PDA

View Full Version : Problem with dobble sided polygon - help please

JML
04-22-2005, 01:05 PM
somebody here modelled pieces of glass of an interior as flat polygons from
another modelling program.

look at the picture for a better understanding..

when imported, the polygons modelled seems to be double sided in layout.
but in the surface editor, the surface is not double sided.

I modelled 2 faces directly from LW and they act the way they are supposed to.
(when you look 'behind' them , you can't see them)

(all surface in this scene are the same)

my question,
I remember that there was a tool to make single polygon dobble sided in modeller,
(not through the surface but thourgh the polygon itself) I don't remember where it is if it's still there,

is there anyway to convert those single polygon back into 'real' single polygon

Macet01
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Are you sure that they are all single polys. I did this once and while they looked like single polys they were actually two polys with opposite facing normals existing in the same coordinate space.

JML
04-22-2005, 03:25 PM
no they are single poly (I selected them and there is only 1 poly.

that's okay thought.. not a big problem,
we usually import glass as object and it works fine.

but somebody modeled those piece of glass as 1 poly object and I guess while the convertiing, something got messed up.. that's okay, next time, I will tell them to model as objects instead of faces..

Silkrooster
04-22-2005, 09:08 PM
You can have two polys facing opposite directions and merged together, which would make it a single poly. Using the unify tool would make those polys single sided again. Then it maybe necessary to use align tool to make them all facing the same direction.
Silk

Surrealist.
04-22-2005, 11:25 PM
my question,
I remember that there was a tool to make single polygon dobble sided in modeller,
(not through the surface but thourgh the polygon itself) I don't remember where it is if it's still there,

is there anyway to convert those single polygon back into 'real' single polygon

If you have LW 8 both are in the Detail Tab/Polygons/More...Double Sided and Unify Polys, the later of which Silk corectly pointed out will solve it.

JML
04-23-2005, 11:39 AM
thanks , I will try that.