PDA

View Full Version : Relative path to textures

Marcia
04-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Is there a way to get LW to save an object so that there is a relative path to the textures used on that object, rather than an absolute path?

Folder: Project name

LW object name
Sub-folder: Textures

Texture name
Texture name

I want to be able to move the main folder with the subfolder inside and have the object keeps its link to the textures in that folder. Is this possible?

Scazzino
04-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you place your texture folder inside a folder named "Images" inside your current content folder. Here's some more information about the proper use of the content directory...

http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#contentDir

You may use subfolders inside the special "Images", "Objects" and "Scenes" subfolders, but those folders must be in the top level of the Content folder for relative paths to work...

-MikeS

Marcia
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh... wait! So I can change the content directory for the project to the folder its saved in, then move the folder? ...as opposed to using the default content directory on my internal hard drive? Hmmm...

I think I'm using a non-LW-standard workflow...

Dodgy
04-26-2005, 03:51 PM
The path is saved using the current content directory in lw.

The content directory is a 'root' which can be chopped and changed as you see fit, even while editing a scene. If you load it in with one content dir set, then change it in layout/modeler, it'll use this as the new base for content. So for intance you might have an object which is part of a larger project, but you might want to move it somewhere else. You load it in under that project's content dir, then change the content dir to the directory holding all the object's images/objects and save the scene and objects again. Then you can move the directory and lightwave will still be able to find everything.

It helps if you have standards to your directory such as an Images and objects directory, because if lightwave can't find something by path, it looks in the relevant directory ('Images' for images etc...)

Dodgy
04-26-2005, 03:54 PM
The path is saved using the current content directory in lw.

The content directory is a 'root' which can be chopped and changed as you see fit, even while editing a scene. If you load it in with one content dir set, then change it in layout/modeler, it'll use this as the new base for content when you save it. So for instance you might have an object which is part of a larger project, but you might want to move it somewhere else. You load it in under that project's content dir, then change the content dir to the directory holding all the object's images/objects and save the scene and objects again. Then you can move the directory and lightwave will still be able to find everything.

It helps if you have standards to your directory such as an Images and objects directory, because if lightwave can't find something by path, it looks in the relevant directory ('Images' for images etc...)

Marcia
04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Great explanation--thanks! I think I can work with that. :)