PDA

View Full Version : demo of lightwave?

e=mc^2
04-25-2005, 05:54 AM
what about demo of lightwave(or something like maya ple)??there will be someday??
cheers

pauland
04-25-2005, 06:09 AM
It's a fairly straightforward thing that everybody wants but Newtek have huge difficulties over. They've done it in the past with LW 7, and it's almost there if you run real LW without a dongle - you get LW in discovery mode.

Newtek did put out their LW7 discovery edition trial on many magazines (many moons ago), and the only other way to get it was to contact Newtek or a dstributor.

Beats me why they a can't get their heads around having a downloadable version. Anyway LW8 is so new [ ;-) ] , it's hardly surprising there's no trial version yet - LOL.

Paul

Signal to Noise
04-25-2005, 07:46 AM
If you can find Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave [7] book with the CDROM it contains a DE of LW 7.

There has been other threads querying an [8] demo and NT mention that they're "working on it".

Weetos
04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
This has been said a trillion times, but I think it's a shame that no demo version is made available. What if one wants to give LW a try? well this is not possible, so in most cases people choose competitors products as they don't know LW and have no chance to know it :(

Wade
04-25-2005, 10:40 AM
If you have another 3d package 495.00 will get you the whole tamale for another week. - Almost a free demo.

You can even sell it if you don't like it. :eek:

Just kidding around - but I do find the 495.00 offer a jaw dropper. :eek:

cresshead
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
personally i install my lightwave 8 on college machines...run it without the dongle so student's can see/use lw 8....this has been very affective in turning student's into full owners of lightwave 8...just last week a student bought lightwave 8 on the strength of what he can achieve with the de version of 8...i also hand out lightwave7.5 de discs as i got 50 of them a while back from my reseller...

will be much nicer when proton/newtek get lightwave 8 demo out there...still..i'm thinking that it'll actually be a lightwave 9 demo version by the time the next demo version is out there! :eek:

...news?

Wade
04-25-2005, 12:19 PM
I will take a LW 9 demo any day!! :eek:

Yog
04-25-2005, 01:10 PM
I've always been very puzzeled why Newtek have always been so reluctant to release a demo. Like Cress says, all they have to do is make the LW8 download available to everyone, not just owners, and you would have an instant 30 day demo version.

It can't be a security thing, because anyone with an internet connection can obtain a cracked version as easy as typing in a search.

The only thing I can think is that it would be a bandwidth issue. Every new release (full version or patch) the Newtek servers fall over big time, without fail. So possibly they believe the servers just not man enough for all the people who would want to download a demo.
Then again, there are pleanty of file download sites (Avid released their demo on File Planet), or even just upload it to Bit Torrent or one of the other file share places ???

I've heard Newtek say they wanted a fully polished demo version with loads of included tutorials, but I think most people would agree that an available cut down basic demo was better than the biggest best demo that never got released.

Imatk
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
I totally agree with what's been said here.

The fact that Newtek does not have an available demo version of Lightwave for new people to try completely amazes me when competitors like Alias have exactly that.

How can they expect new people to try their product if it isn't available?

Who cares if the demo version is "polished" or not... it's better than nothing, which is what they have right now.

And if you don't have a demo version of 8.2 or whatever... at least provide a demo version of 7 or 7.5 so new people can at least see what this great package has to offer.

Earl
04-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Agreed. There should be a downloadable demo of at least the last major release (version 8). It should also include a couple small (non-textured) scenes of content for people to play around with (these can be taken directly from the existing [8] content).

Perhaps one day!

mattclary
04-25-2005, 03:11 PM
There IS a demo. It's just "unofficial".

