PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Microdem

Paul Brunson
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Does anyone know how to get a DEM file saved in microdem into Lightwave 8.2? I tried Marvin Landis's elevation plugin(s) but I can't seem to get them to work.

I'm creating a CG flyover of my hometown. I've downloaded a bunch of SDTS DEM 7.5 minute datas and seamed them together in Microdem. But the only way I can find to export to Lightwave is by saving a tiff. Which works but unfortunately looses some of the data since tiff is 24-bit. While an SDTS DEM loaded straight into lightwave is 32 bit. Which turns out to make a big difference when your dealing with highly subdivided meshes.

Anyway, if anyone has done this before and has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Carm3D
04-23-2005, 07:31 PM
I haven't messed with dem's in a looong time.. but if you have an altitude map image, you can use displacement mapping to convert a flat grid object into terrain.

hijacker
04-24-2005, 05:29 AM
It's easy, you need to load your data then save as 3D, and use either DXF or OBJ file format. Check which one is smaller and use that. Then simply import your file into lightwave.

Cheers

martyn