PDA

View Full Version : How many points does a 3d artist need?

dblanky
04-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Point limit per polygon increased from 1024 to 16383. (lightwave 8.3)

I'm struggling here, now I cant think of any reason where I would need to use a polygon with 1024 points let alone 16383! Just wondering if anyone has actually hit that amount of points on a polygon, then actually had the need to put more!

Thanks

Celshader
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone has actually hit that amount of points on a polygon, then actually had the need to put more!

I haven't hit the existing limit with my own work. My feeble guess is that the limit caused trouble for logo guys dealing with reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally complicated fonts...

BeeVee
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
My personal hooray for it will be making slices out of 3D scans of heads... :)

B

Jockomo
04-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Yea it's pretty easy to hit that point count wall when doing booleans on highly detailed objects.

It'd be nice if the boolean function could just divide the poly in half and keep working, instead of just quitting and giving you an error.

Gui Lo
04-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Good looking text can use a lot of point in a single poly. I'm sure I read that this was a fix mainly for the eps exporter.

-NG-
04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
My personal hooray for it will be making slices out of 3D scans of heads... :)

B

Based on that comment.....will LW feature skinning tools or techniques in the near future. :p

Librarian
04-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I would be more happy if we could subpatch objects with more than 4 points.
C`mon Newtek, itīs about time.
Really, I donīt want to wait for another two updates or longer :(

Bigboy
04-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Well....*cough*....yeah..I've hit it. I was cutting some text into a poly, and I had to split it up. I prefer large single polygons rather than lots of tri's. I cant see whats going on if theres 1,000's of tris.

So a higher limit is good :)

Captain Obvious
04-22-2005, 01:21 AM
My guess is that somebody, at some point, complained about it and NewTek figured "ah well, we'll make the max a bit higher, no biggie." From a programming point of view, this was probably a piece of cake to change, and it doesn't hurt anything, so why not change it? ;)

Karmacop
04-22-2005, 01:28 AM
What's interesting is that the limit was 16383 points per polygon in 5.6 (and I presume before hand). It was only when 6.0 cam out that the points per poly went down to 1024. I don't know why this was, but it meant there were some objects on the lw6 cd (the ones from 5.6) that had polys with too many points, thus breaking some old objects. Crazy.

mattclary
04-22-2005, 06:36 AM
How many points does a 3d artist need?

Technically speaking, 3. ;)

faulknermano
04-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Point limit per polygon increased from 1024 to 16383. (lightwave 8.3)

I'm struggling here, now I cant think of any reason where I would need to use a polygon with 1024 points let alone 16383! Just wondering if anyone has actually hit that amount of points on a polygon, then actually had the need to put more!

Thanks

i'm thankful for this, actually. i hit that limit a few days ago while creating a piece of flat ice that was supposed to be broken in half. of course, the definition of the "crack" made it necessary to add LOTS of points on the same plane. of course, i just subdivided it. ;)

TSpyrison
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM

Now that was funny! :D

Karmacop
04-22-2005, 08:05 AM

only if they're linearly independent, otherwise you'll need more ;)

Maths jokes huh? :p

NanoGator
04-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Heh. I ran into that limit ages ago. Complex solid drill.

To answer your question: It's GREAT when you're modelling and using n-gons to keep things clean. However, it does reach a point of absurdity. You end up wanting to triple the N-gons at some point.

romrom74
04-22-2005, 02:38 PM
To answer your question: It's GREAT when you're modelling and using n-gons to keep things clean. However, it does reach a point of absurdity. You end up wanting to triple the N-gons at some point.
not necessarely...
eg :for the past few months,...I work in the simulation field where you need to handle huge vector datas defining contours of toppologic features in terrains... I often have to deal with 2D closed geovectors datas composed of 2000 or maybe 100000 points which can be easily loaded in dxf or eps in illustrator for instance but not (previously) in LW. Huge n-gons are in this case similar to a closed polyline in AI, but in 3D, with all the benefits that come with...
However, for me the advantage is pricelesssssss....

NanoGator
04-22-2005, 02:43 PM
not necessarely...
eg :for the past few months,...I work in the simulation field where you need to handle huge vector datas defining contours of toppologic features in terrains... I often have to deal with 2D closed geovectors datas composed of 2000 or maybe 100000 points which can be easily loaded in dxf or eps in illustrator for instance but not (previously) in LW. Huge n-gons are in this case similar to a closed polyline in AI, but in 3D, with all the benefits that come with...
However, for me the advantage is pricelesssssss....

Eh.. I could have clarified a bit. I don't know if it's true today, but back in the LW 6.0/6.5 days, I played with an n-gon that had a LOT of points. Rotating it was VERY slow. That's what I meant by 'point of absurdity', but I neglected to express it.

Matt
04-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Given the choice, even if I never use that many - it's good to know I can! :)

NanoGator
04-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Given the choice, even if I never use that many - it's good to know I can! :)

Well, lemme put it this way: The reason I know about the 1024 point limit is because one day I had to split up a polygon for a particular operation. In other words, an error message came up and caused me to grit my teeth. You may never have to grit your teeth, now. hehe

riki
04-22-2005, 08:06 PM
You might want to import and intricate EPS pattern into Modeler and want to keep it a single poly to extrude and bevel.