PDA

View Full Version : Instancing Objects at Points

KeenanCrane
04-22-2005, 12:40 AM
What's the easiest way to create a scene where there are instances of one object placed at each of the vertices of another object? I.e., if I have object A and object B, I want a scene where there's a copy of object A centered at every vertex of object B.
I'm still using LightWave 7.5.
Thanks,

Keenan

bjornkn
04-22-2005, 01:49 AM
It sounds like HD_Instance would do that job perfectly :)
It's a very useful plugin!

Wonderpup
04-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi KeenanCrane,

Point clone plus does exactly what you want. In 8 it's under multiply-duplicate-more, probably the same in 7.5

Dodgy
04-22-2005, 08:06 AM
I recommend HD_instance form www.happy-digital.com too, it's cheap for what it does and does a grand job.

KeenanCrane
04-23-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I can't afford HD_Instance, though it seems like it would be perfect for my application.

Point Clone Plus doesn't really work because I have way too many points/objects for it to be practical.

What I've done at this point is written some code which generates a scene file with instances of my object at the proper positions. However, LightWave has a maximum object limit of 2048 (?!?! :eek: ?!?). Is there any way to increase this limit? Why the devil does this limit exist?

I'm thinking about switching to some other renderer anyway, since LightWave's is pretty ridiculous (you would think they could at least do some basic stuff like laying down depth first... so many wasted rays...). Anyone have suggestions for a renderer which is fast for large scenes? Essential features are area lights and glossy reflections.

SplineGod
04-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Whats your end result going to be?

KeenanCrane
04-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Whats your end result going to be?

Basically a huge number of legos.

My rendering time explodes when I turn on glossy reflections right now because of the huge number of objects in the scene. Is there any way to specify which objects are visible to which other objects? The reflection only really matters for adjacent blocks - after that it's all just a big blur anyway.