PDA

View Full Version : making this into a ring?

Leprechaun
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
is ther anyway that i can bend this object into a ring shape?

jhopfenblatt
04-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I never figured out how to use the bend tool properly, so I'm basically tagging this just to see if someone helps me figure it out as well. :)

Since I don't know how to use the bend tool, though, what I would suggest is taking a gander at the video tutorial on how to make braids. I'm pretty sure the same concept would apply, in that you could (in theory), make a circular 2-point-poly chain with the undulating pattern you have there, and then just rail extrude a rectangle/2-point-poly/circle/whatever-shape-you-want using the chain you created. IMO that would seem easier because making the undulating pattern would only require moving points around instead of bending geometry.

But, as my answer always is on these forums, you're probably better off waiting for someone else to answer your question, hehehe.

annaleah
04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Can you post the file....LWO/LWS?

I' will have a go at it... :confused:

cmann_2000
04-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Okay, here's how I'd do it:
Create a disk, kill the poly, then create a closed curve which will be a nice circle. This should be on a different layer from your main object. Okay, now load them both into Layout. For your original object, go to the deform tab under Properties and select Curve Conform. From there, select the layer with the curve and select Align and Stretch. The last step, assuming that it looks good, is to select your main object and go to File>Save>Save transformed object... and select a new file name. Load the new file in Modeler and make sure that it worked. If this was too vague, lemme know, I can send pics or make a quick tutorial.

Cman
04-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Here's a plugin to try: cbend (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Cbend/index.html)

edit - fixed link

Leprechaun
04-22-2005, 08:46 AM
thanks, i used the plugin. i had no idea how to use it lol but i got it to work. Heres what i was using it for.

evenflcw
04-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Bend Tool would've been enough for this... but it's good to get to know cBend. It's a mighty powerful plugin.

Tiger
04-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I used the Bendtool on this object. Works great!