PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Previews Innovative New Low-Cost 3D Animation System

Kurtis
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
NewTek Previews Innovative New Low-Cost 3D Animation System.

Maker of LightWave 3D brings next-generation graphics toolset to graphics, illustration and design community.

NewTek today previewed a new, easy to use 3D product - Inspire 3D(TM).
Specifically designed for non-traditional 3D markets such as print, graphic design, education, video and web creation, Inspire 3D is built atop the LightWave 3D engine, production-proven in thousands of feature films, television shows, commercials and video games, as well as dozens of newspaper and magazine graphics departments.

For the complete text of the press release please visit:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-25-05b.html

spec24
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
uh... didn't Inspire3D already crash and burn a few years back?

TheDynamo
04-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Perhaps this is an "inspired" release of Inspire3D with 64bit support. :)

-Dyn

Chuck
04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
We had a successful entry-level product called Inspire 3D for several years, retired that some years ago, and are reviving the name for a new product, as described in the press release.

trick
04-25-2005, 12:23 PM
"Inspire 3D takes maximum advantage of capabilities in the latest generation graphics cards, CPUs and operating systems to provide immediate interactive feedback"

Does this also mean Inspire 3D will use all OpenGL and speed features present in current NVidia Quadro FX cards ? Lightwave surely does not !

cresshead
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
brilliant idea!

inspire [the old one] was a ace 3d app that go me "into" 3d..love to see a similar thing back up n running great news!...will be a sort of cut down version i surpose of the full lightwave 8.x....sort of like how maya complete is a cutdown version of maya unlimited and xsi foundation is a cutdown version of xsi advanced.....but MUCH cheaper!....i'd imagine there'll be limits on the animation side of things as it's made for print and some web work...but hey...$195 is very cheap! :)

Earl
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
For the suggested price it sounds promising. I know of a few people in the graphic arts field who have expressed interest in learning LightWave and 3d animation, but who haven't found the time (or $1500 budget) to dive head first into LW. I guess we'll have to reserve judgement until its release. ;)

Para
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
"Inspire 3D takes maximum advantage of capabilities in the latest generation graphics cards, CPUs and operating systems to provide immediate interactive feedback"

Does this also mean Inspire 3D will use all OpenGL and speed features present in current NVidia Quadro FX cards ? Lightwave surely does not !

Quadro FX? Those are years old already, where you've been hiding? :)

...whatever. I hope that you're correct AND that there's also some GPU rendering stuff in there too.

trick
04-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Quadro FX? Those are years old already, where you've been hiding? :)

...whatever. I hope that you're correct AND that there's also some GPU rendering stuff in there too.

I hope you're kiddin', the latest NVidia card is the Quadro FX4400 and makes a whole world of difference in MAX, Maya or XSI. But not in Lightwave...

WilliamVaughan
04-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Every Review of the old Inspire was great...I see the same thing happening again....I welcome Inspire with open arms!

Kuzey
04-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Very cool indeed, good to see Newtek's back in the consumer market :D :D

So....will Inspire 3D be a one app program or still follow big sister..either is good in my book ;)

Kuzey

mattclary
04-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Awesome news! Of course, I only owned Inspire a few weeks before shelling out the cash for LightWave, I just had to have the extra functionality. :o

Karmacop
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Lucky, otherwise you'd have 3 tattoos ;)

harlan
04-25-2005, 11:16 PM
I can't forsee them offering the Lightwave Limited style of Inspire3D again; I'm sure it'll follow a different paradigm (rather than being just a scaled down version of LW). Obviously it won't offer all of the features found in LW, but I think it's going to be a fairly "different" program altogether.

should be interesting to see though.

radams
04-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi All,

I had two opposite thoughts that hit me.

1) This is great to help entry level people get into 3D and new paradigms.

But will this take away resources from LW...which needs to revamp and core change to take the next Step?

Also I hope that they will NOT bundle Inspire with VT...that would be a BIG..no no!

Please do NOT bundle inspire with VT...keep a FULL LW license PLEASE!!!!
In fact I would rather see BETTER integration like that of BOB Tasa's LWconnect.
Which helps to elevate TED to more of that like a Smoke system...but we still need better hooks and intergration!!

