PDA

View Full Version : Image maps "creeping"

Johnny
04-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Have a scene in which I have an 8-bit map serving as Bump, and when I play the clip, the texture "creeps." Not only does it squirm and vibrate, but it sort of oozes..might be cool in some uses, but this partic. surface is a carpet which isn't supposed to squirm, ooze or move in any way.

I went to an image map bcs my procedurals suffered from this vibrating..Any thoughts on how I can kill this vibrating texture in image maps?

thank you!

J

toby
04-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds like the Mip-Mapping has been turned off - check it in the image editor as well as the texture

Or do you mean that the *color* texture creeps when there's bump? More AA? Blurring the bump map is also a standard technique.

Johnny
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Sounds like the Mip-Mapping has been turned off - check it in the image editor as well as the texture

Or do you mean that the *color* texture creeps when there's bump? More AA? Blurring the bump map is also a standard technique.

I hate to admit, but I can't find any place to turn mip-mapping on or off in the image editor..is this known by another name?

*EDIT: is mip-mapping something available in LW 8, but not in LW 7.5?

what I mean by creep is 2-fold: 1) the texture vibrates as the camera pans over the scene, and 2) the texture seems to "migrate" from one area to the next..I have no such controls set on that surface, and the image is present only as a bump map.

J

toby
04-21-2005, 03:55 PM
oops - you're still in 7.5 - it's called texture anti-aliasing in 7.5, it's only in the texture panel. Make sure pixel blending is on too.

How big is the map? Are the lights animated?

Johnny
04-21-2005, 04:27 PM
oops - you're still in 7.5 - it's called texture anti-aliasing in 7.5, it's only in the texture panel. Make sure pixel blending is on too.

How big is the map? Are the lights animated?

OK..both of those are checked, and were so when I did the animation in question..
the map is 908K, Finder size.

J

toby
04-21-2005, 08:01 PM
no, what resolution is it? did you try blurring it, or making one twice it's size? It's hard to picture this without seeing it move or at least seeing the map. If you can post an animation it would be best.

cmann_2000
04-21-2005, 08:39 PM
There's a chance it's caused by your animation compression; in a short uncompressed animation, does it look right?

Johnny
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
There's a chance it's caused by your animation compression; in a short uncompressed animation, does it look right?

thanks...No, I tried a few codecs including animation and uncompressed.

J

Johnny
04-26-2005, 09:43 AM
no, what resolution is it? did you try blurring it, or making one twice it's size? It's hard to picture this without seeing it move or at least seeing the map. If you can post an animation it would be best.

It is 72 dpi, no blurring...

thanks for giving me these ideas tho..I'll make a higher-resolution map and throw in a little blur...

If the texture still squirms, I'll post a clip.

thanks!

J

toby
04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
How many pixels by how many pixels?

It also depends on how it's mapped, basically you want to make sure that a pixel in the map is much smaller than the pixel that the camera is rendering. Try a huge one just to make sure.

Johnny
04-26-2005, 01:15 PM
How many pixels by how many pixels?

It also depends on how it's mapped, basically you want to make sure that a pixel in the map is much smaller than the pixel that the camera is rendering. Try a huge one just to make sure.

1440 x 1440. UV mapped. I picked this size bcs it's 2 times the size of the largest dimention of my frame size, 720 x 480, and thought it would help in case of close ups.

So, by huge, do you mean 3X, 4X, 10X the frame size?

J

toby
04-26-2005, 06:06 PM
No, that should be big enough, you could've been using 512 for all I knew :)

Can you post a clip?

Johnny
04-26-2005, 08:09 PM
No, that should be big enough, you could've been using 512 for all I knew :)

Can you post a clip?

sure..soon as I can figure out how to crop just the carpet texture to make the file small enough...making the bump map 300 dpi seemed to do the trick, but I also changed the nature of that file..different kind of "noise."

that might have helped, too.

J

Johnny
04-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Here are two close up, short clips of the fixed texture. Note: first movie is an Apple Pixlet file. This texture isn't as fine and "gritty" as I used before, so not sure if making that bump file 300 dpi was enough by itself to squash the squirming?

So, what does not happen with this floor texture is that it doesn't vibrate, and it doesn't migrate as tho being pulled from one section to another. the apparent "motion" of these sample clips is that of the camera moving over the surface.

J

Pixlet Movie (899K) (http://www.bluemitten.com/carpet.mov)

Non-pixlet close up movie of texture (180K) (http://www.bluemitten.com/carpet2.mov)

toby
04-27-2005, 03:26 PM
whoa, the camera is moving really fast, I think we have the classic wagon-wheel thing here. The texture's not moving, it just looks like it because the camera has moved to the next patch in less than one frame.

I think if that were a real camera, the texure would be motion-blurred out drastically. Are you rendering this with 50% motion blur?

Johnny
04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
whoa, the camera is moving really fast, I think we have the classic wagon-wheel thing here. The texture's not moving, it just looks like it because the camera has moved to the next patch in less than one frame.

I think if that were a real camera, the texure would be motion-blurred out drastically. Are you rendering this with 50% motion blur?

that was just a sample clip to show the texture..yeah, the cam IS whizzing along, but the texture doesn't "squirm"

I can do another clip with a slower-moving camera and post it when I get my ethernet set up acting right again! :-)

J