PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to lock mapping to a mesh without using uv's?

sammael
04-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to lock planar & cubic maps into position on the mesh so that when you move it around the textures dont move?

I know thats what uv's are for but for what i am doing it would take a long time to get the right scaling with a uv map. Its prety annoying having to redo mapping after you move/rotate objects and extremely dificult with unaccurate results in some cases.

maxxwv
04-26-2005, 09:59 AM
The behaviour you'r describing only happens in Modeler - in Layout, you have to specifcally "unlock" the textures by selecting "Use World Coordinates" in the Surface Editor. As far as I know, the only way to stop the maps moving in modeler is to use UV's. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope...) You could always rotate and move your object in modeler before texturing, then use Texture Guide to interactively place the textures, or just move the pieces in Layout if that route is a possiblity.

SplineGod
04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
If youre creating and adjusting UVs the place to do it is in modeler. If youre using the standard projections the best thing to do is setup the surfaces in modeler but apply the actual textures in layout.

sammael
04-27-2005, 12:43 AM
maxxwv, SplineGod thanks for the help... Unfortunantly none of this solves my problem, what i am trying to do is place buildings on a landscape mesh whilst at the same time modifying the landscape around the buildings so they sit nicely on the mesh.
I need to save the buildings seperately to the landscape and in the correct positions for optomisation in a realtime environjment. Seems like there is no easy soultion, ill just have to place the buildings in modeler to modify the landscape,position them again in layout and then save transformed...

It seems prety stupid realy, i cant think of any situation where you want your textures to float around on the mesh i hope they fix this in lw 8.5 or whatever comes next its very inconvenient. Ill look into texture guides as well.

gromit
04-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Hmmm... I have an idea: modeller plugin that 'bakes' non-uv texturing coordinates to uv's. This could be a real timesaver in many occasions.

nickej
04-28-2005, 12:47 AM
You could try setting a null as a texture reference object, and then making the null a child of your main object. That would allow you to move the texture around, but still have it follow the main object. It's an old, pre-UV technique, but may work for you.