PDA

View Full Version : 3d Modeller, animator, texturing, rigger, etc...

paulmcg1
04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have started a buisness and if anyone ever needs any 3d models, animations, anything textured, rigged, etc. I charge very low compared to higher up competitors and produce the same quality. Just stop by my website and contact me. Its a fairly new website as well so it is still under construction. http://www.paulmcgrade.com is the website.

So whatever you need regarding 3d, Id appreciate if you stop by and let me know.

Thanks
Paul

ericsmith
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I hate to be the one to do this, but just know that I'm trying to help you here...

First, this isn't exactly an appropriate place to go advertising for work. Most of us here are also 3d artists for hire, not clients. This forum is about discussing Lightwave. There's actually an "artists looking for work" forum over at cgtalk. You should take a look at that.

Now that that's out of the way, lets discuss your website:

If someone does go to that site because they're interested in hiring you, the fact that none of the links to any work you've done actually work is going to be an immediate turn off. It doesn't matter that you say the website is still under construction. You should finish the site, then let people know that you're available for hire.

The only work that is available to see are a couple of music videos that are nothing but copywrited pro-wrestling video cut to copywrited songs. It's obvious you were not hired by a client to produce these, and it's honestly hard to know just what elements of these two rip-off projects are actually your work.

I'll be honest. I've done things at the very early stages of my career that I'm embarassed of. I'm sure most of us have. So this is really about pointing you in the right direction, not insulting you.

Before you start advertising yourself as a 3d modeler, animator, rigger, or whatever, have something to show prospective clients. I know that its hard to get work when you haven't got a track record, but if you create some really good content, even if it's not for a client, that can often be enough. Just make it ORIGINAL. Figure out what you're capable of doing on your own, and focus on that. Pasting together some video content that you grabbed off television and is not the way to get there. It's okay to use commercial elements, but just make sure that they're not the focus of what you're trying to sell. Generally, using commercial music as a backdrop to your demo reel is considered acceptable, but that's about it.

Don't take this too hard. Just take a step back, get a vision for what you really want to accomplish, and then go for it.

Eric

paulmcg1
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Dear Eric,

Thank you eric for your reply. :) Sorry that I posted this here as I didn't know that I couldn't post advertising here. You are right about finishing my site and then letting people know of it. I actually thought I would have time to update it right after I posted this thread, but I thought wrong.

As far as the music videos are concerned. I put together the clips, added all the effects. Its all WWE's clips but I put them on my website to show what I can do in Sony's Vegas. If you read my services page you would see that I also do video production. 3d and web design though is what im really aiming for.

I do have work to put on my website but I havn't had the time to put it on. I will put it up as soon as possible. No insults where taken eric.

Paul

Carm3D
04-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Design-wise, the Play/Stop gadget doesn't fit in with the rest of the site, in my opinion.

Also it would be nice to greet the viewer with some kind of 3D graphic at the welcome page. So they can get a glimpse of what you can do before they get the chance to decide if they want to dig through your menus or not.