PDA

View Full Version : City Panorama

Sanchon
04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Hello.

This is my first post. Please critics and comments.

http://www.atlantis-arts.com/images/grafiki/Panorama.jpg

http://www.atlantis-arts.com/images/grafiki/Panorama%20Night.jpg

jhopfenblatt
04-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I love it. :)

The big question is: How long did that take to render? Heheheh.

EDIT: A small detail I would comment on is this: You should add some variety to the cars in the scene. All of them are pretty much either brownish, blue, or white. You can probably just photoshop a few of them to add more color to your scene.

Matt
04-21-2005, 02:02 PM
WOW! That is one awesome render, love the detail!

Can you give some more info on the scene - poly count, render time, lighting etc.

Brilliant, well done!

:D

doimus
04-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Way too cool rendering! :cool:
Maybe even too cool for regular viz requierments, this has more of certain cartoon quality to it... in most positive way ofcourse.

BTW, glad to see some Frank O. Gehry architecture there, too. :D

riki
04-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Great perspective, like the top pix especially.

otacon
04-21-2005, 09:34 PM
This is great! I really like it, especially the night shot. Only crit would be to use a different sky background, something with a horizon. I remember seeing this in the cgarchitect competition qualifications and i thought is was really cool. I would also like to know more details about the scene. :)

adrian
04-22-2005, 01:00 AM
<GASP> Fantastic! Love the night scene :-)

How many polys? How long did it take to model?

Adrian.

Captain Obvious
04-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Fantastic work. Especially the night shot. But the sky in it is kind of... well... bad.

miso popovic
04-22-2005, 04:41 AM
WoW!great work man!How long did it take to model!! :))

14 and famous
04-22-2005, 07:19 AM
awsome
No crits from me :D

badgerboy
04-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Looks fantastic! I especially like the crazy buildings in the top left of the top pic. Are these real? and if so where are they?

Sanchon
04-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Thank you very much for comments.

I was making this scene for about two months (without render time). I wanted to do several city visualizations for print.

These scenes have very simple light setup - arrays and distant for simulation of ground diffusion. I didn't use radiosity and spinning light trick (overcaster), because of huge render time.

This scene has 2,9m polys. Render time at 2630x1860 resolution, at 12 antialiasing passes isn't longer than 24 hours on dual xeon 3,06 Ghz (overclocked to 3,4Ghz).

My main problem was a memory. I have 2GB RAM but it wasn't enough for print renderings, because I needn't have concentrated on details. Second problem was a horizon. I didn't have panoramic photos to create more interesting horizon.

All buildings have been modelled on the basis of real structures except for shopping centre in the middle of image (I designed it by myself).

The "crazy" buildings in the top left of the top pic is The Ray and Maria Stata Center, on the MIT campus, by Frank Gehry (http://www.architectureweek.com/2004/0623/design_1-1.html)

more images - www.atlantis-arts.com
still under construction and in polish version ;)

Light Setup :
http://www.atlantis-arts.com/panorama_lights.jpg

Tommorow I'll sent a light setup for night version which is more complicated ;)

Bigboy
04-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Absolutly love the style! Looks like a toy I can pick up and play with!

Would make a great game....kinda like a simcity4,000,000 :)

Great render.

Sanchon
04-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Thank You very much !

night version :

amibient - one small area light with shadow turned on
moon - one distant light with only <affect_specular> turned on

All street lights (point lights) has <linear fallow> turned on (faster render than inverse distance fallow) but this is unnatural so I decided to simulate inv.dist. with two sets of lights - one for mainly ground iluminating, the second one (upper) for buildings and flares.

More lights with linear fallow = faster render than smaller quantity of lights with inverse distance fallow.

all lights has some color and saturation differences from yellow to red spectrum.

http://atlantis-arts.com/night%20lights_1.jpg

http://atlantis-arts.com/night%20lights_2.jpg

BaseZero
04-29-2005, 09:38 AM
That is incredible!

Great work, really like itů

monovich
04-29-2005, 12:54 PM
really nice work. mind boggling deatail, too. I love the night shot the best. the sky in the day one is strange, which is a shame because the rest is so good and it detracts from it.

great work overall.

-s

Zafar Iqbal
04-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Omg! :eek:

Sanchon
04-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Thank You all !

Yes, this horizon is terrible. I must to do something with it in my next work. Now I'm going to model next city panorama. Much bigger I think :)

NGR
04-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Having only recently purchased Lightwave, and still wrestling with a three sphere planet rendering, your efforts simply scare the crap out of me.

Martin Adams
05-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Truely fantastic work, I can't get my head around the level of detail that you've put in. How did you do the trees, they are superb!!!

Have you considered animating the motion of the vehicle then rendering the frame with motion blur? It could give a little more life to the picture. But then I can't imagine what that would do to your render times.

starbase1
05-04-2005, 04:54 AM
Awesome work - I too prefer the night shot, that is something very special.

Some of the buiuldings in the day one could do with more surface variation, colours look a bit flat and even.

But still 5* from me...

Nick

Sanchon
05-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Trees are simple clip maps with some brigthness&saturation modification in DFX+ ( I saved renders as RLA files)
Most buildings have very simplified texturing, mostly one-two procedural layers :) - this is bad but in my next work I going to create scene with different way - simple object but more complex texturing & lighting.

I have some renders with motion blur - post effect in DFX+ too. For example :

http://www.atlantis-arts.com/images/grafiki/Hanging%20Street.jpg

more images - www.atlantis-arts.com

JReble
05-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Let me just say this sir.....You are Supa Bad! I've had to do a few scenes of that sort myself and I can appreciate the work you put into it. Of course, you probably made yours with a lot less trouble and about 6000 fewer steps than I took.

One thing I'm looking for is a tutorial or other starter lesson related to making trees like you used. I desperately need something with a scene of a tree or two in it to get the jist of the process. Many folks have said something about how simple it was for them, but I haven't had much luck using my various approaches. Does anyone know a good place to start to achieve similar results as seen in the trees on these excellent shots? If anybody can whip out a tiny scene with a single tree that would help a bunch. :) My city scapes are looking pretty decent but with crappy trees it's all for not.