PDA

View Full Version : any trick for reflection without using raytracing

Jirapong
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
A stupic question,

Is there any way to get reflection without spend long time for raytracing reflection.
For big building with lot of glass, it's painful.

Thanks,

NigelH
04-21-2005, 01:12 PM
A reflection map is generally used for exactly the situation you're referring to.

In the surface editor, go to the 'Environment' tab for your glass surface, and pull down the menu for 'Reflection Map'. There, you can load an image of anything you want reflected in the glass (most likely a rendering of the surrounding elements of your scene and sky).

Jirapong
04-21-2005, 02:16 PM
THANKS,

It's one way I can use.
Also, I mean reflection of the building in the water of the building itself in its own glass curtain wall at the corner.

Thanks anyway,

Jirapong

toby
04-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Build all of your own reflection maps - put a camera anywhere you want a reflection and render a still for the map - 90% of Star Wars Ep. 1 reflections were done this way.

You may have to make them into spherical maps or project the image from a camera since the reflection mapping only uses spherical. I do remember a Cubic mapping plug-in on Flay, but I don't remember what it's called...

Spaceman Spiff
04-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Here is a trick that has very limited use, but I used it when Lightwave was called Videoscape, which was before ray traced anything and before any type of mapping was available.

when there is supposed to be a reflection in a generally flat surface (like beneath the waters surface) I would simply make a mirror of the object that was supposed to be "reflected", and flip it over beneath the "water", with the appropriate modification to motions (x*1, z*1, y*-1 etc.).

It ain't perfect, but in a pinch (usually a deadline :-) it can be made to work...

Good luck,

Spiff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Known to have had WMDs *and* directly sponsor terror:
http://wordofmessiah.org/images/saddam1.jpg