Everyone please REMEMBER next time you hear someone asking this questiont that the 7.x patches will install and run as a fully functional demo

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/win/lw75d.html

cresshead
04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
matt, totally correct!...though it would be nice to have an unofficial demo of lightwave 8.0 not lightwave 7.5 ...there's something we're not privy to obviously as they could if they wanted to...

i sniff somthing slightly BIG on the horizon.
..no demo of lightwave 8.0.....
..a new 3d app going into beta very soon...
a few point updates...for lightwave it'self...
summertime?....Hmmm...
who wants to guess that lightwave 9.0 will surface?
...it being a big leap forward and "new look"?

okay...rumourmill is now in operation! ;)

Weetos
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
There IS a demo. It's just "unofficial".

Everyone please REMEMBER next time you hear someone asking this questiont that the 7.x patches will install and run as a fully functional demo

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/win/lw75d.html

yeah true, but I think that demoing 7.5 won't give newcomers a clear idea of what 8.2 can bring - I agree the fundamentals are the same, but still ... I mean it's like NT were saying "Come on guys, Discover the new LW : download the version we released three years ago (if you ever find it ;) ) and imagine what the new one has to offer" :D

Earl
04-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Eh, while that IS true Matt (and users of LightWave should know that), a demo isn't for existing users and it certainly shouldn't take extensive poking around and forum posting to find. A current demo should be available on the main LightWave page. And by current, I mean it should be version [8]. If I were new to LW, I wouldn't want to look at 2 or 3 year old version, and I certainly wouldn't register and post on the forums just to find a demo. After not seeing a demo on the LightWave page, I would move on to Maya or XSI. Plain and simple.

Good thing I'm already addicted to LW. :cool:

Earl
04-25-2005, 04:12 PM
No Cresshead! Shut that rumormill down. It only leads to trouble... :eek:

Wade
04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Just say no to the rumor mill - but not if you speak German. :)

WizCraker
04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
who wants to guess that lightwave 9.0 will surface?

Highly doubt it, it has been what a Year since the realese of LW 8 and still no major update.

mattclary
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I certainly wouldn't register and post on the forums just to find a demo.

Many do though. I've answered this question many times. 7.x is good enough (for now) to give someone a taste of LightWave, it's the interface and workflow that usually sells one on LightWave, not the newest feature.

Signal to Noise
04-25-2005, 09:40 PM
... it's the interface and workflow that usually sells one on LightWave...

Not to mention the friendly and passionately obsessive LW community. It was the attitude and atmosphere of the LightWave forum members here and at CGTalk that inspired me to invest my chump change into LW.

Imatk
04-26-2005, 07:32 PM
While it's true that yes a person can download the "unofficial" version of 7.5 it makes no sense for Newtek to not directly compete with Alias and others with a very clear downloadable demo link on their first page.

Go to Alias, Discreet, and others and there are demos on the front page.

Why make it harder for new people to find? I totally agree with Earl.

Matt
04-26-2005, 08:01 PM
I agree, I just don't understand why it's not happened yet, all it can do is bring new users which we need.

:confused:

Here, let me help you out! ;)

WizCraker
04-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Because the cycle of development seems to follow:

1. Spend all time and money on next Video Toaster Release
2. Bring back Inspire 3D from the dead
3. Fix some bugs in Lightwave [make sure not to add any inovation] only release major updates every 4 years.
4. Repeat

I don't see demo in that cycle.

joeldberry
04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
http://www.sharbor.com/products/NTKN0300061.html

This says 7.5, but I have a Discovery Edition of version 8...

May be worth looking into?!?

pauland
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
So where did you get a Version 8 Demo from?

Earl
04-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Matt, I will keep clicking that button until it works!

lede
04-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Earl,

I see two things happening while you click that link. One your finger get carpel tunnel or two you break the mouse button :eek:

I can tell you that today if I was looking for a 3D app it wouldn't be Lightwave since there is no visible way to get a demo. This topic has been discuessed a lot of time and there still is no demo link yet. I trully hope NT is working hard on a better LW instead of building this super duper cool demo :D

Cress, oh no not another rummer going around... The last one that started took NT for ever to release and filled the forums up with excitment and anticipation. They just announce LW8.3 so lets see what the new HV's can do before starting the 9 thread :D

-Lee