I wish Jay and the whole LW/inspire team Good luck on their new adventure ;)

Oh btw, WELCOME aboard Jay and congrates on the new position ;)

Cheers

Karmacop
04-26-2005, 12:34 AM
It sounds as if inspire will be wizard based for most of it, so I think development time would be just simple plugins for doing things. It would take time but not much since it's based on Lightwave, and if inspire makes a profit then it means more development for lightwave in the long term.

As far as the VT goes I'm fairly sure you don't actually own a full copy of Lightwave, though it does act like it. I think it'd be a great loss to tell every one that owns TV that they've been downgraded from what is essentially a full version of Lightwave to Inspire, but at the same time Newtek may decide that VT people would benifit from the wizards, so they may downgrade you.

I'm, actually thinking that maybe inspire was made from a lot of wizard plugins for Lightwave VT. Lightwave VT already has several wizard plugins to do logos doesn't it?

radams
04-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi KarmaCop,

Well VT has been shipping with the FULL version of LW since VT4's release.
Also with LW connect there is a direct connection between LW and TED now.
The only thing that is limited with the VT version is that many of the protected third party software don't work since they need the dongle and won't activate just with the VT card.

I hope that this limitation will be corrected soon.

Having the FULL Lightwave's power with VT for me is essential...even if you want to add additional scripts or wizards that's fine but please DO NOT drop the funtionality of the FULL version to the wizard only approach...that would NOT be good for post folks...If anything we need an expansion and more integration of the toolsets...not limiting them.

FYI, I use both LW from the VT and stand alone LW...due to the thrid party issues.

Cheers,

Karmacop
04-26-2005, 01:41 AM
I thought I remember reading that even though it is just as functional as the full lightwave, it's not seen as equivalent because you don't own a dongle (I know your VT acts as one b). This shows in upgrades (you need seperate upgrades don't you?), promotions, and as you've said 3rd party issues.

Again, I'd hate to see VT users lose Lightwave, I'm just telling you what I know.

radams
04-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Hi KarmaCop,

Yes there are seperate updates for VT LW 8 and LW 8 but that has to do more with the protection than anything with features or operations. the LW 8.* that is on VT is otherwise the same as the stand alone LW 8.*. So there is no functional or operational differences.

Cheers,

Captain Obvious
04-26-2005, 04:56 AM
I sent a beta application :D

Karmacop
04-26-2005, 08:00 AM
If you get accepted, ignore the nda and just tell us what it's like :p

CB_3D
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
A downgraded LW8.3 ?!

Kuzey
04-26-2005, 06:16 PM
It's also good opportunity for Newtek to start making thier own 3rd party plugins. Say an LW object exporter for Autocad and an LW importer/exporter for Maya.

Sell them for $300 plus each :)

That way we'll won't get all those requests to include .dxf support from Autocad users and it might help Lightwave increase it's market share ;)

Anyway....keep up the great work!!

Kuzey

byte_fx
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
When I saw the name 'Inspire' I thougt maybe I was caught in a time warp back to the days of Lightwave 5.6 or so.

This time around it seems to be better.

But - couldn't you guys come up with a new name so it isn't associated with what some people consider the stigma of the first 'Inspire'?

Just wondering.

byte_fx

Silkrooster
04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I see this as a program aimed at those that want to test the LW waters, learn the basic tool set, then upgrade to the full version, once they find they need more power.
It's starting to look like newtek has a whole arsenal of plans up their sleeves. I can't wait to see what's next. Keep it up Newtek :D

Karmacop
04-27-2005, 01:41 AM
It's also good opportunity for Newtek to start making thier own 3rd party plugins. Say an LW object exporter for Autocad and an LW importer/exporter for Maya.

I really really hate the idea of Newtek Plugins. They make a plugin appear as a "standard" (because Newtek has made it) while not giving it to all users. It's especially annoying when they decide to make the plugin part of the next paid upgrade of Lightwave. Do you remember Hypervoxels 2? People paid $300 for it, and a lot of people did, not because they needed it but because it was cool and made by Newtek. This made a gap between those who had Lightwave and those who had a "fuller" lightwave. People were annoyed that theyhad to pay for a new feature too. Then when LW6 came out the people that had bought HV2 were annoyed that they didn't get a discount on buying LW6 because they already had HV2.

In my oppinion it just creates a lot of bad feelings, and it'd be in Newtek's best interest to just make it a standard part of Lightwave.

