PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Produces First 64-bit 3D Animation for Microsoft

Kurtis
04-25-2005, 11:35 AM
NewTek Produces First 64-bit 3D Animation for the Microsoft Launch of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Bill Gates keynote features LightWaveŽ 64 animation.

NewTek is pleased to announce today the creation of the first 3D animation modeled, animated and rendered entirely in a native Windows 64-bit environment. Using Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and the beta version of LightWaveŽ 64 on a 64-bit AMD Opteron(TM) with 32GB of RAM, Rob Powers, lead creature animator on James Cameron's "Aliens of the Deep" created an extremely rich and beautifully textured undersea environment with hundreds of complex sea creatures which was featured in the Bill Gates keynote address at Microsoft Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) 2005.

For the complete text of the press release please visit:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-25-05a.html

kcole
04-25-2005, 12:07 PM
The final rendered animations which showcase a comparison between 32-Bit and 64-Bit can be viewed at www.newtek.com
Where are they?

Chuck
04-25-2005, 12:20 PM
They'll be available later in the week, after they have premiered at WinHEC.

caesar
04-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Where are they?

I WANT I T NOW !!!!!

Earl
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Cool! 32 GBs of RAM? Does that RAM ship with the 64-bit version of LightWave? :D

Fausto
04-26-2005, 04:16 AM
I wonder why they didn't use the full 128 gigabytes (GB) of ram? Perhaps they're not into grandstanding.. Imagine, 16 terabytes (TB) of virtual memory!

jorbedo
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Any news about the animation?

Thanks

WizCraker
04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey Chuck nice to here the news. Anyway to get a clip of it being showcased on the Newtek website or ftp site?

Chuck
04-29-2005, 08:10 AM
The staf is working on getting things ready to add links to the press release page for the still and animations from WinHEC - we'll try to have that up today.

dalecampbelljr
04-29-2005, 08:22 AM
The staf is working on getting things ready to add links to the press release page for the still and animations from WinHEC - we'll try to have that up today.

AWESOME! I can't wait.

Chuck
04-29-2005, 10:26 AM
The wait is over! :)

The animations and stills are now linked in the press release:

NewTek Produces First 64-bit Animation for Microsoft WinHEC Keynote (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-25-05a.html)

monovich
04-29-2005, 10:52 AM
ugh.

can't open those files on my win2k or mac.

-s

Lukesutherland
04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
did you save the files to your hard drive first?

hairy_llama
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Those two render "comparing" 64bit vs. 32bit show nothing. We need rendertimes of the exact same scene on both systems to know anything. The 32/64 videos just look like they removed a couple of textures from the 32bit version. For all I know they were both rendered on the same system. This is good for comsumers with no understanding of computers to be "wowed" by. I think its great Newtek is supporting 64bit but i'd love to see something showing its new powers. I'd like to know if a standard scene that is using around 500 megs ram
with a 64bit system and a 32bit system that each have 1 gig/ram installed will render at differant speeds. Anyone know?

Chuck
04-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Actually the most notable difference between the two scenes is the number of creatures - max of 14 was possible in the scene on the 32-bit platform, and over one hundred in the scene on 64-bit. To me that seemed considerably more noticeable than any change in textures. Maybe that's just me, though... ;)

wacom
04-29-2005, 12:07 PM
I know I'm way off here...but wouldn't instancing (and I mean TRUE instancing) let you do the same thing? Or could you not do to the refraction etc.? Just a thought/question.

hairy_llama
04-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks Chuck. That is interesting. But without knowing that it was IMPOSSIBLE to have that many creatures on the 32bit scene it really does not tell much. :)
You did not refute my comment about rendertimes, I assume that the exact same scene will not render faster? Allthough with faster ram access I would think the 64bit version "could" also render faster, that is if the CPU is faster than the ram throughput, my 3ghz does not appear to be... correct me if i'm wrong on anything here...

Wade
04-29-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx

hairy_llama

it's worth a look the 25th min 25.30 - on.

Lukesutherland
04-29-2005, 02:52 PM
thanks but no thanks :)
1.hour 43 mins of Bill
sounds like hard work

Chuck
04-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks Chuck. That is interesting. But without knowing that it was IMPOSSIBLE to have that many creatures on the 32bit scene it really does not tell much. :)

You did not refute my comment about rendertimes, I assume that the exact same scene will not render faster? Allthough with faster ram access I would think the 64bit version "could" also render faster, that is if the CPU is faster than the ram throughput, my 3ghz does not appear to be... correct me if i'm wrong on anything here...

Apologies if I've made you feel like I'm trying to "refute" your comments - I was simply trying to answer your questions about the project. What this project was illustrating was the difference in scale in scene handling that is available with a 64-bit platform versus a 32-bit platform. As an illustration or proof-of-concept it serves the purpose. Though this particular example, since it uses duplicated identical models as a way of showing the scale difference, may actually be a case where there is a way on 32-bit systems to achieve what looks like the 64-bit result, such as either using instancing, or creating multiple scenes and then compositing them to create the final shot, the fact of the matter is that it is successfully illustrating a scale difference that allows for a different, more efficient workflow in 64-bit.

