PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished the new series BSG Viper Mk2

pixeltek
04-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Slow, after all I am just a hobbyist, but finished it is, nonetheless.

More images here: http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/3dLW61.htm

Karl

14 and famous
04-24-2005, 04:19 AM
Looks good :rolleyes:

Steve Reeves
04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Looks pretty good - congratulations.

The PS filter effect is also quite nice - gives it a nice feel.

Well done.

pixeltek
04-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks, yes, it adds a little bit of texture, keeping large planes from looking too CG or too boring (in absence of a really good texture :o )

Here is another one, using Zoic's excellent LW-Galactica background for my viper. Are those guys good or what? Makes me feel like the bumbling amateur I know I am. :D - but I smile a lot to cover it up.

Karl

emoboy83
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
i disagree, the ps filter is cheap and nasty. not sure why its on there buit id get rid of it.

pixeltek
04-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Then I sure hope you do.

However, keep in mind, my stuff, like your stuff, and that of the rest of us, is all in the eyes of the beholders. You know what they say: "Opinions are like, well, you know what, everyone's got one."

Peace

pixeltek
05-04-2005, 02:39 PM
One more for your pleasure - and mine :D

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

Steve Reeves
05-04-2005, 02:59 PM
very nice indeed - great work.

1 small crit - the engine glows - look a bit naff in my opinion (sorry). You can see some balls in there which are presumably glowing objects? Have you tried lensflare glow with them set to hide behinf objects?

Your model looks ace - good texturing as well.

secondly, love the planet image as well. Is that photo available for download anywhere at a decent resolution?

congrats.

Captain Obvious
05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't mean to sound like a physics nerd, but why would a space-faring vessel need intakes? Especially ones with fans...

Nice model, though! ;)

emperorchuck
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I think the renders are a bit flat; it looks like you used one light plus a little bit of ambient light for each of them, which is fine, but it's a bit distracting when you composite your models. For example, your planet flyby shot is very pretty, but the model needs to reflect the planet and receive light from it. The edge of the Viper facing the planet should pick up a bluish hue from reflected light. Here's a link to a photo of the space shuttle and Mir which shows the effect pretty well: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021020.html
Getting a good light and composite setup in there would help your already good model look even better.

pixeltek
05-04-2005, 04:13 PM
To both of you, Thanks for the comments.

As for the intakes, I too had the same commentary, but this is the way it was (re-)designed by Gabriel Koerner for Zoic and the new BSG series. The original had the same strange logic. The only thing I can think is that there are two different drives involved, one air breathing for inside of the atmosphere (after all, why even streamline the vessel) and one for exoatmospheric operation. Taking in air would reduce fuel requirements - whatever. We are looking at the derivative of a design from the 60s made for the original series.

Where I am concerned, it's just fan art. Fun to do and enjoyable to those who are fans of those series or movies - like my Star Wars stuff. You and I could spend days, picking those things apart as well. :rolleyes:

Regarding the link for the background image: http://www.earthkam.ucsd.edu/public/images/favorites.shtml

How's that?

Karl

Captain Obvious
05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Ah, well, nevermind then. :)

pixeltek
05-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I actually have a blue light in there, but since I have it shining up from the planet's diection (i.e. from the back - where the background image is located) it just didn't come through. Good point though. Should I decide to rerender it, I will definitely relocate and boost it to get some of the blue edge lighting effect. Even if slightly off, it would probably add to the image depth.

Thanks for your constructive thoughts,

K

pixeltek
05-05-2005, 12:17 AM
Ok, I did it and shifted the blue light and added intensity, and, IMO, it improved the image considerably. You know we have a certain look in mind, hence the original blue light, but then I got lost in details and forgot about it, until you pointed it out.

http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/3dLW63.htm

Thanks again,

Karl

pixeltek
05-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Rather than to upload the whole thing again, here is a detail that illustrates the change

K

emperorchuck
05-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Beauty! Much better. And is that a dirt map I see? Those streaks were not in the last render...

mattclary
05-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Based on the last pic with the soot around the attitude jets, I assume you are still working on the texturing? I was going to say to work on weathering it a bit. The chipped look of the red parts are going in the right direction, but the grey looks too glossy and clean. Really excellent model, don't sell yourself short. :cool:

p.s. And I kinda like the papery look of that filter, don't understand why anyone would say it looks cheap or nasty, even if it wasn't their cup of tea.

pixeltek
05-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Chuck, Matt.

