PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic animated grass possible with standard LW7?

Ade
04-23-2003, 10:53 AM
I want to create wind blowing through my grass. Sasquatch 1.5 can do it but i cant afford it. Is there anyway else?
Do any other 3D packages do this without extra costs for plugins?

Desperate.....

Lightwolf
04-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Hi Ade,

a couple of techniques come to mind. This might work in conjunction with sas lite as well. Try this:

Create a 2 point polygon, apply a weight map (0% at the base, 100% at the top).
Clone it so you get a field of blades (you could also model blades, or try to use spline guides for sas lite).
Switch to layout, load the grass.
Apply a displacement map to your object (Fractal noise or something like that, add a null and use it as a reference object, turn on world coordinates for the displacement map).
Add a weightmap gradient, select the created weight map, on top of that, set it to Alpha, 0% at 0%, 100% at 100%.
Now the noise should only affect the tip of the blades.
Move the null to get that wind effect.

I hope you get the basice idea, you can build on top of that. I'd try to get the basics to work, then try it with spline guides and saslite.

Cheers,
Mike

Ade
04-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks soo much, so this method will look just like sas grass but can be dynamic? I just wish NEWTEK added this feature with its bundles.
I will try this method.

drclare
04-24-2003, 12:28 AM
You could also try using motion designer with some turbulent wind. Model your grass as stated above but make a separate surface for the bottom polys of you grass to use as a fixed surface in motion designer. Then your other surface for the grass can be affected by wind, gravity, etc. I have found motion designer tough to work with, and there is some precalculation time, but the results are very dynamic.

Ade
04-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Forgive myh newbieness but is motion designer a seperate app or free plugin in lw7?

Lightwolf
04-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Hi Ade,
free and included.

drclare
04-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Sorry about that. It is a plugin that is included with lightwave. There is a chapter devoted to it in the manual. You can find the plugin in Layout under the Scene tab, and it is called MD_Controller.