Chuck
04-27-2005, 08:44 AM
With the HV situation you describe, the fact is that we made it clear that folks had the option of purchasing now if they needed it, or waiting and having it come with the next update at no additional charge. We also stated clearly that there would be no discount on the update if the user purchased HV - the only reason to purchase it was if you could recoup the costs by using it in your business. Everything was all clearly communicated, most people were comfortable with it and some were not. There were folks who felt as you describe, and also many who bought the plug-in, made money with it, and were satisfied with the situation.

Karmacop
04-27-2005, 09:08 AM
I know, I just think it's ... I don't know. If you make something for lightwave, then I think it should be included as part of Lightwave. If you take Lightwave's profit to work on a different product, like the VT, I see no problem with that. However, if you use that profit to make a new product that could very well be part of Lightwave (say hypervoxels for example) then I see that as wrong. Splitting up "extra features" is then just a money making scheme and gives nothing to the user. Hopefully Newtek wont do this as so far they seem to be all about the user.

As far as hypervoxels 2 went, I guess it wasn't too bad, as the feature was added in the next paid upgrade. Of course it would have made a really awsome free upgrade, but it was inbetween 5.6 and 6 where there probably wasn't much money coming in. I would however be annoyed if Newtek made Lightwave "modules" or didn't add a "paid feature" to the base package in the next upgrade.

To me, Lightwave is a community. I help out the community because I like it. If Newtek did something in my eyes to ruin the community then I'd be less likely.

Sorry for the rant everyone :o

hesido
04-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I wished they used Lightwave name in it somewhere instead of inspire. Such a cheap and capable product would be a good advertisement to lightwave brandname. It would be an ultra cheap edition of Lightwave instead of a different product, but with a product name clearly to indicate it does not carry full lightwave features while not undermining the features it already has.

I am no marketing expert tho! Indeed you may have a good reason for calling it Inspire3D if its functionality is of course "real" different.

KillMe
04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
seems to me that it will be quite different from lightwave with a simplfied interface - so probally wont resemble lightwave - at least tahts how i took afew comments about it being built ontop of the lightwave core

also if you split it and called in lightwave complete or something hmm i dont know i like teh fact that lightwave ther eis one version and you get everything with it no bits left out etc etc

Kuzey
04-27-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't see a problem with Newtek third party plugins, especially if it's only for Autocad and Maya. It's a better idea if Newtek makes an LW exporter for Autocad rather than making a built in .dxf importer for LW. For one thing .dxf format is outdated, it will most likely break in the next update of Autocad anyway and there's so just many versions of .dxf to begin with.

If a studio is going to buy a commercial 3d convertor to do the job, why not have them buy a Newtek exporter/importer that will do a better job than any on the market.

Hey Chuck, have you been getting my emails :D

Kuzey

Karmacop
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Well that's a bit of a grey area. Making it an exporter for another program is kind of a new product, but since you'd only use it with lightwave then it's kind of a Lightwave product. Personally, I'd prefer them to just come with Lightwave as they are replacing importing.

Also, even though it's an interesting way to get around importing problems, usually a client will send you a file in .dxf, in which case the autocad exporter is useless. If you did have the autocad exporter you couldn't just send it to them either, as that'd be piracy. So although it's a good idea, it's probably less usable (on average) than just updating the importer.

Captain Obvious
04-28-2005, 04:25 AM
I think it's a fairly good idea if NT sold or gave away plugins in order to test if people really want it. If it's popular, add it to the next paid upgrade. If nobody wants it, either scrap it or keep selling it separately or something.

But I kind of agree with whoever said that one of Lightwave's strengths is the community. If NewTek starts pissing off the users, they'll lose their main source of advertisment (in my experience, Lightwave users tend to recomend Lightwave to people looking for an application more vocally than, say, 3DSM users recomend 3DSM).

Chuck
04-28-2005, 09:33 AM
I know, I just think it's ... I don't know. If you make something for lightwave, then I think it should be included as part of Lightwave. If you take Lightwave's profit to work on a different product, like the VT, I see no problem with that. However, if you use that profit to make a new product that could very well be part of Lightwave (say hypervoxels for example) then I see that as wrong. Splitting up "extra features" is then just a money making scheme and gives nothing to the user. Hopefully Newtek wont do this as so far they seem to be all about the user.

