PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.2.1 a UPS and an annoying beep?

doc debolt
04-25-2005, 02:30 PM
ok, this has got to be one of the wierdest things i have ever come across....

Running LW 8.2.1 on a dual xeon HT 3.2 Ghz dell, with an APC UPS....

when i go to render certain scenes that i have set up, it causes my UPS alarm to go off and on throughtout the render.......which on one frame is tolerable.....but on a scene of 100 frames or more, it is kind of like the chinese water torture, fingernails on a chalkboard, etc.....

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? or better yet, anyone ahve a fix for this???

i am running the latest sentinel drivers as well.....

Doc :confused:

robewil
04-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Go to Render Options, turn off "Frame End Beep".

Whenever you update Lightwave, this, by default, gets turned on. I agree it is annoying.

doc debolt
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
yah, that one i know, that is the computer beeping......however what i was referring to was my UPS going off like a tornado siren during renders....

have diagnosed it this far though.......

apparently when i switch up to 4+ threads on LW and start the render, it slams the processors to 100%, which in turn makes my computer need more juice, which in turn is setting off the UPS overload alarm, letting me know that the darn computer is drawing too much juice......

strange thing is, ive got multiple other programs that use 100% of the processor, but they dont throw the UPS into that warning mode.....

anyway.... problem solved....kinda

kris

Realimagesvideo
04-26-2005, 10:22 PM
yah, that one i know, that is the computer beeping......however what i was referring to was my UPS going off like a tornado siren during renders....

have diagnosed it this far though.......

apparently when i switch up to 4+ threads on LW and start the render, it slams the processors to 100%, which in turn makes my computer need more juice, which in turn is setting off the UPS overload alarm, letting me know that the darn computer is drawing too much juice......

strange thing is, ive got multiple other programs that use 100% of the processor, but they dont throw the UPS into that warning mode.....

anyway.... problem solved....kinda

kris

What size UPS are you using? Does the computer control the UPS through the USB connection?