Yes, indeed, I was/am still working on textures. While I know what you are saying, I may stand here for a while and do something else. Each piece that one finishes adds to the confidence and to the tools one employs for the illusion. The scorchmarks, too, were in the original plan, and having stepped back to bring the last image to life, so to speak, I thought it was time to break up the monotony of the front part of the hull a bit.

Thanks again for the constructive comments. I do agree, the texturizing filter, used subtely, can be a nice way to present an image and get away from the "cookie-cutter" way of showing everything. To not appreciate that is, IMO, very narrow minded.

Karl

wacom
05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
I was looking through your site gallery- you've done some really nice models and this one is good too. I'd say that your only weakness here is in texturing and lighting, if you did a few tutorials you'd have some really amazing stuff to show for all your great modeling skills. If you have the money you might want to consider FPrime...

The reflective look of the hull is kind of strange- It's kind of looking a bit like plastic in areas. You might want to look into using a gradient to control your diffuse channel as well as the reflections.

Please upload the version with the added blue light etc. I think that one look far better from the limited view you gave us.

Again- you've some really good modeling skills. Good work!

pixeltek
05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Ah yes. F-Prime, Sas, and also Verti-bevel, would be desirements of mine. If I find that I will be teaching high school again this fall (laid off over the summer - I live in bankrupt CA), I will be in position to buy some of this good stuff. Keep in mind, I'm just an old fart with an expensive hobby. You noticed that I give nearly all I do away as well.

Lots of you, notice mattcleary's post for one, are pushing the virtues of F-Prime. It seems to be the renderer of choice for a large part of the LW community. Too bad Worley never offers Siggraph show specials, like so many other companies do. I usually go there every year. For me it's part of the total 3D experience.

Given time, and my level of interest in a subject, I know how to model. I also know my weaknesses: Wine, women - no - wait! I mean, in 3D imagery. :D

I often wonder why Newtek does not incorporate certain high quality tools, such as Vertibevel, for example, that are being highly touted by so many of you pros. I am a little confused about F-Prime. Apparently a renderer, but should not LW's renderer be kept up to date year after year, and thus keep up with new developments such as F-Prime and/or brazil, to name two? It may be a cost issue or this is all to happen in the long awaited and predicted programmatic redesign.

Anyway, my thanks for your comments and for browsing my site,

Karl

mattclary
05-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Pixeltek, I too am just a lowly hobbiest. F-Prime was some of the best money I ever spent. It REALLY makes lighting and texturing easier. Ever thought of selling this or other models at Turbosquid.com? This one would probably go like hotcakes. ****, get a part time job, at least til you can afford F-Prime. ;)

starbase1
05-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Very, very nice model - but I agree that it needs dirtying down to really make it great. I'd also suggest turning down the saturation on those pure red LED's on the wingtips.

Nick

pixeltek
05-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Nick. Have you ever flown in a fighter jet at night? I have. Those things are really, really bright.
--------------------------
Matt. All in good time. No panic here. I've got my ducks in the row, and the plan is working. When I am finished with this semester, I will travel, then it's hopefully back to work in the classroom, and I will in time start to spend my money on SW again.

Aside from that, LW's renderer used to be one of the, if not the, best in the industry. When things such as F-Prime and Brasil happen, I think NT should be (and I'm sure is) taking notice and do whatever can be done to recover that position of prominence. They have a lot riding on this. When masses of users are utilizing a renderer different than what is provided with the software, that should be perceived as a serious problem to be solved by management ASAP.

On selling these kinds of models. We can't do that. This is "fan art", i.e. we are reproducing 3D designs copyrighted by someone else. Were it my own design, I might be able to do that. That's a thought though, and I thank you for your kind concern. Have a great weekend.

Karl

starbase1
05-07-2005, 05:26 AM
It was not the brightness, it was the saturation - unless they are lasers or LED's they will not be RGB <255,0,0>!

Nick

pixeltek
05-07-2005, 09:30 AM
You're right Nick. I see what you mean. There is a difference.

Karl

pixeltek
05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I just checked, Nick. Nav lights are at 174,0,0 with 42% Luminosity. Not 255,0,0. However, I will knock them back some.

K

starbase1
05-07-2005, 10:23 AM
That's still 100% saturated!!!
;)

But a little more orange (and the smallest touch of blue) will do wonders for the realism I suspect. This kind of small difference really shows up when you send liights beyond 100%

Keep up the good work - I am enjoying watching this develop.