As far as hypervoxels 2 went, I guess it wasn't too bad, as the feature was added in the next paid upgrade. Of course it would have made a really awsome free upgrade, but it was in between 5.6 and 6 where there probably wasn't much money coming in. I would however be annoyed if Newtek made Lightwave "modules" or didn't add a "paid feature" to the base package in the next upgrade.

To me, Lightwave is a community. I help out the community because I like it. If Newtek did something in my eyes to ruin the community then I'd be less likely.

Sorry for the rant everyone :o

Bear in mind, some users in the community see things very differently on the subject of lumping every bit of 3D development we do into one product instead of offering modules or levels. I've heard from a lot of folks over the years who wish we would split things up - and of course, offer the modules at some percentage of the total price of the full edition of LightWave. They feel like they have to pay for things they don't want and are never going to use, and would prefer that they didn't have to.

It's also the case that our major competitors seem to be doing well with offering levels and modules, and the thought that they are doing so doesn't seem to give anyone pause; to the contrary, as per the feedback I mention above, most folks seem to find it advantageous.

Among the considerations for launching a new product are simply that there are a lot of folks who are becoming interested in 3D but need a much less complex product than LightWave, and also would want a less expensive tool set, certainly to start off at least. It is indeed also the case that NewTek can realize a greater return on the technology we have invested in creating if it can be applied in a range of products that address a diversity of markets. That's good business, and good business really is not in conflict with caring about customers and the community. Getting the most mileage out of each technology we develop will give us the ability to expand our development activities and to support our unique policies - such as our free technical support, our growing set of training resources for users, and the fact that we repair our hardware products at no charge regardless of age and circumstances of failure.

Kuzey
04-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Well that's a bit of a grey area. Making it an exporter for another program is kind of a new product, but since you'd only use it with lightwave then it's kind of a Lightwave product. Personally, I'd prefer them to just come with Lightwave as they are replacing importing.

The idea is you give Maya the ability to import /export native LW Objects/Scenes. So there's no need to do anything on the Lightwave side since you just double click to open the file(s). IT's a good way of getting Lightwave into a production pipeline that otherwise wouldn't happen normally. The plugin could do things like importing mesh, UV maps, convert LW bones into Maya bones, animation scenes etc. etc. That way Newtek could promote LW as the best choice to use side by side with Maya, Lightwave then get's it's foot in the door in an non-lightwave environment..anything is possible from there.

Also, even though it's an interesting way to get around importing problems, usually a client will send you a file in .dxf, in which case the autocad exporter is useless. If you did have the autocad exporter you couldn't just send it to them either, as that'd be piracy. So although it's a good idea, it's probably less usable (on average) than just updating the importer.

I can't see why with a native LW Objects exporter made for Autocad there would be a need to use .dxf format. These plugins are for other apps to become more Lightwave friendly.

Kuzey

Karmacop
04-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Bear in mind, some users in the community see things very differently on the subject of lumping every bit of 3D development we do into one product instead of offering modules or levels. I've heard from a lot of folks over the years who wish we would split things up - and of course, offer the modules at some percentage of the total price of the full edition of LightWave. They feel like they have to pay for things they don't want and are never going to use, and would prefer that they didn't have to.

I know some people would prefer that, but Lightave to me has always been "everything in one package". I don't know if I've seen it marketed that way, but I've heard many people say that's what they like about it, and I'd hate to see that go. Also, I see using profit from Lightwave to create things that I feel should be part of Lightwave as "double dipping".

Among the considerations for launching a new product are simply that there are a lot of folks who are becoming interested in 3D but need a much less complex product than LightWave, and also would want a less expensive tool set, certainly to start off at least.

Hey, as far as Inspire goes, I'm very happy that you're going to sell it again and I'm excited to see what it's like. I have no problems with you using Lightwave profit/technology to create this product as it's going to be at a very different level to Lightwave. I'm not concerned about this at all.

It is indeed also the case that NewTek can realize a greater return on the technology we have invested in creating if it can be applied in a range of products that address a diversity of markets. That's good business, and good business really is not in conflict with caring about customers and the community.

I don't know about that, it depends what you mean by good business. Some of what Newtek does I would call bad business, simply because you're not making money from it, such as fixing your own hardware for free, but this is also the reason I think you're a great company and why the Newtek community is so strong. I guess in that sense it is good business.

