PDA

View Full Version : Combining Lightwave with Adobe Premier (kinda urgent)

Kanephan
04-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi, I'm making an animation for my friend's movie. He edits his movies in premier and then exports them onto a disc for display on a tv screen. What I'm wondering is:

1. What resolution do I render my animation at?
2. Should I change the aspect ratio at all? Or will Adobe take care of it in the export?
3. Should I render in fields? Or will Adobe again take care of that when the complete movie is exported?

I don't have much experience with this and I'd like to get the best result possible. It's only an 8 second clip. Here's what I have so far..it looks like garbage on my monitor but that may be a good thing...

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KURJ0ET3FI9R0NG1YPZVYFCOF

It's rendered without fields at a .9 pixel aspect ratio. Basically just the D1 (NTSC) preset lightwave has in render options.

:confused:

dgon64
04-24-2005, 09:20 AM
The Lightwave preset will do fine for rendering and you don't have to render in fields ( see previous thread ). You rendered in 4x3 aspect ratio ( normally default ) and Premiere should also be set to this by default ( not 16x9 for example ). Also Premiere will compile your field-rendered frames if that's the way you choose to work and only a close look on your final output medium will tell you if it's good enough. Good start though. BTW remember to match those presets when importing to Premiere.

Surrealist.
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
BTW remember to match those presets when importing to Premiere.

Hi, I'm making an animation for my friend's movie.

What dgon64 is talking about is that premere also has presets. The way premere works is that you have a project setting - usually a preset. As an examnple, NTSC DV which would be 720X480 with a .9 pixel aspect ratio and 29.97 frames per second. Then additionally there is a selection for field rendering, upper or lower or none, (progressive scan).

If you are rendering out an animation in single frames - RGB files you only have to wory about the pixel aspect ratio and the frame size. If you are going to render an .avi or .mov (animation file) you'll should match his project settings exactly, not the other way around, since you are incorporatiing it into his movie.

Most likely he will have a capture format, probably DV or some form of Mpeg2 depending on his camera and format. That will be the format his project settings will be set to, then he will render this to a n Mpeg2 DVD preset for output to disc (assuming that's what you meant).

Just get from him his prject settings and render to single RGB frames and let him load that into his project.

If you want to render an animation I suggest using .mov, it will allow you more control to match the other settings by pressing the "properties" button under the animation file type in the Render Options panel in Layout. However if he likes using avi in his projects, it's OK, Premiere will still be able to handle the .avi LW gives him, if it is not compatable it will just have him recompress it (render a preview) on the timeline - not a big deal since he's going to render the whole thing to a file anyway. It's just that it may affect him having a realtime play back of it without a preview render of it. If this were the case he'd probably be smart to just load it up in a separate file and convert it - render to a new file.

For all of the above complicated reasons, it's probably best given the short length to just render out RGB frames in LW. He can then just load it up into a separate project, render it out as an AVI or MOV file and load it up into his movie project as an anim.

Lukesutherland
04-24-2005, 04:07 PM
whetever you do - DONT use cinepak compression (which you have at the moment) that is what is causing all the colours to band.

Frames are best.

Surrealist.
04-24-2005, 05:24 PM
whetever you do - DONT use cinepak compression (which you have at the moment) that is what is causing all the colours to band.

Frames are best.

What are you basing this on? There are other things that can make the color band raher than a particular codec. If you have some experience with this and other codecs please be more specific because I am sure the info will be of help.

And if you have other codecs to recomend - go for it. Redering out as an anim is completely fine and absolutely workable without banding if that is what is required by the situation. After all, it will get compressed into an anim at some point down the line anyway.

Lukesutherland
04-24-2005, 06:05 PM
There is a very comprehensive codec thread on this forum that I participated in only a short time ago... The search function works just fine last time I checked.

I agree there are a number of ways you can achieve the glorious banding effect - maybe it was a cell shader? Mayber he reduced it to 64 colours? But in this instance it looks like cinepack artefacts -

The 'frames are best' comment is nothing to do with compression - more to do with: reliability / multi machine renders / photoshop processing / render errors / safer work method to make a habit.

If your render crashes after two days of rendering your next short film and you are rendering a quicktime or AVI, there is a good chance that the file will be unusable. Frames however - no problem. How many times have you done a render and there are a couple of weird frames in the middle etc etc...Frames are best (but hey of course it's only my opinion...)

Adobe premiere accepts image sequences without a problem, and treats it as a single stream- just like a qt or avi - if you are going to render out of your image processing or compositing program with compression (if that's what your playout device requires) then I'd recommend frames once again - compressing something twice isn't going to make it look better.

I always use targa frames / with RLE encoding if possible (rle reduces file size when there are areas of flat colour)

We have a DPS reality video card - I network render frames directly into the 'p' drive, they remain uncompressed throughout the whole process.

But as you aluded to earlier, different playout devices require different codecs...

Surrealist.
04-24-2005, 09:34 PM
There is a very comprehensive codec thread on this forum that I participated in only a short time ago... The search function works just fine last time I checked.

I am aware of the thread. So it sounds like you have the expereince of a banding effect with the radius codec. OK, noted.

Regardiong the rest of your comments, very sound advice and I agree.