I don't know what the render times were, but if the rendering of the 14-creature scene on a 32-bit system is compared to the rendering of a 100-creature scene on a 64-bit system, then the comparison needs to take into account a whole bunch of variables in order to arrive at a proper evaluation of the comparison. You are correct that rendering identical scenes will let you know how the CPU/system performances compare on the two types of system.

However, the improved performance is only one aspect of why the new 64-bit processors and systems are going to be important tools for high-end animation and visual effects. The change of scale and the attendant change of workflow and capability are the important factors about the system. Reports from the field are that 32-bit LightWave renders a bit faster on the 64-bit platform and OS in at least some situations than on 32-bit OS/platform, with the 64-bit LightWave showing still more performance increase. So that's nice news if you are wondering about rendering speed, but adding the capability of working on a greater scale is what you need to consider in order to round out your picture of the implications.

On a 64-bit platform the artist can create far more complex scenes than a 32-bit system could handle and yet still be able to render in a single pass. The most massively complex scenes that might require dozens of rendering passes on a 32-bit system would only require a few passes on a 64-bit platform. Animation and visual effects projects can consider a scale of detail and complexity that formerly would not have been possible, even on blockbuster theatrical film budgets.

robpowers3d
04-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Remember, that we are at the beginning of the hardware curve for 64-bit systems. The comparison was on a 32-bit system fully maxed out. But the 64-bit system was no where near its potential. Just the ability to work with these larger amounts of RAM will justify a shift in the way we do things. But add to that the increased speed from optimized 64-bit code. Then the benefits will become more apparent.

robpowers3d
04-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Chuck,

That's exactly right. It wouldn't be possible to even load the 64-bit scene on a 32-bit system. Also, as far as instancing, that would not give the same effect of the 64-bit scene because I had custom animation on all of the aliens. Another thing to realize is that there were also multiple layers of transparency, refraction, and reflection going on. With fog, volumetric lights, area lights, ray traced shadows, particles with HV, and Creature on top of creature all in one render pass.

Chuck
04-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the additional info, Rob! And go answer your emails, so I can finish up that profile!! ;)

Exception
04-29-2005, 04:03 PM
So, when is it scheduled for release?

WizCraker
04-30-2005, 04:54 PM
So, when is it scheduled for release?

Isn't that obvious when Rob answers his emails. :)

kcole
04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm excited at the prospect of LW 64 for many reasons, and I realize how difficult it is to put together a demo that's impressive for the masses and at the same time is impressive for the industry experts. Most of the demo was a great stab at hitting both marks. As others have mentioned, the one thing I thought was out of place and a bit fake was the comparison of interfaces, with 32-bit in flat shaded mode and 64-bit in open GL textured mode. Not good, but I can overlook it. :)

Why can I overlook it? Because Newtek is giving away LW64 to registered owners of LW32. Most impressive, extremely kick-***, and the single best reason I am strongly considering making the move to a 64-bit OS. :D

Gui Lo
04-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Why can I overlook it? Because Newtek is giving away LW64 to registered owners of LW32. Most impressive, extremely kick-***, and the single best reason I am strongly considering making the move to a 64-bit OS

Yes, all the fuss smacks of looking a gift horse in the mouth. It obviously has benefits to a substantial portion of the LW community now and us all in the near future. I can leave it on my shelf untill I have a system that takes advantage.

All good! :p

Fausto
04-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Chuck,

That's exactly right. It wouldn't be possible to even load the 64-bit scene on a 32-bit system. Also, as far as instancing, that would not give the same effect of the 64-bit scene because I had custom animation on all of the aliens. Another thing to realize is that there were also multiple layers of transparency, refraction, and reflection going on. With fog, volumetric lights, area lights, ray traced shadows, particles with HV, and Creature on top of creature all in one render pass.

Rob, those creatures are incredible, the streaming version of the animation doesn't do it justice, the download version that's been made available by Newtek shows off the piece much better. Kudos to you for its creation, the creatures, texture, the caustics in the water, the tiny particles of debris, and the beautiful flow of the water wings, excellent work. VERY NICE!

UnCommonGrafx
04-30-2005, 11:17 PM
I've watched the video. Where does it talk about LW? I hear him talking about an 'uber-app' but I can't say I heard him say either LW or NewTek...

Rob, the little creatures could be addictive to look at. The anim, though highly compressed, was quite beautiful.

Lewis
05-01-2005, 10:34 AM
I've watched the video. Where does it talk about LW? I hear him talking about an 'uber-app' but I can't say I heard him say either LW or NewTek...

Rob, the little creatures could be addictive to look at. The anim, though highly compressed, was quite beautiful.

Hi !

If you are asking where Bill Gates mention LW try to watch video from 25th april (not 27th) and ffw to 26 minutes. There Bill says that we will now see demonstration of NewTek's LightWave 3D in 64bit vs 32bit and it does start ;).

UnCommonGrafx
05-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Woah!

They said NewTek and LightWave... Has anyone made that into a LW commercial, yet? My goodness, that's some nice press.