Karmacop
04-28-2005, 08:43 PM
The idea is you give Maya the ability to import /export native LW Objects/Scenes. So there's no need to do anything on the Lightwave side since you just double click to open the file(s). IT's a good way of getting Lightwave into a production pipeline that otherwise wouldn't happen normally. The plugin could do things like importing mesh, UV maps, convert LW bones into Maya bones, animation scenes etc. etc. That way Newtek could promote LW as the best choice to use side by side with Maya, Lightwave then get's it's foot in the door in an non-lightwave environment..anything is possible from there.

This is a great idea, I'm just saying it takes the place of an importer, and I'd see a file importer as a standard part of Lightwave. The problem with this is that if you find a maya file on the internet that you want to use but you don't own maya, then this exporter for maya would be useless and you'd wish there was a .ma importer for Lightwave.

I can't see why with a native LW Objects exporter made for Autocad there would be a need to use .dxf format. These plugins are for other apps to become more Lightwave friendly.

The problem with them is that if you don't own the product (autocad) in this case then they are useless. If your client sends you a .dxf/dwg file and you don't have autocad to use the lw exporter from then you're stuffed. You also can't send the autocad exporter to your client and say "use this exporter and then send me an .lwo of your file" because that'd be piracy. If Newtek was going to do this, it'd be best to give this exporter away for free so that you could send it to your client and they could give you an lwo back. It'd also be some nice free advertising and it'd give people a reason to use LW.

So if you own autocad/maya then these lwo exporters are a great idea. If you don't own autocad/maya then these are useless.

Chuck
04-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I know some people would prefer that, but Lightave to me has always been "everything in one package". I don't know if I've seen it marketed that way, but I've heard many people say that's what they like about it, and I'd hate to see that go. Also, I see using profit from Lightwave to create things that I feel should be part of Lightwave as "double dipping".

The development of LightWave has at many times in its history been financed by revenue from other products, and was leveraged into the position where it could become a major tool used in the film and television industry by the success of the original Video Toaster. For a variety of reasons, which I won't try to go into now as I've just been informed that I'm up past tonight's curfew by someone I'm very inclined to listen to on such matters, modules, levels, add-ons etc make sense and can improve revenue substantially while offering the customers choices they can tailor to their needs. I'm not saying that's where we're going - just saying that it's worth reconsidering the position you've had on this.

Karmacop
04-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I have no problem with revenue from Lightwave financing other products, or revenue from other products financing Lightwave. I wouldn't have a problem with you selling modeler, layout and the render seperatly either as long as the cost for buying all 3 together was the same (while buying them all separately could cost more). My issue is selling something additional (such as HV2) and keeping it separate with no plans of making it part of the base package. I know this could increase your revenue, but I'd personally prefer if you didn't increase your revenue. I know I'm looking at it from a completely different view from you, and of course you'd want to increase your revenue, but this is just how I feel.

I don't think I'd ever reconsider my view on this, but I guess we'll see if I reconsider if this situation ever arises. I don't mean to anger you Chuck, this is ust my oppinion :)

Silkrooster
04-28-2005, 11:14 PM
There's one thing your forgetting. Lightwave used to be sold only with the videotoaster. Then it was made available seperate, generating revenue from those that either did not need or could not afford the videotoaster.
Silk

Nemoid
04-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Welcome back, Inspire! :cool: :)

Karmacop
04-29-2005, 12:07 AM
There's one thing your forgetting. Lightwave used to be sold only with the videotoaster. Then it was made available seperate, generating revenue from those that either did not need or could not afford the videotoaster.
Silk

As I said, there's nothing wrong with splitting up a program, and the VT still comes with Lightwave too ;)

Kuzey
04-29-2005, 04:54 AM
The problem with this is that if you find a maya file on the internet that you want to use but you don't own maya, then this exporter for maya would be useless and you'd wish there was a .ma importer for Lightwave.

Well, I guess you could have a light version just to import Maya mesh into Lightwave, but doesn't most of the flow go from Lightwave(modelling) to Maya (Animating).

The problem with them is that if you don't own the product (autocad) in this case then they are useless. If your client sends you a .dxf/dwg file and you don't have autocad to use the lw exporter from then you're stuffed. You also can't send the autocad exporter to your client and say "use this exporter and then send me an .lwo of your file" because that'd be piracy.

It's for your client to buy and use, you just get the .lwo from them instead of a .dxf/dwg file..wouldn't that make life easier.

Kuzey