering 2 segments (which means it didnt read the correct PREF files from the MAC, nor when we set prefs on the linux box), then it flys thru each frame, not rendering anything, and finally saves no where....

so weve decided to go with an all MAC render farm....crazy eh?!

bool
04-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Try this tutorial. It works for Windows, but it could be adapted to work for Mac as well.

http://lwbeginner.hypermart.net/lwsnlinux.html

bool
04-28-2003, 11:44 AM
One quick question:

What does a shared directory structure look like on Mac? For example, with Windows, you would map a directory and it looks like a drive. (ie. C:\LightWave mapped to Z:\ then Z:\ becomes that directory)

-Bool

wapangy
04-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by bool
One quick question:

What does a shared directory structure look like on Mac? For example, with Windows, you would map a directory and it looks like a drive. (ie. C:\LightWave mapped to Z:\ then Z:\ becomes that directory)

-Bool

On OSX all the volumes are in /volumes/ like this...

/volumes/nameofthevolume/

bool
04-28-2003, 09:37 PM
That seems like it should be easy then! You should be able to simply re-create the directory structure on Linux as it is in Mac (in theory). However, I have never used the Mac version of LW, so I can't be too sure of that.

I've put up a tutorial (location earlier in this thread) that works for Windows, but you might have to edit the watch.sh script where the line looks something like this:
sed s/$MAP\:\\\\// tmp > job.1

to look more like this:
sed s/\\/*$MAP\\/// tmp > job.1

Where $MAP is actually the base shared directory. Make sure to set your content directory with the '-d' switch. But if you get everything working, don't expect to get surface smoothing to work. If you do, let me know! :-D

Hope that helps!

-Bool

wapangy
04-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Yeah whats up with no surface smoothing anyway? I never understood that one.

By the way, one of the troubles is that

windows uses \
OS X uses /
but LightWave for OS X uses :
(which is the old OS 9 style)

for directories

Crazy World

Ade
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Mandrake 9.1 is out for PPC, and YDL is out in a few days... Anyone got any info to share about which is better?

bool
04-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by wapangy

By the way, one of the troubles is that

windows uses \
OS X uses /
but LightWave for OS X uses :
(which is the old OS 9 style)

for directories

Crazy World

Well, one of the cool things about mounting a directory (at least using SMB) is that when you mount it, it should take on the charactaristics of that type of OS. So, technically, the '\\' should work in Linux in that mounted directory structure...

-Bool