PDA

View Full Version : Layout viewport questions

seoulman
04-26-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm not an expert either. I use LW less frequently then I like because of the fast paced production of the work we do, limits how deep I get to play inside LW, so this may be something everyone but me knows the answer to.

When in Layout and trying to set the camera close to an object(s), the object "disappears" in the viewport and you have to F9 to check on how close you are. If the object is in out of frame, etc, you have to adjust, then hit F9 again. There seems to be a threshold of how close you can get to an object in layout before the polygons vanish although they're still in front of the camera. Is there a setting for this?

Secondly, I was working on a scene in which, somehow or another, the icons for the camera and lights were really small or extremely large when working in the viewports making them hard to click on. I've been in other 3D programs where you can adjust this, sometimes by alt-clicking on the camera or light and dragging, increasing the size of it (not affecting it's properties, just making it easier to see positioning). Is this possible in lightwave?

Thanks,

evenflcw
04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
With the Fixed Near Clip Distance in Diplay Options you can adjust the camera clipping. And with Grid Square Size in the same window or through hotkeys you can adjust the size of the grid which also sizes the nulls, lights and cameras.

seoulman
04-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Doh! Thanks

Elmar Moelzer
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
The grid- size will not only affect the display, but also how much an object is moved by the move- tool. The larger the grid- size the faster it will move.
I always use the [ and ] keys to adjust the grid- size.
I increase and decrease the gridsize using the shortcuts then do the fine- adjustment with the zooming...
That way I always have a nice amount of movement compared to the distance I move my mouse, no matter how far I "zoom" out of the scene.
Hope that helps
CU
Elmar

Chris S. (Fez)
04-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Nice tip! Thanks Elmar.

seoulman
05-24-2005, 12:22 PM
thanks Elmar, you actually answered another question I had (on moving objects in finer increments)

:D