PDA

View Full Version : Morph Targets - Adding to your mesh

Psycho Zo
04-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone!
I have a question concerning morph targets. Basically I am aware that even after creating morph targets you can add to your mesh by editing the base target. However I wanted to position some teeth in place in my model, and decided it would be best to do that when the mouth is at its widest, so I can see clearly what I am doing. The problem with this is that as I will create this new addition to the mesh in a target other than the base, it will deform in all the other targets and so won't stay static. I'd like to know if there is any way I can add to my mesh in a target other than "base" and retain its shape through all targets. I have searched and asked around but haven't come up with anything on the topic that would help me.
Thank you!

Cman
04-23-2005, 07:45 PM
I would suggest you build/place them while in that target, then cut them, go to base object and paste.

edit - nevermind, won't work. Perhaps there's a plugin or a way to save out a morph as an object, then you can reimport that object.

Mr_Bester
04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
You could pop into layout-set the morph-save transformed-open transformed in modeller-do the teeth-cut the teeth-open original model-paste the teeth.
It's a lot of hoop jumping, but should work.
Dug

Cman
04-23-2005, 08:31 PM
It's a lot of hoop jumping, but should work.
Dug

That's why I suggested the plug.
I swear there's one that exports a morph as an object, just can't remember what it is at the moment.

Psycho Zo
04-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Cman - LOL! Yeah, you would THINK that copy/paste would work wouldn't you? This is why I posted in the first place. I mean why would a person copy and paste something from a different target if they wanted it to deform back after pasting? (Honestly I am curious, if you know of a reason please tell.) I personally think it's a bit illogical.

Mr_Bester - This is the conclusion that I am gradually coming to, I was hoping there would be a more straight forward way to do this directly in modeller.

Thanks for replying guys! I really appreciate the help.

Dodgy
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't get this... How would the teeth know where to be in the base pose if you model fresh them in the morph? It's like you modelled them in the base pose, they wouldn't have a morph target in the open pose, or at least the target would be incorrect. Makes no odds which way you go, they're still going to be incorrect.

What I do is model them in the base pose just under the top teeth, then grab them and rotate them (as one object) to the correct open pose in the morph. You get a much better idea of how they fit together this way.

Psycho Zo
04-25-2005, 03:51 AM
I understand what you are saying, and you are right about that. What I don't understand is that if I model it in a morph why I can't copy and paste it into a different morph? Sure it doesn't know straight off what I want it to look like, but I'm trying my hardest to tell it. I think it would make more sense if you could copy and paste.

GregMalick
04-25-2005, 01:43 PM
I'll do my best to explain:

A morph map is not actually a layer of points & polys.
It is more like a UV map or a vertex weight map.
Except each Morph map contains XYZ displacement for the points in the BASE layer.

So you can't have extra "displacements" for points that don't exist.
Basically the BASE is the model & the morph-maps define alternate displacements.

I hope this is clear (and 100% correct).

By the way - I created a new Morph layer and modeled something in it.
It creates it in the BASE layer too - and mods to the morph layer are only reflected in the morph layer. So I'm confused as to the problem.

Cman
04-25-2005, 02:09 PM
OK, I found what I had lost.

Use this technique as described by evenflcw:

"Use Apply Morph. Apply the morph 100% the base and then apply the morph by -200% to itself if you wish for base and morph to trade places."

The Apply Morph will make the base object take on the morph. I would suggest you do this to a copy of the object, then cut/paste into the object you want. :D

good luck!

Psycho Zo
04-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Cman....
.... you absolute and utter genious!

It makes perfect sense!
Thank you so much! *Virtual hugs*

Cman
04-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Aww, shucks... :o

I should get you in touch with my supervisor! lol

btw, just tried it on simple geometry and it works!
Just reverse the 100% & -200% between the base and morph and it goes right back to where you had it!

Psycho Zo
04-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Ha ha! Yeah.. Definately. Your supervisor would be impressed with your reputation for being a genious, I mean you have it on good authority don't you? Some random person said you were one online once. Hee hee... :p Thanks though really I owe you one.

Mr Bester, Dodgy, GregMalick thank you too for taking your time out to reply to me.