Incidentally, I found an old book from Scfi and Fantasy modeller, where they interview the guy who made the priginal models! He says the Viper models were 15.5 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 6 inches tall. This is meant to be 1/24th scale, Ill let you do the math!
:D

Nick

wacom
05-07-2005, 10:40 AM
You might want to consider using a gradient on the lights to control their color temurature. I'd start by trying with and incendent angle one and going from there.
Many light can almost seem white hot in the center to the human eye, and then fade out to a diffrent color of the spectrum (Orange, blue, red etc.). Also it's important to know weather the color of the light comes from the fillament/electric reaction part or the exterior color of the bulb and/or it's treatment.

But the easiest thing to do is look at a few real pictures of them!

pixeltek
05-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Ok, that's all the time I can give it for now. Got to get two tests ready for my h.s. kids for next week. Lights are modified, and they are better this way. I also added some hull "grime". All for the better, I think, thanks to your various inputs. In due time I will probably put the model up at the Force.net and my own website for download. Then everyone can play with it to their heart's content.

I already did that with the Classic BSG series Viper.

Nick - if you check into it even more, you will discover that they built models of various sizes and detail for close or distant shots. What's more, as you can see, they built full-scale mock-ups for both, the old Viper and the new one (which uses no more scale models at all).

Thanks for the help,

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/Downloads.htm

pixeltek
05-07-2005, 04:51 PM
You'll see the full-scale mock-up mainly in cockpit close-ups (such as this), or as a background for maint people to run around it and to pretend to service or fix it.

K

pixeltek
05-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I found the result too dark and already corrected it. However, it's time for you to "roll your own". I made the model available for download at my website:
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/3dLW63.htm :D You're welcome.

Have fun. No support. Read the enclosed note. Everyone here is a LW artist and can do whatever minor stuff is needed.

Karl

pixeltek
05-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Went over it with a fine-toothed comb and believe that I eliminated all of the niggling little annoyances that would come up, if you try to open the file, i.e. asking for stuff that is not there or not necessary. :rolleyes:

Rubber, Gold and Silver reflections are part of your LW and you will just have to look for them in your files.

K

mattclary
05-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Makes me feel like the bumbling amateur I know I am. :D - but I smile a lot to cover it up.

I soooo forgot you were the guy who made all those cool models, and here you are bad-mouthing yourself! Don't make me come through this screen and slap you.... :rolleyes:

pixeltek
05-08-2005, 10:57 AM
You know what I mean, Matt. Take Proton, Taron, to name two, or any of the LW greats who formerly worked at Foundation Imaging, or nowadays at Zoic, or the bunch that is pulling off the Stargates, Andromeda, and the sadly deceased Enterprise, week after week, or Cro Team, and the ones who did Doom 3, and on and on, they are the ones to compare ourselves with. There are some brilliant amateurs out there as well. People who made entire Star Wars fan movies with stunning effects in their spare time, they are the gifted and skilled. By comparison I am but that bumbling amateur. Sure, some are using other tools (who knows how many slip Modo into their design process), Worley's plug-ins, the aforementioned VertiBevel, but we all know by now, it's hardly ever the tools, but the native talent, ingeniousness, and plain hard-won skill, that carries the day.

The rest is up to NewTek (such as the dated renderer issue, I brought up earlier).

Karl

Clint in Dirty Harry: "A man's gotta know his limitations". :cool:

mattclary
05-09-2005, 06:03 AM
...they are the ones to compare ourselves with.

You can compare yourself with them, some of us aren't good enough to compare ourselves with them (yet, hopefully). :cool:

pixeltek
05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
So you know xactly what you're getting. This is a render of the contents of Vip2.ZIP. Note: I provide just one of each decal, and you will have to do a horizontal flip in either PaintShop Pro and Photoshop and save the decal for the opposite side of the craft. No problem for anyone here. I'm certain of it. Other than that, each of you can personalize the model with your own textures, name plate, scorch marks, landing gear, pilot etc. and make it your own. Have fun with it, and show me some of the renders. :D

The download is here: http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/Downloads.htm

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

pixeltek
05-28-2005, 11:25 AM
FYI Matt, since I just noticed your Jedi avatar, I thought I'd let you know that I will publish a X-wing fighter tutorial after my return from my summer travel. It will be at least as large as my Viking ship tute and of about the same level of difficulty and detail as the new Viper. We're talking about the post-Siggraph timeframe here, since I will probably go there again this year.

Karl

pixeltek
05-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Just so you know what we're talking about. Yes, wings are folded and can be unfolded. :D

K

~DD~Apocalypse
05-29-2005, 10:13 PM
:eek:
dude, that's amazing, love the d-tails..

nice, me likes!

pixeltek
05-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks, we will all have to opportunity to build this together. Just hang in there. I'll announce it, when I start the tutotial.

Karl